Loughnane to stay on as Galway hurling boss

Started by youbetterbelieveit, August 20, 2008, 09:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: orangeman on August 22, 2008, 03:22:41 PM
Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on August 22, 2008, 03:20:13 PM
Jumpin the gun there slightly lads. Gerlock had a 3 year term with a 2nd year. He met the board, gave his season review (didnt take long.... ::)) and indicated that he is willing to continue for a third year.

The Hurling Board haven't decided to ratify him for the third year as yet. So Galway manager for next year is still up in the air......... You'd have thought if the Board wanted him to stay, there would be no delay in ratifying him. Ive a feeling theyre sniffing around to see who else would be interested and if a better candidate doesnt come along its Ger's job again for 2009.

I think Ger just found the inner psychopath in the Clare teams he managed  :D Them boys would ate nails for the cause........sure jesus look at Anthony Daly. Even now as an analyst.....is there another (ex)hurler in Ireland as excitable about hurling as him? Well maybe Davy Fitz.....wheres he from again?! Cant say the current group of Galway lads would be as mentally or physically hard as Ger is used to..........

That could be the problem - they're not Clare men !

Bingo!!! We could do with recruiting a few lads up from the Burren with crooked eyes and wild heads to put a bit of smacht on the Corks,Kilkennys & Waterfords of the world  :D

mouview

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on August 22, 2008, 03:20:13 PM
Jumpin the gun there slightly lads. Gerlock had a 3 year term with a 2nd year. He met the board, gave his season review (didnt take long.... ::)) and indicated that he is willing to continue for a third year.

The Hurling Board haven't decided to ratify him for the third year as yet. So Galway manager for next year is still up in the air......... You'd have thought if the Board wanted him to stay, there would be no delay in ratifying him. Ive a feeling theyre sniffing around to see who else would be interested and if a better candidate doesnt come along its Ger's job again for 2009.

I think Ger just found the inner psychopath in the Clare teams he managed  :D Them boys would ate nails for the cause........sure jesus look at Anthony Daly. Even now as an analyst.....is there another (ex)hurler in Ireland as excitable about hurling as him? Well maybe Davy Fitz.....wheres he from again?! Cant say the current group of Galway lads would be as mentally or physically hard as Ger is used to..........

Yet, the majority of them have proven themselves at every other level. Something just doesn't add up...  :-(

Meanwhile, what could be one of the matches of the year is on tomorrow with the U-21s meeting KK. If it's as good as last years semi' v Cork it should be a good 'un.

slow corner back

Who manages Galway u-21 is it Ger Lock or someone else?

HOTD

GerLock is not a cert to remain on as manager.  Anything but.  Rafication for a third year will come up at the next meeting and be regected by the delegates.  Galway will then go on the management merry go round.

thejuice

The problem with Galway is that they have too many nice hurlers and not enough timber men as me dad calls them. Someone who can get a belt and give em back twice as hard. You need a few of them to win an All-Ireland. Waterford have some, Cork have some, Kilkenny do to, Clare as well.

The amount of under-age silverware in Galway would fill a large room at this stage but they need someone or somehow to change these lads into men, perhaps more wild savages than men. As Maroon and White said about the inner phsycopath I dont know if Ger can get it from them, perhaps only a Galway man could.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

orangeman

Loughnane tenure under threat again
11 September 2008

Ger Loughnane's tenure as Galway hurling boss has come under further threat this week after it has emerged that four natives from the county will contest to replace him as senior manager.

Michael Bond, Joe Cooney, Michael Coleman and Steve Mahon have emerged has the men who will look to take over the reins of the Tribesmen if Loughnane fails to win his ratification.

Bond led Offaly to an All-Ireland title back in 1998, while the other three were all part of the great Galway teams back in the 1980's which collected numerous senior crowns.

After pledging to bring the Liam McCarthy Cup back west in two years following his appointment in 2006, Loughnane has came under much criticism following his side's loss to Cork that saw them exit the All-Ireland SHC for a second year, and he has yet to be ratified into his third year in term.

It is likely that the Clare man's seek for ratification will take place at next month's County Board meeting, but with the news that Bond and Co are hunting for a new reign in Galway, it may tempt some club delegates to cast out Loughnane so as the four can come in.

Silky

How many times can they move agaisnt him? Surely onced its decided that should be it.

orangeman

Quote from: Silky on September 11, 2008, 04:51:47 PM
How many times can they move agaisnt him? Surely onced its decided that should be it.

Please refer to the Brian Mc Ivor / Donegal thread for prrof this this isn't the case !

Asal Mor

Galway seem to have gone backwards ,if anything, under Loughnane. Id be surprised if the players still have faith in his methods. Had we had seen any signs of progress, id be in favour of him staying, but his time in charge has been a flop (bar  the performance v Kilkenny in '07 Quarter Final).

I'd hope to see Micheal Bond come in. Liked everything i heard about his time in Offaly. Good common - sense manager.

didlyi

Loughnane has been unfortunate in the teams he has met. They matched KK for 60 minutes last year which is much longer than anyone else in a few years now. This year they met a resurgent Cork to be beaten by a score after a bizzare team performance. . Still, I beleieve he has set Cody and Kilkenny as the benchmark all along and possibly has the ability as a manager to match cody . I hope he stays as I think that under him Galway are the one team that could trouble KK next year.
However, Ive little sympathy for his antics against Clare last year and also would question his choice of backroom team

Reillers

Quote from: didlyi on September 12, 2008, 09:53:34 PM
Loughnane has been unfortunate in the teams he has met. They matched KK for 60 minutes last year which is much longer than anyone else in a few years now. This year they met a resurgent Cork to be beaten by a score after a bizzare team performance. . Still, I beleieve he has set Cody and Kilkenny as the benchmark all along and possibly has the ability as a manager to match cody . I hope he stays as I think that under him Galway are the one team that could trouble KK next year.
However, Ive little sympathy for his antics against Clare last year and also would question his choice of backroom team

IT was two scores and I wouldn't really call it a TEAM preformance either. But they've got good potential all right. If someone would just help Joe Canning up front.

seafoid

Galway are the Lehman Bros of hurling. All that talent and no strategy.
How many underage all-irelands in the last 15 years ? How many senior ?
Mattie Murphy won 4 minor all-Irelands and there were the John Hardy ones and all those u-21 riches ...

Where does it all go wrong ?  How can Kilkenny win 6 out of 8 all-Irelands
when Galway have a ratio of maybe 1 out of 4 ?

There's no excellence mentality. No consistency. One of the saddest things about the litany of failure is the fact that so many good hurlers never get a chance to get to the level of the Cork lads of a few years ago - knowing what the rest of the line will do, just because they have played together and won together for so long. Becoming more than just the sum of 15 individuals.   

The move into Leinster would be a good thing but not enough. The heads need reprogramming too.   

One day it will all come together and then some...

Asal Mor

Moving into Leinster should get Galway more big championship games per year. At the moment we only get 1 or 2 a year.This makes it hard for players to develop the ability to play to their best in big championship matches. At least when we make the move we will have no more excuses. At minor level Galway have been the best in the country over the last 20 years. These young players are failing to progress from there. A lot of  this is down to the guys themselves and how hard they are willing to work.

orangeman

Did you see Tommy Conlon's piece in the Independent yesterday ? In it he says that it is Loughnane and NOT Cody who has brought special talent ot the game of hurling - he says that Loughnane's 2 AIs with Clare are far more significant than the 6 delivered by Cody simply because KK had 25 to start off with and due to the huge resources of talent available to Cody.

He says Loughnane therefore has been the better manager.

Agree ??