GAA Vs Soccer (humorous)

Started by AbbeySider, November 28, 2006, 02:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 30, 2006, 09:49:17 AM
Has anyone else noticed the correlation between the posters who took this humorous post to heart and those that post on the "Non-Gaa Discussion" board.
Reading back on their posts in the other board its fairly obvious that they are more concerned with non-gaa discussions.

I would love to see the other board being scrapped... immediately or at least hosted on some other URL and not "gaaboard.com"

It is a contradiction that posters would defend soccer against Gaa in a post that was marked "Humorous" that was meant to be taken in jest on a Gaa discussion board.

::)

Good Grief! Is every GAA supporter so "precious"? Somebody puts up a humourous thread taking the piss out of soccer, and a soccer fan replies in kind. Now I accept that it may not have been funny - I didn't spend any more time than it took to type out a reply to each point - but neither was it defaming anyone, either.
Perhaps "crowd reaction" is one of the differences between the two codes? In soccer, that's exactly the sort of thing which happens all the time between Arsenal and Spurs, England and Scotland, Roma and Lazio etc: it's called banter.
Should I have covered my reply in wee smilies, or posted an American-style Disclaimer? (I had hoped that my closing "each to his own" comment, with cheesy grin icon, was sufficient to show I was only after a laugh)
And as for the idea that I haven't even the right to reply on what is, after all, a public forum: well, I'm sorry, but that seems rather insular to me (And before anyone says that that same sort of thing occurs in reverse e.g. on OWC, I deplore it there, as well)
For myself, I have been an occasional browser on this Board for a while now, but only thought to start posting recently (the new format is much simpler and better, I find).
I freely admit I know so little about GAA that I confine myself to the Non-GAA Section, since I am not normally qualified to comment in this section. Nonetheless, I have found some of the threads in this section very interesting and informative.
The two exceptions have been the thread I started on the Maze Stadium, which clearly has a "crossover" interest between GAA and soccer and where I was merely seeking GAA opinion; and this thread, which was clearly light-hearted.

Anyhow, as a bit of a "newbie", are there any more "sacred texts" which are immune from anything other than the utmost reverence? I must say, I'm glad I never got round to posting the cartoon of Peter Canavan my Danish newspaper chum drew for me... ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

dubnut

Genius, the post is a humerous comparison between the two.
Suggesting all hurlers are brain damaged, the GAA is 30 years behind the times, rural villages involved with the GAA are incestual, GAA players dont tend to have girlfreinds etc etc
These arent humerous replies, they are bitter insults, and not based on any facts.

You clearly have no idea about ANYTHING to do with the GAA and are here purely on the wind up.

I know you will keep posting on this thread now just to ruin it, and probably now on other threads on the GAA board, purely out of spite.

I really think Admin should look at the replies by Evil Genius re incest and brain damage etc.
Surely worth keeping an eye on.

blanketattack

Anyone who doesn't know who Cora Staunton is can't be much of a GAA fan.

dubnut

Quote from: blanketattack on November 30, 2006, 11:40:19 AM
Anyone who doesn't know who Cora Staunton is can't be much of a GAA fan.

thats the whole point he has nothing but bitterness to the gaa, only here on the wind up.

Six Inch Nail

I would just like to mention 1 point which Evil Genius makes.  It's in relation to crowd participation and atmosphere.  The reason there is so much singing and banter between rival supporters in soccer (which you would class as atmosphere) is simply becuase there is shit all happening on the field.  In gaelic, where the action is generally non stop with 20 or more scores a match the crowd don't have time for that singing shit until half time.  Gaelic games are far more exciting and therefore the crowd are on the edge of their seats with anticipation.  Soccer fans have too much time to worry about what the rival supporters are it, they know they won't miss much by taking their eyes off the field.  Atmosphere for me, is knowing me, and the whole crowd are entrailed in the on field action with pure tension.
Silverbridge Harps GAC, Co. Armagh

Evil Genius

Quote from: dubnut on November 30, 2006, 11:38:31 AM
Genius, the post is a humerous comparison between the two.
Suggesting all hurlers are brain damaged, the GAA is 30 years behind the times, rural villages involved with the GAA are incestual, GAA players dont tend to have girlfreinds etc etc
These arent humerous replies, they are bitter insults, and not based on any facts.

You clearly have no idea about ANYTHING to do with the GAA and are here purely on the wind up.

I know you will keep posting on this thread now just to ruin it, and probably now on other threads on the GAA board, purely out of spite.

I really think Admin should look at the replies by Evil Genius re incest and brain damage etc.
Surely worth keeping an eye on.

Wow! I wasn't seriously suggesting any of the things who picked out of my post. It was meant to be a joke. Fair enough, you might not actually have thought it funny - it wouldn't be the first time no-one laughed at my jokes! - but to deduce that e.g. I was genuinely claiming that "all hurlers are brain-damaged" is ludicrous. Chill out. Or get a girlfriend. (Oops, there I go again... :D)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

dubnut

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 30, 2006, 12:04:43 PM
It was meant to be a joke. Fair enough, you might not actually have thought it funny - it wouldn't be the first time no-one laughed at my jokes! - but to deduce that e.g. I was genuinely claiming that "all hurlers are brain-damaged" is ludicrous. Chill out. Or get a girlfriend. (Oops, there I go again... :D)

Dont try to claim it was a joke to get yourself off the hook.
Thats a crap excuse so you can attack the GAA and if anyone objects you call them "ludicrous".

I am perfectly chilled, and happily married not that its any of your business, what makes me "unchilled" is your anti GAA rants.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Six Inch Nail on November 30, 2006, 11:52:51 AM
I would just like to mention 1 point which Evil Genius makes.  It's in relation to crowd participation and atmosphere.  The reason there is so much singing and banter between rival supporters in soccer (which you would class as atmosphere) is simply becuase there is shit all happening on the field.  In gaelic, where the action is generally non stop with 20 or more scores a match the crowd don't have time for that singing shit until half time.  Gaelic games are far more exciting and therefore the crowd are on the edge of their seats with anticipation.  Soccer fans have too much time to worry about what the rival supporters are it, they know they won't miss much by taking their eyes off the field.  Atmosphere for me, is knowing me, and the whole crowd are entrailed in the on field action with pure tension.

Interesting. Soccer fans consider that the singing and chanting etc enhances the atmosphere, rather than detracting from it, since it is entirely possible to sing and watch at the same time. By way of comparison, I've been to a couple of rugby matches recently and whilst I enjoyed the games somewhat on their own merits, I have to say I was disappointed at how dead the atmosphere was.

Contrast that with the recent Champions League match between Celtic and Man U. I am not a fan of either side (thank Christ) and technically it wasn't a very good game, either. But even from watching on TV, it was clear that the atmosphere was outstanding, at the same time as "the whole crowd [were] entrailed in the on field action with pure tension", to borrow your phrase.

Anyhow, as I posted originally, each to his own.  :)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

dubnut

Have you ever sampled the atmosphere in Croke Park with a full house on a big GAA day?

Six Inch Nail

I agree Evil - each to his own.  I'm actually a Liverpool supporter and was in Anfield a couple of times, doesn't come near Armagh in Croker at the business end of the season.  The last time I was in Anfield I was actually pissed off by the fact that the supporters have a song for every player, waaaaay too much time on their hands.  I suppose with this train of thought you could argue that I am not a genuine soccer supporter, I have no problem with that.  Haven't been in Anfield for about 3 years now and I have no desire to change that, although I still follow Liverpool on the tele, etc.
Silverbridge Harps GAC, Co. Armagh

dubnut

Six Inch, having been to both you can give a fair comparison.
I suggest Evil Genius has never been to a big GAA game yet knows all about the atmosphere!

Evil Genius

Quote from: dubnut on November 30, 2006, 12:23:06 PM
Have you ever sampled the atmosphere in Croke Park with a full house on a big GAA day?

No, but I'd like to, some day.
I was at the "old" Wembley for an FA Cup Final with 100,000 fans and I imagine it is something similar.
Mind you, neither is a patch on the atmosphere engendered by 14,500 members of the Green and White Army in Windsor Park, when we've just gone one nil up against England!  ;D
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

dubnut

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 30, 2006, 12:34:50 PM
[No, but I'd like to, some day.
I was at the "old" Wembley for an FA Cup Final with 100,000 fans and I imagine it is something similar.
Mind you, neither is a patch on the atmosphere engendered by 14,500 members of the Green and White Army in Windsor Park, when we've just gone one nil up against England!  ;D

::) So you can claim Windsor Park beats big GAA games for atmosphere having never been to a GAA game  ::)
What is that based on?

aontroim abu

now you are taking the piss - no comparison whatsoever.
give this clown a bye ball - end this thread

Gnevin

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 30, 2006, 11:22:24 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on November 30, 2006, 09:49:17 AM

Anyhow, as a bit of a "newbie", are there any more "sacred texts" which are immune from anything other than the utmost reverence? I must say, I'm glad I never got round to posting the cartoon of Peter Canavan my Danish newspaper chum drew for me... ;)

;D ;D
Classic give this man a stage and a microphone
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.