Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

The catholic church has every right to take their time over this decision. The fact that development plans are in the pipeline for the Clinton centre tells us that some sort of memorial is in the pipeline.

Orior

Yesterday's memorial said that the victims were murdered.

Anyone else wonder if murder is the correct term?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

haranguerer

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 09, 2017, 11:16:16 AM
Own goal for the catholic church in enniskillen.

A memorial to the 12 people killed was to be housed on land beside the town's Clinton Centre.

However, a Catholic church trust, which owns the land, said it had not yet made a decision on the matter. The memorial has been put into storage.

Completely right to take their time, not be brow beaten into it by an 'outraged' public.

If there wasn't a poppy on the memorial I'd have no issue, with the poppy on it I do.

Keyser soze

The organizer of this memorial went off and got a nice memorial made and then sought and received planning permission to erect it.

Unfortunately they neglected the small detail of asking the landowner if it would be all right to put this up on their land. Now its somebody else's fault. The very public stink they have created here after being so presumptuous is leaving a very bad taste indeed.

tiempo

Quote from: Keyser soze on November 09, 2017, 04:01:52 PM
The organizer of this memorial went off and got a nice memorial made and then sought and received planning permission to erect it.

Unfortunately they neglected the small detail of asking the landowner if it would be all right to put this up on their land. Now its somebody else's fault. The very public stink they have created here after being so presumptuous is leaving a very bad taste indeed.

There is every chance they have engineered this situation exactly as it has panned out as they would rather this than having to ask in the first place.

Sweeper 123

A joke that a monument of this type has a poppy - not all killed were soldiers; And how can u erect anything on someone else's land without their permission

red hander

Quote from: Sweeper 123 on November 09, 2017, 05:51:52 PM
A joke that a monument of this type has a poppy - not all killed were soldiers; And how can u erect anything on someone else's land without their permission

The same way they took over someone else's land without their permission...

Hereiam

U can apply for planning permission on someone else's land without their permission, as part of the application you have to notify the land owner that you have done so. I assume this is how they subbmitted the application for this.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: T Fearon on November 09, 2017, 09:57:40 AM
They had fairly large banners draped on the wall,with names emblazoned on each,behind the statue of Best,Law and Charlton.I assume these were the names of Utd players killed in action during World Wars

Just checked the Utd website. 18 died in the 2 world wars and Boer war. Must be those.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Hereiam

So here is how it went down
Ely Centre apply for planning permission to site the memorial at the gable wall of the Clinton centre i would assume without talking to the catholic church before they submitted the application to see if they would be in favour of it. The church would only have been officially notified as part of the application once it was validated. No drawings would been sent out to the church and it would have be up to them view the application online on in the council offices
TransportNI (Roads service) object to the siting of the memorial so it is moved around the corner of the Clinton center as shown on amended drawings submitted to the planners on the 2nd of June 2017 (the church would have had no notification of this happening from the planners which is normal practice)
Planning permission is granted 25 July 2017
I would assume the catholic church were made aware of the new location via a solicitors letter representing the Ely Centre looking rights to erect this memorial on land that they control.

I notice that there are 2 emails lodged on the planning portal which cannot be viewed for some reason and a letter of objection which has had parts of it blacked out with a marker for some reason.

As said before why has a poppy been put on the memorial and also it is a terrible looking thing anyway, you think they would want something more fitting.

Wildweasel74

And how can u erect anything on someone else's land without their permission

Dont Know, ask Crossmaglen, they can tell you all about it!!!

SHEEDY

Keith andrews and kevin doyle sporting poppies on sky sports. :-[
nil satis nisi optimum

Milltown Row2

Two sports presenters on bbc one ni yesterday had no poppies ..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 11, 2017, 10:06:50 PM
Two sports presenters on bbc one ni yesterday had no poppies ..

Who ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Sidebottom and Thomas Kane
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea