Galway v Kilkenny

Started by GalwayBayBoy, June 16, 2009, 04:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Hayes can certainly score points from close in even at tight angles but his game is all about scoring goals really. He's not one to drift well out the field and knock over points from distance. In fairness when he gets the right ball he is very dangerous but defenders know that as soon as he gets the ball he is going to take them on so they are looking to stop him immediately and often illegally. He does win a lot of frees when defenders haul him down rather than let him past them. He hasn't had a really good game for Galway in a while now but he's often dealing with ball landed down on top of him from a height. Which isn't his game. You need to work him into space like Portumna have perfected doing.

Farragher is a strange one. Obviously a very good free taker but no need for that now with Joe there. I think there are doubts over his work rate to be honest.

INDIANA

You'll need farragher's size against Clare. ennis is a very tight pitch. I'd use him in the half forwards for that game.

seafoid

Re: Galway v Kilkenny
« Reply #186 on: Today at 03:00:24 PM »

Who analyses games like that ? It must be something to do with brain wiring.
I used to think there weren't enough hurling journalists and what it would be like to have more- I thought you'd have more Kevin Cashman stuff. Instead it's the opta index. So much for progress.

Kilkenny are great stickmen but I'm sick looking at them. It was the same for me with Liverpool in the 80s.
And Shamrock Rovers. I miss the romance of the Pilntons. KK are too serious. And Cody is too intense.

Bud Wiser

I went into a pub today in Kerry between Ballybunion and Listowel and there were a few locals there and the usual chat started, like, where was I from etc.  This fella was stuck in a pint and he asks, "what did you think of Galway d'other evening" and before I could say anything at all he says ------------- "Tommy Walsh should have got sent off though"     Sweet lovin lantern jes..., did Tommy frigging shoot someone last Saturday? I could understand if we were discussing the game in detail and after a while he said it but I didn't even get to sit down >:(
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on June 23, 2009, 06:39:20 PM
On another note.
I think the non performance of Damian Hayes and Andy Smith puts to bed the notion that Portumna would be as good as any county team bar Kilkenny.
Unless Hayes gets the ball in hand and can flail his way towards goal, he looks to me like he lack the hurling to take scores from distances and angles .
Galway would be better off trying the likes of Ger Farragher or Alan Kerins to tap over points.

Yes but I would have thought that anyone that knew a bit about hurling wouldn't have being saying that about Portumna anyway.  Great club, yes, but I wouldn't compare them to county teams.  As for Hayes, I agree despite having some great games for Galway he can have his off days as well, though I wouldn't blame him for Saturday, as I don't believe they were sending in the right ball to him.  I never understand it, in any sport, sending in long high balls to a small man, it doesn't give him a chance, and Hayes is no different.  Thought I dont think they should drop him from the starting line up at all, he is great at winning frees and once he gets going he is very hard to stop and the main reason is I dont think we have anyone better to start instead of him!

As for Farragher, I would have said three or four years ago that he was only good for frees and cowardly in play, but I thought he has improved well over the last couple of years.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 23, 2009, 06:50:49 PM
:o Whatever about Andy Smith but Damien Hayes is a proven inter county player, I'd be looking at trying to source a better corner forward than Healy first. Kerins is a half forward and Farragher has never cut the mustard for me, except from placed balls and they have Canning for that now...
With Hayes, his scoring rate seems to drop dramatically against the big counties.
I recall that even when Galway stuck 5-17 past the Cats a couple of years ago he didn't in on the act.
The same against Cork last year.
I reckon he's a one trick pony and his shoulder drop and charge towards goal won't fool many corner backs these days.

INDIANA

think thats unduly harsh. Hayes is a terrific player in my opinion and never gets the sort of service he needs. Often makes a lot of scores- something that goes un-noticed.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on June 24, 2009, 12:05:30 AM
With Hayes, his scoring rate seems to drop dramatically against the big counties.

I remember watching him underage and I really thought he'd develop into a different type of player. More the nippy corner forward type. Instead hes more a braun sort of player. Hard as nails, but not as nippy and elusive as it looked like he might become. I like the idea of Hayes as a midfielder. I know it was tried and didn't work that well way back when, but it should have been persisted with a little while longer seeing as midfield has not been one of the more productive areas for Galway in recent years (Healy, Murray, Tierney, even Kerins, never set the world alight there).

Whatever came of Kerril Wade or Conor Kavanagh or Alan Leech? Maybe these sort of players genuinely didn't come through to senior as they might have, but from the outside it seems impatience is a problem in Galway. One wonders if a player like Richie Hogan would be allowed the time to integrate into the senior setup were he in Galway.

I agree with what the Galway lads are saying about Farragher. Theres no place for him in a team with Joe Canning in. Hes a free-taker and never really contributed much from play. I thought he was starting to blossom one season a couple of years back then then inexplicably pulled out of the panel. Some falling out or other by all accounts.

Is Mark Kerins still hurling? Theres a lad I had good time for. Yes, he was inconsistent, but on a good day I thought he was excellent, if somewhat unorthodox.

Failing that, if anyone has Joe Cooney's number, give him a shout.

seafoid, sorry for your troubles!

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on June 24, 2009, 12:05:30 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 23, 2009, 06:50:49 PM
:o Whatever about Andy Smith but Damien Hayes is a proven inter county player, I'd be looking at trying to source a better corner forward than Healy first. Kerins is a half forward and Farragher has never cut the mustard for me, except from placed balls and they have Canning for that now...
I recall that even when Galway stuck 5-17 past the Cats a couple of years ago he didn't in on the act.
The same against Cork last year.
I reckon he's a one trick pony and his shoulder drop and charge towards goal won't fool many corner backs these days.

Remember Healy being to the fore in that game but wasn't it the Quarter Final that year against Tipp where Hayes was throwing lads out of his way & sticking a couple of goals? Like I said Galway have bigger problems than replacing Hayes.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

seafoid

Whatever came of Kerril Wade or Conor Kavanagh or Alan Leech?

Apparently there were only 6 of the 2007 team that played Kilkenny starting last Saturday. I don't know when was the last time a Galway hurling fan could reel off the names of the half back line without thinking. There hasn't been any patience to stick with teams over any length of time.   The team that got to the AIF in 2005 was dismantled shortly afterwards. Managers came through a revolving door. You can't win all-Irelands with that sort of set-up.   

monny14

Quote from: Bud Wiser on June 23, 2009, 10:38:11 PM
I went into a pub today in Kerry between Ballybunion and Listowel and there were a few locals there and the usual chat started, like, where was I from etc.  This fella was stuck in a pint and he asks, "what did you think of Galway d'other evening" and before I could say anything at all he says ------------- "Tommy Walsh should have got sent off though"     Sweet lovin lantern jes..., did Tommy frigging shoot someone last Saturday? I could understand if we were discussing the game in detail and after a while he said it but I didn't even get to sit down >:(

Tommy walsh is dirtiest player in ireland man.face the facts

Red Hurley

Is Irla Tannion still hurling with Galway ?

orangeman

With all the focus rightly or wrongly on Tommy Walsh all this week, what are the chances of Tommy getting sent off this summer ???

Watch this space.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Red Hurley on June 25, 2009, 04:22:55 PM
Is Irla Tannion still hurling with Galway ?

Did his cruciate just before the championship.

Bud Wiser

QuoteTommy walsh is dirtiest player in ireland man.face the facts

Not alone is he NOT the dirtiest player in Ireland, he is the best wing back, or a defender in any position on any full back line or half back line in Ireland. I was sitting in the Hogan Stand when DJ's prodigy, Hogan, took the field against Tipp and judging by the venom, and that is what it is, venom, that is directed at Tommy you would have to assume that if we could now find the guy who first gave Richie Hogan his first welcome to Croke Park that he must be serving out the last year of his four year sentence now.   Get over it, Tommy made two tackles, two good ones and if Corcoran and the Dublin back line make as good as they have made all year , maybe, just maybe, and I would love to see the day, they will win All Stars as well.

There may come a time when Richie Hogan gets his chance too, and my opinion is that he would have got it when DJ retired but Cody was awake to the allegations that could follow because he was related to DJ.  Hold a candle under a quilt for a while and eventually it will go alight, hold it long enough and the bed and whole room along with it but: there is now a great chance that Dubs can make a name in Leinster, by even beating Kilkenny, but, if there is a pre-emptive strike by trying to get T.W. sent off before the ball is thrown in then that is sad, sad, sad.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"