Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

That's not so bad then. A good few of those could strengthen up the half forward line.

To be honest I wouldn't put Kevin Niblock in St Galls best 15 never mind Antrim's.

Cunningham, Quinn, Brady,Scullion and I'd say maybe Loughrey should start in the c'ship which is a brave few.

Haven't seen much of Carlin so not sure what he's like but looking at that team the biggest changes I would see(or would like to see) would be to HB and HF lines.

Where's Doherty from Rasharkin at? He still on the panel?

imtommygunn

I see Owen Quinn is the ref. for the u21 football final.

Fair play - must be doing well for someone so young.

charlie stubbs

doherty got 13 stitches to aneye wound in a club game recently

johnjoe

Reference Owen Quinn. Definitely the best referee I have seen for a long time. Common sense approach and liked by the players as well. Has a big future in refereeing if he sticks at it. Lets the game flow, and dosent try to be the centre of attention.

PlayWithTheWind

doc was playin a club game against mcdermotts and got a clip round the eye

u21 final- friday nite 7pm at casmement??
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

johnjoe

Wonder will the u-21 management be at the u-21 final, and when its over, will they be big enough to turn round and say that they seriously cocked up over their rating of Michael Pollock.

Saw the guy in a senior league game a few weeks ago, and he looked in a different class, despite quite a few recent past and present county players. How the fcuk he was overlooked by Mister O`Pray and co is beyond me, and quite a few others I have to say.

Just wonder will he have the balls to own up to a serious misjudgement. And to think that some of last years management didnt rate Crozier either, it really makes you think that some selectors really do have their own (club) agendas.

gallsman

Quote from: johnjoe on May 15, 2007, 01:00:24 PM
Wonder will the u-21 management be at the u-21 final, and when its over, will they be big enough to turn round and say that they seriously cocked up over their rating of Michael Pollock.

Saw the guy in a senior league game a few weeks ago, and he looked in a different class, despite quite a few recent past and present county players. How the fcuk he was overlooked by Mister O`Pray and co is beyond me, and quite a few others I have to say.

Just wonder will he have the balls to own up to a serious misjudgement. And to think that some of last years management didnt rate Crozier either, it really makes you think that some selectors really do have their own (club) agendas.

I think you'll find that Crozier was indeed very highly rated. As he was still a minor, they had first call on him, and O'Prey had him play a meaningless league game instead of releasing him for the Tyrone match.

gallsman

Quote from: hardstation on May 16, 2007, 12:24:31 AM
QuoteO'Prey had him play a meaningless league game instead of releasing him for the Tyrone match.
Which game was this?
Pollock must have been gutted. He wasn't even picked for the bench. To think of the players he had (especially from his own club) instead of Pollock is laughable. What was he at?

I don't know exactly who the opposition were, but it was same game that CJ missed due to La Salle playing in the All-Ireland B Final against Tubbercurry.

saffron sam2

Quote from: gallsman on May 16, 2007, 09:22:24 AM
Quote from: hardstation on May 16, 2007, 12:24:31 AM
QuoteO'Prey had him play a meaningless league game instead of releasing him for the Tyrone match.
Which game was this?
Pollock must have been gutted. He wasn't even picked for the bench. To think of the players he had (especially from his own club) instead of Pollock is laughable. What was he at?

I don't know exactly who the opposition were, but it was same game that CJ missed due to La Salle playing in the All-Ireland B Final against Tubbercurry.

Crozier and McGourty played for Antrim minors in a whack-fuckery Ulster Minor league game against Derry, when they should have been playing against Tyrone in the under-21 championship. 
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

johnjoe

Sam 2, nearly, but not true. CJ played for La Salle in the All-Ireland B colleges semi-final, and scored 4-6. He chose to play for the school, and that was his call. There was a big push at La Salle for a national title, but they ended up well beaten in the final!

The Crozier thing well debated here, although the whole truth has never surfaced.

There were many participants to the sorry saga, and unfortunately it involved a sad tale of events that has never surfaced. I could write a book about it, but its over a year ago, and is old news now. Except to say that in-explicable bungling at the highest level, pure nepotism, egotism, and worst of all, sheer non rating of a player as good as Crozier, resulted in the throwing away of a great chance to win an all-Ireland football title.

Imagine a forward line with Crozier at 12, and either CJ or Pollock at 15. Instead we got Gribbon(St Galls) and Meade(St Johns).
Gribbon and Meade both taken off early in the game!

Less than 6 months later, CJ and Crozier make senior county debuts. Meade and Gribbon struggle to make their club teams!

Point made.

No big deal, sure that happens all the time in Antrim. NOT.

(Dont get me started)

saffron sam2

Quote from: johnjoe on May 16, 2007, 11:07:18 AM
Sam 2, nearly, but not true. CJ played for La Salle in the All-Ireland B colleges semi-final, and scored 4-6. He chose to play for the school, and that was his call. There was a big push at La Salle for a national title, but they ended up well beaten in the final!

The Crozier thing well debated here, although the whole truth has never surfaced.

There were many participants to the sorry saga, and unfortunately it involved a sad tale of events that has never surfaced. I could write a book about it, but its over a year ago, and is old news now. Except to say that in-explicable bungling at the highest level, pure nepotism, egotism, and worst of all, sheer non rating of a player as good as Crozier, resulted in the throwing away of a great chance to win an all-Ireland football title.

Imagine a forward line with Crozier at 12, and either CJ or Pollock at 15. Instead we got Gribbon(St Galls) and Meade(St Johns).
Gribbon and Meade both taken off early in the game!

Less than 6 months later, CJ and Crozier make senior county debuts. Meade and Gribbon struggle to make their club teams!

Point made.

No big deal, sure that happens all the time in Antrim. NOT.

(Dont get me started)

Apologies, you're right.  No real choice between school and county for McGourty, though he wouldn't have been allowed to play (by the minor management) regardless of availability.

Both Crozier and Pollock started in the first round against Fermanagh, but were replaced by Meade and Conor McCartan during that game.  At least one of those two is the worst inter-county footballer I have ever seen.  That team certainly had the best chance of an All-Ireland for Antrim in recent times but other things intervened.

My opinions on this are well known - as you say, don't get me started.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

culchy1

hi johnjoe, ur surname wudnt be mcdoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowell, wud it be ye boy ye.

i know you's in portglenyin are behind the times, i take it u have just recently watched borat, pause,  NOT! ;D

sean stinkins had a good win on sunday in the feile, all the best in all-irelands.

imtommygunn

By all accounts your man Pollock is almost unmarkable this year though I've not seen him. The u21 setup this year really was proved to be a bit of a joke when the team with the a good bulk the squad got dumped out in the preliminary.I think there were players from last year, good players, who weren't played this year too.

Still - hopefully someone will notice this and they'll not get another chance.

PlayWithTheWind

going by what i heard, Pollock didnt give his all in training as he thught he was a sure starter. also, ive heard he's a bit greedy!
but thats all over with now. app the minors are gettin on rightly?

who will manage the u21's next yr? it would be the year were o'prey can pick from both minor squards he took, will he get the job?
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

imtommygunn

Apparently they beat Galway by 5 points in a friendly.

Not sure who their stars are but I think most of the team would be from Belfast - I think one of the schools,can't mind which, did well in the McLarnon. I know of one Dunloy and one Stinsons too.

Who knows about management. Maybe your man O'Prey will be able to take that minor team right through. Two have already even made it into senior.