Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhic Easmuint

Just read some of the Stinsons debate from the Derry thread. 
Max,
What factual basis have you that Portglenone would be able to field underage teams on there own?
If you ask any of them team managers over the last few years they would tell you it wouldn't be possible to field 15 aside without Stinsons.  There may be the odd exception where at a specific age group 15 aside could be fielded, but it couldn't be done for all teams.

johnjoe

Unlikely if Max would want to stay involved in this discussion. He has already dug a big enough hole for himself, all without factual evidence to back it up!

Bottom line is birthrate stats are falling rapidly, and a lot of rural clubs will be needing to join up for juvenile purposes. When Portglenone went solo, they were a division four team, fact. Within a few years of the amalgamation with Ahoghill, they were winning four in a row minor c`ships. This in turn fed a winning mentality, and currently Portglenone are up in the top four or five teams in the county.

Now, where is the difficulty with all this. If it was a case that they were continually too strong for other SW clubs, at juvenile level, then you could see how some clubs may find this unfair. But in reality their success rate in juvenile competition just about manages to get them into the top four or five in the SW.

Its a no brainer really, the important thing is to promote the game, and all involved in Stinsons realise that its a step that is essential to be able to field teams. What Max thinks of the situation is irrelevant, and is exposed for the hypocritical rant it was. (Bellaghy and Ballynease GAC)

aontroim

OK this is not about football but is relevant to the current debate.

2007 will see the introduction of a new amalgamation hurling club in the glens - St. Brendan's - this is an amalgamation of 3 clubs - Cloughmills, Cushendun and Glenravel.

Apart from U14 level where Cushendun have numbers to field on their own - all other grades will be St. Brendan's. Just shows the direction things are headed for rural clubs with no centre of population to draw from.

Uladh

Interesting piece in the star yesterday from mchugh on you boys and why antrim players aren't performing for the county when they are every bit as good and better than their counterparts from other counties at university level. any thoughts on that hypothesis?

imtommygunn

Have you got the article Uladh?

I would say that it's only this last year or two they've started to perform at the same level at university.

You look at it and over the last ten years there'd not be a significant number of Antrim players who could get on sigerson teams - you'd a lot this year granted but before that quinn, brady, madden, owen doherty and sean kelly were the only ones I mind.

There is no doubt about it - the standard of football in Antrim is better than the county team situation would suggest. Sure a club won the ulster club the other year and then there was another team who beat them this year which would suggest club football isn't that unhealthy. Outside the top 3 or 4 you may be struggling though.

johnjoe

If is, as we all know, a small word with a big meaning.

But IF Crozier hadnt have played for the minors that day, and IF CJ hadnt played for La Salle, Antrim would have won last years Ulster u-21 c`ship. They ran the winnersTyrone, to two points(one highly disputed) in Omagh in the semi-final.

If they had been available, and the tie at Casement, then I`d reckon Antrim would have been far too strong for Tyrone( who by the way ran away with an All-Ireland minor title with largely the same squad)

In fact, with those two available, and the St Galls lads well settled into the team following their AI club exploits, then I would have expected that Antrim side to have gone the whole way.

When this group matures in the next year or so, Antrim will be a major force to be reckoned with. Mc Hugh can have his own opinion, but Antrim football is on a steady progress chart.

This group of players do not need to be told that. They are a good bunch(and they know they are) who will make it happen for themselves.  Its up to the rest of us to share their BELIEF.

Ethan Edwards

I have herad that the Aontroim v Loch Garman match this weekend is on Saturday night under lights , is this true ????
That'll Be The Day

SlimShady

Quote from: johnjoe on March 07, 2007, 02:41:45 PM
If is, as we all know, a small word with a big meaning.

But IF Crozier hadnt have played for the minors that day, and IF CJ hadnt played for La Salle, Antrim would have won last years Ulster u-21 c`ship. They ran the winnersTyrone, to two points(one highly disputed) in Omagh in the semi-final.

If they had been available, and the tie at Casement, then I`d reckon Antrim would have been far too strong for Tyrone( who by the way ran away with an All-Ireland minor title with largely the same squad)

In fact, with those two available, and the St Galls lads well settled into the team following their AI club exploits, then I would have expected that Antrim side to have gone the whole way.

When this group matures in the next year or so, Antrim will be a major force to be reckoned with. Mc Hugh can have his own opinion, but Antrim football is on a steady progress chart.

This group of players do not need to be told that. They are a good bunch(and they know they are) who will make it happen for themselves.  Its up to the rest of us to share their BELIEF.

you make it sound like Crozier opted to play for the minors when both you and i  know it wasnt the case.... isnt that right johnjoe?

johnjoe

Slim, the whole Crozier thing took on a life of its own. In fairness the lad himself was blameless - put in a really tight spot not of his doing. But there were a lot of influences at work, some trying hard to get him freed up, others trying to make sure he wasnt freed up. Some selectors wanting him in against Tyrone, and others unbelievably reckoning he was over-rated.

Wonder did they think he was over-rated after his display against St Galls. Muppets. Probably cost us an Ulster. Personally I`m his biggest fan, and have been looking out for him since he was about 15. Class act. Sigerson medal and co senior at 19. All we need is a few more like him!

Syd The Sailor

Why are we harping back to "what could have been " last year against Tyrone U-21's ? Lets move on.....
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

loughshore lad

Saw Justin Crozier play a few times between playing for Cargin seniors, Antrim minors and in the McRory cup. He was absolutely outstanding every game I saw him no doubt about it hes a class act, reminded me of Henry Downey the way he carried the game to the opposition.
well saying he has Tyrone blood in him  ;)

SlimShady

He won a Sigerson medal, a Senior C'ship medal and an U-21 Club C'ship medal all in the one year.

not a bad year i suppose  :P

Sausalito Bay

Quote from: SlimShady on March 07, 2007, 03:53:02 PM
He won a Sigerson medal, a Senior C'ship medal and an U-21 Club C'ship medal all in the one year.

not a bad year i suppose  :P

Surely the SFC and U21 were last year?

SlimShady

March 2006 he had none of those medals, March 2007 he has the 3 of them.

NOT A BAD YEAR!