Who will win the 2024 Ulster title

Donegal
27 (56.3%)
Armagh
21 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: April 27, 2024, 08:54:31 PM

tonto1888

Quote from: lurganblue on April 14, 2024, 08:42:50 PMI didn't think it was a red but it was very close to being one. He can count himself lucky

I agree. He didnt connect with the head and the lad didnt make a meal of it. Both went in his favour I think. That said, if he was shown a red card Id have had no complaints

David McKeown

Having seen the replay I think he was lucky to have escaped a red, that said the referee does seem to have been very close to it and with a good view and none of the other players seem to be demanding a red card like you would often see
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Fuzzman

Don't suppose anyone has two spare tickets for Derry v Donegal?
The missus from Lifford dying to go.
Will be in Cavan on Sunday.

Email me on Toffeeman1@gmail.com
😉

Applesisapples

When you see how the Dubs use dominance as they did against Meath chipping over points, you'd be right to worry for Armagh. For all the good forward they possess they do not score enough even against light weights.

yellowcard

Watched it on the replay and it didn't even register on the Sunday Game highlights which tells you all you need to know. A yellow card was the correct decision, no force in the challenge.

trueblue1234

Was a red for me on first and second viewing. At best reckless, as intent is unknown. But you'll see some given as red and some yellow depending on the ref.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

balladmaker

Looking like Armagh v Down on Sat 27th April, 17:15, in Clones.

Armagh18

Quote from: balladmaker on April 15, 2024, 11:01:12 AMLooking like Armagh v Down on Sat 27th April, 17:15, in Clones.
Would be a good time to be a buckfast salesman ;)

tbrick18

Quote from: yellowcard on April 14, 2024, 07:15:17 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on April 14, 2024, 07:06:17 PMAwful game.
Fermanagh had their chances of goals but either miskicked, took the wrong option or just messed it up.
Armagh deserved winners - but goals aside, they didn't look overly impressive.
Missed a lot of frees. Didnt look fluid, should have scored more points from play given the way Fermanagh just kind of stopped. If I was from Armagh I'd be worried enough.

Jarly Og lucky to stay on the pitch imo.

Jarly Og is one of the least aggressive players on the Armagh squad so I'd be very surprised if there was any intent there. A yellow card was fair in that instance.

I'd agree - not a dirty player. But so far as I know a dangerous tackle is a red card offence, accidental or otherwise. He looked to catch the man head height with no effort to get the ball and his elbow looked high. That was dangerous. For me it was a red all day.

tbrick18

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on April 14, 2024, 07:19:27 PM
Fermanagh had their chances of goals but either miskicked, took the wrong option or just messed it up.
Missed a lot of frees. Didnt look fluid, should have scored more points from play given the way Fermanagh just kind of stopped. If I was from Armagh I'd be worried enough.

Goals aside...not impressive (they won by over 10 points)

If you were from Armagh what would you be worried about? Down...seriously? Do you think their "supporters " will stay on beyond half time.. unlike last year.

Derry...of course we'd be worried..they're a top 3 team standing between us and a first Ulster title in nearly 20 years...and they've improved since last year.

Was Jarly's the only bad tackle in the game?

The 2nd half was a draw. Yes the game was already won, but the better sides would just keep going and rack up a cricket score.
For what it's worth, Armagh should beat Down and I've no doubt they'll give who ever they play in Ulster Final a game of it. But for me, they're not yet playing at the level you'd expect of a team with ambitions to win Ulster. It still might come...but against a Fermanagh side that were beaten 20 mins in you'd have expected them to pull away in the 2nd half. That's the worrying bit for Armagh in my view.

armaghniac

Quote from: tbrick18 on April 15, 2024, 11:28:29 AMThe 2nd half was a draw. Yes the game was already won, but the better sides would just keep going and rack up a cricket score.
For what it's worth, Armagh should beat Down and I've no doubt they'll give who ever they play in Ulster Final a game of it. But for me, they're not yet playing at the level you'd expect of a team with ambitions to win Ulster. It still might come...but against a Fermanagh side that were beaten 20 mins in you'd have expected them to pull away in the 2nd half. That's the worrying bit for Armagh in my view.

A bit worrying is not a bad place to be, more work is needed and complacency is entirely inappropriate.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

APM

Quote from: tbrick18 on April 15, 2024, 11:28:29 AM

If you were from Armagh what would you be worried about? Down...seriously? Do you think their "supporters " will stay on beyond half time.. unlike last year.

Derry...of course we'd be worried..they're a top 3 team standing between us and a first Ulster title in nearly 20 years...and they've improved since last year.

The 2nd half was a draw. Yes the game was already won, but the better sides would just keep going and rack up a cricket score.

I agree with this. Armagh struggled to score points yesterday. It is often useful look at the number of scores for a slightly different analysis and a total of 14 scores isn't a great return against a very limited Fermanagh team. Armagh also got the bounce off the ball yesterday with both Jarly Og's goal and McKay's save. About time we got the rub of the green but no use in saying luck didn't play a part.

Down will be lying in the long grass waiting and ready to ambush Armagh. They are the complete underdog going into this game. They beat Antrim playing rubbish and I'd say they're nicely poised. Unlike Fermanagh, they are on the way up and need this win to get into Sam.

Armagh should win even with a middling performance, but Lavery will not let Down play with the same tactical naïveté as Fermanagh. Down will be stronger in the tackle and if they get the bounce of the ball they can spring a surprise.

I was surprised to hear Ryan McCloskey and others talking up the potential of a shock Fermanagh win this weekend. Thought that was highly unlikely. However, I can't understand why anyone is writing off Down!

bennydorano

The way Armagh finished off against Fermanagh is our standard response, try to win pulling up, keep our next opponents guessing. I've mentioned it a few times before but  IMO Armagh always have to win not showing our full hand, we always like to think there's more in the tank for the next day, we always do it until we're found out and then there are no more next days.  I, along the rest of the county, would like to see us play to the full of our potential at all times, no need for shadow boxing/ mind games bollox that nobody cares about outside of the Armagh backroom team.  I think our approach is a major flaw in our mentality tbh, but it seems really ingrained at this stage and will only change with a new manager.

But it was only Fermanagh, so .....

Mario

Quote from: APM on April 15, 2024, 02:08:24 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on April 15, 2024, 11:28:29 AM

I agree with this. Armagh struggled to score points yesterday. It is often useful look at the number of scores for a slightly different analysis and a total of 14 scores isn't a great return against a very limited Fermanagh team. Armagh also got the bounce off the ball yesterday with both Jarly Og's goal and McKay's save. About time we got the rub of the green but no use in saying luck didn't play a part.

Down will be lying in the long grass waiting and ready to ambush Armagh. They are the complete underdog going into this game. They beat Antrim playing rubbish and I'd say they're nicely poised. Unlike Fermanagh, they are on the way up and need this win to get into Sam.

Armagh should win even with a middling performance, but Lavery will not let Down play with the same tactical naïveté as Fermanagh. Down will be stronger in the tackle and if they get the bounce of the ball they can spring a surprise.

I was surprised to hear Ryan McCloskey and others talking up the potential of a shock Fermanagh win this weekend. Thought that was highly unlikely. However, I can't understand why anyone is writing off Down!
People are writing off Down because they were brutal in the league final and not much better v a very depleted Antrim. I can't see them getting within 5 points of Armagh.

tiempo

Quote from: Mario on April 15, 2024, 04:22:42 PMPeople are writing off Down because they were brutal in the league final and not much better v a very depleted Antrim. I can't see them getting within 5 points of Armagh. Down are shite