Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

I fookin hate the Indo and everyone and everything associated with it. I equate GAA people buying the Indo with Liverpool fans buying the Sun.

So my starting point here is doubly biased!

Somebody got a tip and decided to hide and use a long range photo lens to take pics of some Dublin players taking part in non-contact outdoor training. And the Indo thinks that's front page news.

Yes, they did wrong and against the rules. Everyone knows what they're doing is low risk, but still against the rules. It's a problem because they were caught and they (all GAA counties really) are held to a high standard. The punishment is already out there with precedent. The leading coach in attendance gets a 8 to 12 week ban and the players get off scot free. The GAA decided that was sufficient punishment/deterrant in the Cork and Down cases, when they could have gone harder (or lighter). Apparently there was a coach there, but not Dessie. So that coach gets the ban.

I think a home game ban is also part of the precedent punishment. So that should certainly be imposed too here.

Tubberman

Quote from: Hound on April 01, 2021, 01:40:05 PM
I fookin hate the Indo and everyone and everything associated with it. I equate GAA people buying the Indo with Liverpool fans buying the Sun.

Somebody got a tip and decided to hide and use a long range photo lens to take pics of some Dublin players taking part in non-contact outdoor training. And the Indo thinks that's front page news.

Yes, they did wrong and against the rules. Everyone knows what they're doing is low risk, but still against the rules. It's a problem because they were caught and they (all GAA counties really) are held to a high standard. The punishment is already out there with precedent. The leading coach in attendance gets a 8 to 12 week ban and the players get off scot free. The GAA decided that was sufficient punishment/deterrant in the Cork and Down cases, when they could have gone harder (or lighter). Apparently there was a coach there, but not Dessie. So that coach gets the ban.

I think a home game ban is also part of the precedent punishment. So that should certainly be imposed too here.

That won't wash. Cork and Down managers received suspensions and so should Dessie Farrell. There's no way this was arranged without his authority. In fact, given that John Costello's son was one of the player's, it should call into account his role at the helm of the county board.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

JoG2

Finally Dublin has a disadvantage ie much tougher to break  guidelines re collective training under the glare of a big city.

TheGreatest

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 01, 2021, 12:06:53 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on April 01, 2021, 11:37:33 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 01, 2021, 11:23:19 AM
Other counties is whataboutery. Dublin got caught. End of.

Unfortunately this feeds into the saga of last year where for right or wrong the GAA was perceived as not taking Covid seriously. We aren't even back yet and rules are broken. Fine and bans is fair and just.

Not saying the lads were right or wrong.

Indo rag Honey trap with a long lens. They knew what they were doing, wont see them in other counties hiding in the bushes.

Other counties aren't across the road to Indo Towers and don't sell newspapers.

And you don't know what honey trap is.

Oh yes i do, just asked my Russian friend there whos "working " in the states.

You made my point, it was a set up, probably going on for weeks, probably held for weeks by the Indo.

My frontpage headlines would be today: Garda investigation into stolen Beacon Vaccines. 4 Former health ministers to be quizzed on secret illegal HSE dossiers on Sick children. Opposition silenced in Dail row over microphones, etc. GAAboard jump on yet another Dubs pile due to begrudgery and insignificance. 

I have seen 100s of Covid rule breaking, i see full blown 5 a sides, cricket matches in parks, Groups of cyclists etc. i see playgrounds packed with children and parents standing around talking. Go around the parks in Dublin. Canals packed with people, Guards just walking past. Its like the Funeral row in the north, he went to that funeral over there, but that guy over there went to that other funeral down the road....

Yes, Dublin Footballers were wrong legally, i think the morals have gone now. Especially when League or Ireland is back and ladies league of ireland is back, bit of a joke.

A distraction from this disastrous governments handling a covid and a lot of other things. Dubs should boycott the indo from now on. Its a petty article, like the Guard haircut articles in the Examiner the other day.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Tubberman on April 01, 2021, 01:58:14 PM

That won't wash. Cork and Down managers received suspensions and so should Dessie Farrell. There's no way this was arranged without his authority. In fact, given that John Costello's son was one of the player's, it should call into account his role at the helm of the county board.

Croke Park made a specific point in one of their COVID regulations releases that county chairpersons could be held personally responsible. Neither the Down or Cork chairperson admitted knowledge of what was going on from what I recall so the powers that be couldn't do anything to them. However what Dublin GAA admit will be key.

The fact that this took place on GAA property might throw up extra issues. Neither the Cork or Down incidents occurred on GAA property.
Who was responsible at Innisfails for opening the pitch?
Who told them to do it from the Dublin side of things?
Whoever did it can hardly claim that they got a physic vision that 9 members of the Dublin squad and a coach would be randomly turning up at half six in the morning.
I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't issues in relations to Innisfails insurance policy.
I wonder if there is a chance this might void Innisfails insurance cover - this seems very much seems like something that would void an insurance policy.
Or might Innisfails have to report the individuals in question for tresspassing to avoid this? Some folk at Innisfails could well be looking at very severe punishments i.e lifetime ban.

TheGreatest

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 01, 2021, 02:17:52 PM

Croke Park made a specific point in one of their COVID regulations releases that county chairpersons could be held personally responsible. Neither the Down or Cork chairperson admitted knowledge of what was going on from what I recall so the powers that be couldn't do anything to them. However what Dublin GAA admit will be key.

The fact that this took place on GAA property might throw up extra issues. Neither the Cork or Down incidents occurred on GAA property.
Whoever did it can hardly claim that they got a physic vision that 9 members of the Dublin squad and a coach would be randomly turning up at half six in the morning.
I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't issues in relations to Innisfails insurance policy.
I wonder if there is a chance this might void Innisfails insurance cover - this seems very much seems like something that would void an insurance policy.
Or might Innisfails have to report the individuals in question for tresspassing to avoid this? Some folk at Innisfails could well be looking at very severe punishments i.e lifetime ban.

Calm down.

trailer

Quote from: TheGreatest on April 01, 2021, 02:25:08 PM

Calm down.

Jesus Christ. Talk about getting carried away.. lol lifetime bans lol...
Dessie should get jail time. And Fenton should probably do a stretch as well... f**k it, put them all in jail and throw away the key.

TheGreatest

I would also like to point out, the point i have made here numerous times is proved to be true, Dubs train in Innisfails, a slanty pitch with below standard changing rooms and facilities etc, Not the Taj Mahal centre of excellences which other counties have use of, which is of extreme detriment to Dublin compared to the advantages that other counties have over them. 

twohands!!!

Quote from: trailer on April 01, 2021, 02:33:31 PM

Calm down.

Dessie should get jail time. And Fenton should probably do a stretch as well... f**k it, put them all in jail and throw away the key.

I clearly stated that the lifetime bans was in relation to the people at Innisfails - I meant the people at the Innisfails club who knew about this/facilitated it, not the Dublin players involved - there are some very heavy sanctions on the GAA books in relation to allowing non-authorised people use pitches [up to lifetime bans] which I'm pretty sure is due to the GAA's insurance company.

It might well be the case of Innisfails having to opt between imposing a lifetime or year(s) ban on some individuals at the club who facilitated this or not being covered by insurance [which would effectively mean the death knell for the club]

Hound

The very worst case scenario re insurance would be if one of the 9 got injured they wouldn't be covered. Absolutely no impact on Innisfails insurance cover generally.

Ignoring Covid for a sec (and I'm sure someone from Innisfails knew about it), but do you need formal permission to train on a GAA pitch? In the past I often organised early morning or late summer evening sessions when I knew there'd be plenty of room at my local GAA club,  with a 5 or 6 kids (son, nephew, friends) and a bag of balls - usually just fun stuff like scoring practice. Never once sought permission.

TheGreatest

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 01, 2021, 02:55:46 PM
Quote from: trailer on April 01, 2021, 02:33:31 PM

Calm down.

I clearly stated that the lifetime bans was in relation to the people at Innisfails - I meant the people at the Innisfails club who knew about this/facilitated it, not the Dublin players involved - there are some very heavy sanctions on the GAA books in relation to allowing non-authorised people use pitches [up to lifetime bans] which I'm pretty sure is due to the GAA's insurance company.

It might well be the case of Innisfails having to opt between imposing a lifetime or year(s) ban on some individuals at the club who facilitated this or not being covered by insurance [which would effectively mean the death knell for the club]

Lets ban some Clubman volunteering doing facilities in his local GAA club for 50 Years. Calm down again.

Personally hope they all get away with it.  . .. . . .  Will enjoy reading the comments here. 

Rossfan

Someone saying they should lose home advantage  ;D
They'll have to use Croke Park so ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

twohands!!!

Quote from: Hound on April 01, 2021, 03:02:07 PM
The very worst case scenario re insurance would be if one of the 9 got injured they wouldn't be covered. Absolutely no impact on Innisfails insurance cover generally.

Ignoring Covid for a sec (and I'm sure someone from Innisfails knew about it), but do you need formal permission to train on a GAA pitch? In the past I often organised early morning or late summer evening sessions when I knew there'd be plenty of room at my local GAA club,  with a 5 or 6 kids (son, nephew, friends) and a bag of balls - usually just fun stuff like scoring practice. Never once sought permission.

I don't agree about the impact in Innisfails insurance.
You 100% need formal permission to train on a GAA pitch.
If anything happened at any of the sessions you organised you would be personally liable.
I remember hearing that the GAA basically is forced to punish individuals who are caught in order to keep their insurance.
The vast vast majority of the time a blind eye is turned to this but given the publicity and the nature of insurance companies I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Innisfails in bother over this.

oneclubonelife

Folks - some teams at club and county level have been trading as groups and full sessions for 3 months. The training has taken place all over Ireland at GAA facilities so don't all of a sudden act shocked that this has happened. Some teams have been having full sessions during the day because a lage number of their panelists are students or furloughed / working from home and it meant that they did not have to switch on floodlights that would attract attention. My only issue will be the hypocrisy that will be shown to a club/club player later in the upcoming season  when a "rule" will be broken when they have allowed the flagrant flouting of the "Covid no training rule".

macker15

Quote from: Rossfan on April 01, 2021, 03:21:45 PM
Someone saying they should lose home advantage  ;D
They'll have to use Croke Park so ::)

I see the Roscommon CB sending out notice for people to stop using Hyde Park as wrecking the pitch. Donie  and Cox must be flat out practising frees.  🙄🙄