Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slow corner back

Things are at a pretty low ebb up here. We dropped to the junior championship this year and could not even win it. I am not taking anything away from Ahoghill who beat us well on the day but its not that many years since we used to be winning that championship with our reserves.
As for the juveniles we have been unable to field an underage team as Armoy for about six years now. We combined with Carey to form Glenshesk at underage but even then sometimes struggle to get teams out. As for our underage coaching, there are some good people involved with Glenshesk but if I was being totally honest I suspect that since Glenshesk formed Carey have pulled more than 50% of the weight in mentoring team organising etc.
Basically we have spent 10-15 years improving our club rooms, pitch car park etc etc which are now very good. Unfortunately if you put all your effort into that there is not a lot left for coaching players as is evidenced by our league performances

theskull1

In fairness SCB, I think too many administrations are becoming more and more interested in faciities and are neglecting the most important area within their clubs..development of young people within their community. I have noticed this within my own club and it has had a noticable affect. I think it's time the penduleum swung the other way.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

never kickt a ball

Have to agree with you skull. I was thinking exactly the same this week.

goldenyears

folks, can anyone give me a background or opinion on hugh mcgettigan? he was a selector under brian white? whats his coaching/managerial capability etc etc. thanks

SlimShady

he managed Creggan there for a few years before they got Mickey Moran in. He didnt win anything with them but i wouldnt read much into that as they're shite.

saffronman

slim thats a bit of cargin shite talk, to be fair to creggan they havent the selection of players that other big clubs like yours have but their committed to the jersey and want to improve. i thought mcgettigan did as much as he could with the players available to him.

SlimShady

don't get me wrong, I've seen McGettigan in action close hand and think he's a good manager-his man management is excellent. Top bloke.

However, Cargin shite talk it is not, Creggan are shite. Though they have 8 players on the County Panel at the minute so who knows!!  ;D :D ;D

SlimShady

under 21's this weekend, who's left in it? is it at semi final stage with us, Gort na Mona, St Galls and St Johns or is there more?

Gallsman are u playing? its all a bit farcical playing it in December like. typical  :-\

Gnevin

Whats a realistic goal the Antrim hurlers this year ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

reiteoir

I hear that the Casement Social Club meeting was held last night and there are a few members looking to break away from the County Board. The County Chairman is always the Chairman of Casement and the Secretary and Treasurer are also the County Secretary and Treasurer, well these boys want to be able to fill these posts themselves. That means then that the GAA will have no control over the place. From what I can gather the County solicitor got involved.

The way I see it is that if these boys take Casement Social club away from the control of the GAA then they should be turfed out as the money generated by the club is used for our teams.

I admit my opinion is based on third hand info but the ring leader is a real shit stirrer. Anybody know the craic?

milltown row

Minors are playing in the Ulster Competition at St Pauls. Not sure if the Jonnies game is on. Cant believe the county did not sort out the minor final......Hollow victory

gallsman

U21? Slim, the last I heard of the U21 was back in August when we beat Aldergrove and reckoned the semi with the Johnnies would be the following week. Haven't heard a f**king thing since! I'm coming home for the minor game this weekend, lots of lads still there from our wonder team last year, hopefully they can go further!

culchy1

does any1 know what the craic is with the res champ! were sarfields chucked out ?

culchy1

also i heard the other nite that frank delargy is the new portglenyin boss an paddy mcneill who trained the county seniors last year, is training them. u heard it here first !!
heard hugh mcgettigan has been approached bout a few jobs aswell!
anyone else hear any news of new managers in the county, who will be takin galls next year, mcgourtys da maybe?

Sausalito Bay

Quote from: culchy1 on December 01, 2006, 10:15:18 AM
also i heard the other nite that frank delargy is the new portglenyin boss an paddy mcneill who trained the county seniors last year, is training them. u heard it here first !!
heard hugh mcgettigan has been approached bout a few jobs aswell!
anyone else hear any news of new managers in the county, who will be takin galls next year, mcgourtys da maybe?

I have a feeling this won't be happening if what I've heard is true, mind you you couldn't make it up. According to our chairman, this Delargy fella approached one of our "stars" asking him to move to Portglenone and he would pay him expenses! Disgraceful you might think, but it gets funnier.

Apparently Delargy didn't even have the job confirmed when this happened, and Portglenones committee found out what he had been doing they promptly ruled him out of the running (to their credit). This came from a call from the Portglenone secretary to our chairman to let him know they knew nothing about Delargys tapping up so I'd say its true enough.