Dún na nGall v Cill Dara

Started by Donnellys Hollow, July 24, 2011, 07:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilySavage

For starters, he hardly ever complains about referees. He always says he wont talk about them. So you're clearly wrong. If you think Meath would have beaten us had Geraghtys goal been allowed, you clearly havent a clue about football.

Hound

Quote from: LilySavage on August 02, 2011, 11:28:57 AM
For starters, he hardly ever complains about referees. He always says he wont talk about them. So you're clearly wrong. If you think Meath would have beaten us had Geraghtys goal been allowed, you clearly havent a clue about football.
The momentum change would have been massive.
A body blow to Kildare having dominated so much of the game to have it back in the melting pot.
Impossible to know who would have won, but for sure Meath would have been right back in it.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: PAULD123 on August 02, 2011, 11:18:00 AM
How has everyone become so obsessed with isolated referee decisions made against Kildare?

Because us Kildare folk are generally seen as an affable, likeable (and modest!) lot and people like to see us doing well.

McGeeney didn't complain that Kildare should have beaten when they got a bad decision given in their favour against Meath.

Of course he didn't and sure why would he? Think of it as compensation for all those savage beatings that the angelic Martin Lynch was subjected to at the hands of various Meathmen down the years.

He didn't complain when Callaghan was allowed to take eleven steps to score a goal against Down

Sure poor Leper thought he was running around Punchestown given that he had a Downman up on his back at the time.

He didn't complain about all the fouls they got away with on Bernard Brogan.

What fouls? Sure everyone in Ireland (apart from Ollie Lyons and Andrew McLoughlin unfortunately) is fully aware of rule 55.2 in the GAA rulebook: Thou shalt not even fart within a five metre radius of Bernard Brogan.

The media are highly responsible for building a ridiculous "Poor Kildare" myth. It is wrong and it is dangerous.

You're damn right it's a myth and it is dangerous. Poor Kildare? Sure Kildare is the richest county in Ireland. Poverty is something that Kildare folk had never witnessed until the huddled masses from the big smoke started to colonise Leixlip/Maynooth/Celbridge/Clane/Kilcock/Naas/Newbridge etc during the 1990s. It's devestating that we lost on Saturday but at least our Range Rovers, our horses and our wrought iron remote controlled gates are of some comfort to us.

It is dangerous because it effectively puts pressure on referees to call big calls in Kildare's favour because they know it will be highlighted. Effectively the situation is being generated where Kildare will have a better than favour advantage in marginal decisions.

:D

That theory is working out well for us so far anyway!!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

QuoteMcGeeney didn't complain that Kildare should have beaten when they got a bad decision given in their favour against Meath

Even the most ardent Meath realised that decision would not have affected the dynamic of the game to such an extent that they would have won the game if it was allowed stand,  stop trying put a revisionist spin on it to suit your agenda. Kildare won by 6 points pulling up.
He didn't complain when Callaghan was allowed to take eleven steps to score a goal against Down, or that the referee allowed them to play six and a half minutes extra time when three had been allocated

Over-carrying happens in every game, some get called some don't, blatant square balls don't happen every game. Considering the amount of time-wasting Down did and all the hullabaloo over the last free 6 and a half minutes was probably fair. I notice you didn't counter anything to Alan Smith's perfectly legitimate point that was disallowed in the same game
He didn't complain about all the fouls they got away with on Bernard Brogan

More revisionism to suit your agenda.

McGeeney never complains about referee's directly, he will complain about inconsistency and the lack of accountability for errors they make. Referee's are there to adjudicate on the crucial decisions that is why they were appointed in the first place and too many times this season they have got it wrong.

The public and the media want better standards of refereeing, there is no bandwagon or public support of 'Poor Kildare'. You need to pull your head out of your arse and realise that the standard of refereeing has declined to desperate levels, they haven't kept pace with the modern approach and are making too many decisions from behind the play of the game.
#newbridgeornowhere

The Burner

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 02, 2011, 12:15:44 PM
QuoteMcGeeney didn't complain that Kildare should have beaten when they got a bad decision given in their favour against Meath

Even the most ardent Meath realised that decision would not have affected the dynamic of the game to such an extent that they would have won the game if it was allowed stand,  stop trying put a revisionist spin on it to suit your agenda. Kildare won by 6 points pulling up.
He didn't complain when Callaghan was allowed to take eleven steps to score a goal against Down, or that the referee allowed them to play six and a half minutes extra time when three had been allocated

Over-carrying happens in every game, some get called some don't, blatant square balls don't happen every game. Considering the amount of time-wasting Down did and all the hullabaloo over the last free 6 and a half minutes was probably fair. I notice you didn't counter anything to Alan Smith's perfectly legitimate point that was disallowed in the same game
He didn't complain about all the fouls they got away with on Bernard Brogan

More revisionism to suit your agenda.

McGeeney never complains about referee's directly, he will complain about inconsistency and the lack of accountability for errors they make. Referee's are there to adjudicate on the crucial decisions that is why they were appointed in the first place and too many times this season they have got it wrong.

The public and the media want better standards of refereeing, there is no bandwagon or public support of 'Poor Kildare'. You need to pull your head out of your arse and realise that the standard of refereeing has declined to desperate levels, they haven't kept pace with the modern approach and are making too many decisions from behind the play of the game.

As a county that has suffered similarly at the hands of disgraceful refereeing decisions (namely from a small little man from Armagh)  I have a certain amount of sympathy for Kildare. i still to this day cannot understand how the great man didnt get a penalty against Cork last year. Not to mention the penalty Seanie Buckley should have had in the same match. I could go one but it will only put a strain on my brain

PAULD123

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 02, 2011, 12:15:44 PM

Firstly, for Alan Smiths shot, I was right in line with it and the umpire, the umpire was 100% correct, the ball was wide.

As for your illegal goal, Oh I see, that's why Kildare are so hard done by? I didn't understand that you are allowed to score a completely illegal goal because your goal was scored by over carrying. I didn't realise that the rules don't need to be applied equally to all cases. Clearly if it a rule broken that allows a Kildare goal then it isn't an important rule and doesn't matter, but if it a rule broken that allows a goal against you then it is terrible and an offence to all right minded people.

Now catch a grip of yourself, if you get a goal given against you because a player was not pulled up for a technical offence and then you get given a goal because your player was not pulled up for a technical offence it is the same thing exactly. And goals scored by over carrying eleven steps DO NOT happen in every game. Stop talking foolish nonsense, trying to imply that one is worse than the other.

Quit with the bleeding heart attitude.

Croí na hÉireann

Coldrick gave a great display of referring on Saturday apart from the one obvious exception. You couldn't even hold that decision against him, he simply guessed wrong. The square ball rule is unenforceable as is and the solution isn't the one from the league last year that is being lauded by the buckos on TSG. That too is equally unenforceable. There was one other decision that I thought Coldrick got horribly wrong towards the end of extra time when Smith (I think) looked to have being fouled. However another camera angle on TSG showed it clearly wasn't a foul so well done again Mr. Coldrick.

Sat was one of the worst halves of football followed by sheer compulsive viewing. You know a match is good when the wife ends up plonking herself on the couch to watch it. Kildare must feel they're cursed but they didn't help their cause by playing Rob Kelly so far from goal. Thought he should have been pulled around the 50th minute but he was still there in the second half of extra time, much more effective inside. Neil McGee gave the best display at full back I've seen this year and I've never seen anyone so exhausted after a match as Karl Lacey. Some fantastic points from both teams and what a winner from Kevin Cassidy, I'd have loved to have taken in the replay along with the Dublin Tyrone game this Sat but that was as good a score to win it as you will see.

I thought it was poor form from both managements regarding the newspaper comments, Kildare shouldn't have done it and Donegal shouldn't have responded. McGuinness should have followed Cody's example in 07 where he didn't acknowledge Loughnane's pre match comments about Kilkenny slapping the oppositions hands and their savagery. It was only when Loughnane repeated his comments before the final and the AI was won that Cody blew his top.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Applesisapples

I would agree that by and large David Coldrick did a good job, I would disagree with the difficulty he had on the square ball, it was an easy decision to allow the goal, even from 40 yards it was never a square ball. That said Geezer and Co need only look to themselves for a reason for their defeat. Donegal should never have been close enough for that disallowed goal to matter. Donegal have good players despite what their system would suggest, you fail to put them away at your peril...a bit like Armagh when McGeeney was playing...touch of irony eh?

Dinny Breen

QuoteFirstly, for Alan Smiths shot, I was right in line with it and the umpire, the umpire was 100% correct, the ball was wide.

You're blind then, every TV angle showed conclusively it was over the bar and you are 100% wrong.

You will see dozens if incidents of over-carrying in any one game, you will not see dozens of square balls that is the subtle difference.  The outcome of the over-carry is irrelevant in this context Down players over carried in that game as well, how many illegal square ball goals did Kildare score?

I have yet to see any Kildare fan profess a bleeding heart attitude, we know we're not good enough to win an All-Ireland and while we rue our bad luck we don't blame it. Kildare fans live in reality you live in a bubble and believe your opinion is absolute fact.
#newbridgeornowhere

PAULD123

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 02, 2011, 02:58:05 PM
QuoteFirstly, for Alan Smiths shot, I was right in line with it and the umpire, the umpire was 100% correct, the ball was wide.

You're blind then, every TV angle showed conclusively it was over the bar and you are 100% wrong.

You will see dozens if incidents of over-carrying in any one game, you will not see dozens of square balls that is the subtle difference.  The outcome of the over-carry is irrelevant in this context Down players over carried in that game as well, how many illegal square ball goals did Kildare score?

I have yet to see any Kildare fan profess a bleeding heart attitude, we know we're not good enough to win an All-Ireland and while we rue our bad luck we don't blame it. Kildare fans live in reality you live in a bubble and believe your opinion is absolute fact.

What sort of bubble do you live in with a statement like that? In this context you were allowed a goal. That is about as far from irrelevant as can be imagined. In keeping with your own attitude, how many goals were scored where the scorer took eleven steps? Oh yeah that's right just the one, NOT DOZENS! Catch a grip, you were allowed a goal that should not have stood because of a technical offence. It is a simple as that. Down scored an illegal goal, Kildare scored an illegal goal. Neither goal should have been allowed. Seriously, catch yourself on.

What is it in your fantasy world? All rules are equal but some rules are more equal than others?????

Dinny Breen

You need to realise the world is not black and white, over-carrying while a technical offence is far more open to referee interpretation than a player standing in a square waiting for a ball to arrive hence you will get plenty of over carrying incidents in any match at any level, Down got away with some Kildare got away with some, O'Callaghan was been fouled the ref played an advantage and he happened to score a goal the consequences shouldn't matter as a ref will always allow incidents of over-carrying in every game. Jesus you swear Down lost the game with your whinging.

If you were a ref I bet you'd be a pedantic p***k. Not that I'm call you a p***k.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 02, 2011, 03:23:46 PM
Why bother Dinny?

I know I know, I'm getting dragged down to his level and getting hammered on experience.

#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Typical flourbags.
Always causing rows.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

bennydorano

Suprised Paddy Heaney's 'against the breeze' column in today's Irish News hasn't got a mention. A bit anti-geezer for my liking, i was a bit taken aback by it tbh.