Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: groundlie on July 07, 2021, 10:48:57 AM
Should there be a root and branch review of hurling in antrim? I don't think Laois have ever beat us by 30+ points? The smoke screen of Gleesons seniors can't hide just how much we are struggling under age. Beaten by Kildare at minor last year and Laois yesterday. Not good.

Up to this year Laois were beating us at Senior !! Lets see how well this Laois team do next game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

The Laois game this weekend is far from a given too! That will be a tough game. League form counts for nothing now.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 07, 2021, 11:29:28 AM
The Laois game this weekend is far from a given too! That will be a tough game. League form counts for nothing now.

I'd say Laois were always looking at us come championship, if our lads have got over the Dublin game then we have a great opportunity to beat them and get another crack at another top team, allow Laois a foothold in the game then we could struggle for teh whole game!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

north_antrim_hound

Should there be a root and branch review of hurling in antrim? I don't think Laois have ever beat us by 30+ points? The smoke screen of Gleesons seniors can't hide just how much we are struggling under age. Beaten by Kildare at minor last year and Laois yesterday. Not good.

Absolutely spot on, if we don't put more emphasis on our underage teams then it's hard to get new players to replenish our senior team. The last team that got the proper attention was the minor team Shorty, Mc Manus Hippie and co played on and they did good. We need some sort of plan and resources to improve it.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

imtommygunn

I found it interesting listening to an interview with McNaughton after one of the league games where he said they knew they were good hurlers but never had buy in before either at underage or senior. Probably not interesting in a good way mind you but didn't sound like full buy in to underage teams from what he was saying.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Kildare are really coming on, massive men too at all ages, Slaughtneilesque in terms of height

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 07, 2021, 12:46:22 PM

Kildare are really coming on, massive men too at all ages, Slaughtneilesque in terms of height

They've always been big lads, that physical side of their game was always difficult to break down initially then our skill levels took over and we generally beat them, Carlow went that way also.

We've never been a big team in the modern times, you've got to go back to the 80's when we really had a big physical team

saffman

Could make an argument out next minor team of the standard to the McManus, shorty, hippie team. Ironically the minor team which lost the ulster final 6/7 years ago? Thoughts?
Think 10 if that team are on the current panel

clootfromthe21

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 07, 2021, 11:55:50 AM

Absolutely spot on, if we don't put more emphasis on our underage teams then it's hard to get new players to replenish our senior team. The last team that got the proper attention was the minor team Shorty, Mc Manus Hippie and co played on and they did good. We need some sort of plan and resources to improve it.

Saw it suggested somewhere on twitter that the minor hurlers have conceded tonight's game against Meath.

If that is correct, it will have been a pretty grim 24 hours for Antrim hurling.

:-[

Milltown Row2

Quote from: groundlie on July 07, 2021, 05:57:51 PM
I haven't heard that regarding the minor? I hope not. If we have then that is probably worse than the hammering we took last night. Can anyone confirm?

Has there been drop outs due to Covid?

Tormund

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on July 07, 2021, 05:38:44 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 07, 2021, 11:55:50 AM

Saw it suggested somewhere on twitter that the minor hurlers have conceded tonight's game against Meath.

If that is correct, it will have been a pretty grim 24 hours for Antrim hurling.

:-[
Yea the minors are meant to be playing meath tonight, cant see anywhere online about the game being on.
Yea if that's true its been a pretty tough 24hrs for Antrim hurling

johnnycool

Down minors beat W-Meath in the U17's last night in Daver and move onto the semi-final in that competition.

Sad if Antrim minors have had to drop out, but surely there'd need to have been quite a few Covid cases for that to have happened..

imtommygunn

Did we not play down last week in this age group?

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 08, 2021, 11:34:40 AM
Did we not play down last week in this age group?

Yes, the winners (Antrim) were to go into the Leinster minor championship proper last night and the losers (Down) went into the Peadar O Liathain Cup which they won the first round of last night..

Tormund

I cant see anything online about the minor game against meath that was due to be played last night. Why it didnt happen, if it was conceded etc. Its strange. You would think that Antrims gaa twitter or facebook page should give an update.
I wouldve fancied us to beat meath in minor hurling aswell