Laois minor hurlers 2015

Started by Tobias, March 09, 2015, 03:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobias

Any word on how this years minors are getting on? I see the first match in the Leinster championship is in four weeks against Wexford in Wexford park. It's always a very hard place to go but this laois them has real potential, hopefully they can fulfil it.
They have quiet a number of lads off last years panel, to my mind d hartnett, c phelan, l o Connell, l Cleere, m Kavanagh, a Dunphy, a Mortimer, r phelan are still there off the starting team. Anyone else?

TheGreatGame

Sean Downey and Dinny Cahill both still minor I think as well.  We gave the A-I champs a run for their money last year and we have the big majority of that team underage again so you'd be hopeful we can give it a decent lash.

redsetanta

How many of the county minors are on the Mountrath CS team?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

TheGreatGame

Aaron Dunphy and Conor Phelan would be guaranteed starters if fit.  After that I'd say Mountrath CS would have a good few more on the panel with the likes of Stephen Dunphy and Dylan Conroy pushing hard for a starting jersey too.  That was impressive scoring in their semi-final, but they might have been better off with a closer game.  Best of luck to them in the final!

redsetanta

Minors away to Wexford on Saturday at 3pm.

Anyone any idea how they are shaping up? It will be good for a Mountrath CS lads to have this game after their defeat last Saturday.

Anybody have a stab at the starting 15?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

TheGreatGame

Have heard very little about them so far, which may be no bad thing as too much can be read into challenge match results.  We certainly should be competitive with the players we have available, but being away to Wexford is a seriously tough opener.

Buffalobull

Haven't heard much about them this year, but having a good few off last years panel and good strong 16's from last year they should give it a right go this year!

I'd imagine a team something like this,
1. Stephen Kelly
3. Dinny Cahill
5. Conor Phelan
6. Liam O'Connell
7. Lee Cleere
8. Sean Downey
9. Stephen Dunphy
10. Robbie Phelan
13. Mark Kavanagh
14. Aaron Dunphy
15. Andrew Mortimer

I see it's the same half back line and same full forward line from last year so the experience in these areas could prove well for Laois. All these players were on the panel last year (I think), so I would fancy them to start again. Don't know who would fill in the missing positions there though, any ideas?

redsetanta

Didn't know Mark Kavanagh was still minor. He is some asset to have this year and as you said lots of experience. Did Cheddar not bring him into the senior set up?

We know that Kilkenny will be there abouts as they are every year but what will Wexford be like does anyone know? I don't think Offaly will be up to much.

With a bit of luck could this be the year that we could go all the way in Leinster?

Buffalobull

He's definitely still minor anyway. Not sure about the senior call up though, first I heard of it.

Hopefully it is the year, I'm very optimistic!

redsetanta

I'm sure that I read somewhere that he was in training with the senior squad.

Thewildcat

wexford won the leinster league last weekend beat offaly well, don't know how good wexford are but they are never simple in wexford park in any grade.

redsetanta

Laois Minor Hurling manager Pat Critchley has announced his starting 15 for Saturday's Electric Ireland Leinster MHC clash with Wexford

1. Stephen Kelly (Rosenallis)
2. Joe Geaney (Portlaoise)
3. Conor Phelan (Castletown)
4. Darragh Connolly (Na Fianna)
5. Liam O'Connell (Rathdowney Errill)
6. Denis Cahill (Park Ratheniska)
7. Lee Cleere (Clough Ballacolla)
8. Seán Downey (Ballinakill)
9. Stephen Dunphy (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)
10. Stephen Phelan (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)
11. Martin Phelan (Castletown)
12. Robbie Phelan (Clough Ballacolla)
13. Dylan Conroy (Castletown)
14. Mark Kavanagh (Rathdowney-Errill)
15. Aaron Dunphy (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)

Plenty of experience in that team from last year which should stand to them. I would count 7 starters from the opening game against Offaly last year.  Lets hope there's a good start to the year.

TheGreatGame

The very best of luck to our lads.  Bit surprised to see Andrew Mortimer not starting, perhaps he's injured?  That half back line should be able to give us a great platform to build from and the full forward line looks dangerous.

merman

The first thing that jumps out at me is that we have real and genuine ball-winners in that middle 8.
Cahill and O' Connell are big strong minors and Cleere, though not as tall, togs out big and is very able in the air.
I'd have question marks over Cahill at centre-back but only because I've not seen much of him; he certainly has the physicality to nail the position and his lieutenants either side are of the very highest quality.

Downey and Dunphy look a good midfield partnership, mobile and both have an eye for a score. Downey is a big player for us I feel; not as heralded as others but gets through a lot of work and is a selfless foil for a serious forward-line.

The Phelan-line looks formidable and could prove very hard to handle.
Martin can sometimes look awkward but that unorthodox style makes him hard to stop, he can be very direct and takes punishment/hardship that is vital in that central role. Stephen has a great hand and brings good physicality and whilst Robbie will be a marked-man after last year;  it'll take a fair minor to hold him for 60 mins.

Conor Phelan is an excellent defender and looks a good pick at full-back; Geaney and Connolly are both very quick and tigerish full-backs.

I'm excited to see Conroy, Kavanagh and especially Aaron Dunphy having a real go at the Wexford full-back line. They have a lovely blend of pace, guile and power and I see goals in this team that I don't see in our seniors at present.

Best of luck to the team on Saturday.
Wexford Park has been a graveyard for a lot of good Laois teams over the last few years and this will be a massive challenge.
I do have a very good feeling about this bunch though....

redsetanta

Cheers Merman, it's good to get that extra bit of info about the players and who to keep an eye out for. Interesting contest ahead.

Was also looking to put a few bob on Laois for Leinster but can't find any odds although only looked on PP. Anyone know where i would get odds for the minors?