Paris....advice

Started by The Gs Man, January 18, 2010, 09:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

No loss of life but this is a tragedy for humanity. Terrible.

Hopefully those windows survived.

Dire Ear

Good way to reunite the country, a cynic would say

tonto1888

Quote from: moysider on April 16, 2019, 12:52:32 AM

How is an old building burning down a tragedy for humanity?

Insane Bolt

What's happening in Yemen is a tragedy for humanity......what's even more tragic for humanity is people care more about a building/windows.....than human suffering.

Rossfan

And that cnut Gemma O'Doherty claiming it's an "attack on European civilisation " and "we" need to fight back.

It's  a pity such a fine old building is damaged but " tragedy"......
NO.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Insane Bolt

Over €300 million pledged already for restoration......incredible......tycoons trying to outdo each other.....

'Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.'

Indeed.

trailer

Quote from: Rossfan on April 16, 2019, 09:23:03 AM
And that cnut Gemma O'Doherty claiming it's an "attack on European civilisation " and "we" need to fight back.

It's  a pity such a fine old building is damaged but " tragedy"......
NO.

She's a f**king tragedy.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Insane Bolt on April 16, 2019, 09:16:40 AM

What's happening in Yemen is a tragedy for humanity......what's even more tragic for humanity is people care more about a building/windows.....than human suffering.

That's exactly what crossed my mind when the media went into overdrive on this. The billionaire that owns Gucci is gonna pay for restoration but how much would he pledge to Syrian refugees. Bunch of jumped up attention seeking pretentious idiots the lot of them.
How many of these people have a passion for gothic architecture
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

seafoid

Most of the historic buildings in Ireland were trashed by the English over time.
Visiting countries that weren't occupied by England for centuries you notice what a lovely heritage they still have.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on April 16, 2019, 10:08:48 AM
I know now that the Internet's corrupted me badly when I first saw pictures of the fire and the first words that came into my head was "You let Dougal do a funeral?!"

I know....we were watching the coverage last night.. she turns to me and says 'Paris mourns the burning of the Notre Dam, Belfast mourns the burning of Primark!'....thought it was quite funny myself....

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on April 16, 2019, 10:34:42 AM
Most of the historic buildings in Ireland were trashed by the English over time.
Visiting countries that weren't occupied by England for centuries you notice what a lovely heritage they still have.

In fairness, some of them were thrashed by the Germans.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on April 16, 2019, 11:35:52 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 16, 2019, 10:34:42 AM

In fairness, some of them were thrashed by the Germans.

They were but let's just say that Bord Failte has an Ancient East marketing campaign because there isn't much left of the
Medieval stuff that is presentable.
And the Germans only operated over a few years rather than centuries
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

playwiththewind1st

Last real tragedy in Paris was the Duke of Edinburgh tampering with yer woman's brake pipes & forcing us to listen to over 20 years' worth of "England's Rose" type nonsense.

tonto1888

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on April 16, 2019, 10:08:48 AM
I know now that the Internet's corrupted me badly when I first saw pictures of the fire and the first words that came into my head was "You let Dougal do a funeral?!"

As for the tragic/not tragic angle, it is at least a positive that no person seems to have been harmed, but such the destruction of a building that holds centuries of historical cultural heritage is if not a tragedy at least a significant loss for a civilisation. No less worse than other such places or constructions of long standing cultural artefacts that are destroyed either accidentally or deliberately. The fact that a great deal of suffering is occurring to a large group of people by other people, particularly when this suffering is happening in isolation from such an incident of cultural destruction, doesn't change that. Neither do you have to choose one over the other.

You don't have to choose one over the other but an old building burning is not a human tragedy

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 16, 2019, 10:00:10 AM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on April 16, 2019, 09:16:40 AM

That's exactly what crossed my mind when the media went into overdrive on this. The billionaire that owns Gucci is gonna pay for restoration but how much would he pledge to Syrian refugees. Bunch of jumped up attention seeking pretentious idiots the lot of them.
How many of these people have a passion for gothic architecture

Its their money they can spend it on what they like and a 100 million on an iconic landmark is far more honourable than spunking hundreds of millions on spoilt brats to kick a football around as for the rest of the rant why are you spending money on broadband and not pledge it to refugees or some other cause