2012 county hurling championships

Started by joe bloggs, September 16, 2012, 01:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe bloggs

Semi final stage today in Offaly.

Birr face KK and Rynaghs play Shinrone.

Anyone looking for a value bet should take KK as Birr seem to be struggling to find form this year.

The draw could be worth a punt in the other.

Has anyone any tips for other games on today or in the next few weeks

AZOffaly

I think that's a good call re KK, but at the same time it's very hard to go against Birr in a semi final. Coolderry's early removal is a bit of a surprise as well. I'd like to see Rynagh's winning it out this time as it's been a while for them, and Offaly need a few Rynagh's timber merchants to go with the nice wristy hurlers that Kilkenny eat for breakfast.

GAA_Punter

http://livescores.sportsnewsireland.com/

Adare v Garryspillane, 2:00pm
Toomevara v Kildangan, 2:00pm
Birr v Kilcormac/K, 2:30
Ballymartle v Bishopstown, 2:30pm
Clonakenny v Moyne Templetuohy, 2:30pm
Ballygunner v Mount Sion, 3pm
Cushendall v Dunloy, 3:30pm
Loughmore v Roscrea, 3:30pm
Ballybacon-Grange v St Marys, 3:30pm
Na Piarsaigh v Kilmallock, 3:45pm
Clough/Ballacolla v Borris in Ossory/Kilcotton, 4pm
St Rynaghs v Shinrone, 4pm
Sarsfields v CIT, 4:45
Kilmessan v Longwood, 5pm
Silvermines v Newport, 5pm
Rathdowney/Errill v Harps, 5;30pm

AZOffaly

Silvermines v Newport is the North Tipperary Intermediate semi final. Winners to play Ballina in the North final. Ballina beat Shane McGrath's Ballinahinch last night. Conor O'Mahoney will be playing for Newport, but I'm not sure if his toe has fully recovered. The 'mines beat Newport handily in last year's North final, and again in the last game of the group stages this year (although that was the week after the AISF and Conor was out).

They'll need a huge game from O'Mahoney to have a chance, but if they get it, don't rule out the upset. It would be a big upset though.

Seamroga in exile

In Antrim, Loughgiel Shamrocks beat St. John's in the semi final 2-23 - 0-11. The other semi between Dunloy and Cushendall just about started now.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

joe bloggs

A one point win for KK over Birr, while Rynaghs had 6 points to spare over Shinrone

Seamroga in exile

Dunloy 4-11 Cushendall 2-11.

Antrim final, 29th September.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

AZOffaly

Silvermines beat Newport 2-12 to 1-10 tonight in the North Tipp Intermediate Hurling Semi Final. Go on to meet Ballina in the North Final, and both teams (the Mines and Ballina) will also be in the county 1/4 finals.

Cyril Farrell fan

Birr must be in a big decline? It wasn't so long ago they were dominating Offaly and an annual contender for the All Ireland club.

AZOffaly

Well they would still be one of the stronger clubs, but that crop is coming to an end alright, and they haven't won a championship in a a few years now, with Coolderry winning in 2011 and 2010 and Tullamore in 2009. That should be good news for Offaly you would think, but only if it's because the other teams are stepping up rather than Birr stepping back. I think it might be a bit of both to be honest, although Coolderry reaching the All Ireland was good for the overall standard, especially when they lost out in the Quarters this year.

As I said, good to see Rynaghs back in the final as well. Typically they are an important, even if not necessarily huge, element in successful Offaly teams. Rynaghs would traditionally have the steel fist in the velvet glove sort of approach.. (Padraig Horan, Damien Martin, Martin Hanamy, Hubert Rigney, Michael Duignan).

Colombia

Did I read somewhere that it's 10 years since Rynaghs contested a final? Michael Duignan made reference to their recent lack of success in his book. Who's in charge of them now?

AZOffaly

2001 since they were last in the final I think. Aidan Fogarty was managing them the last I heard. The mustachioed former corner back from the first glory years. (Corner back in the team BnM man posted for the Antrim game in 1985)

Colombia

Janey, I'll hardly recognise anyone from their teamsheet so. I remember Fogarty alright, saw him playing for Rynaghs in one of those drawn county finals against Clareen back in the 90s after he'd retired from county hurling.

AZOffaly

Diarmuid Horan, son of Padraig, is one of their main men. You'd recognise him from County games.

joe bloggs

Fogarty finished two years ago as manager and has been replaced by Dinny Cahill