Quote from: Itchy on November 05, 2017, 06:46:22 PM
Quote from: michaelg on November 05, 2017, 03:03:33 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 05, 2017, 02:57:14 PM
Quote from: michaelg on November 05, 2017, 01:51:12 PM
Quote from: longballin on November 05, 2017, 01:08:37 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 05, 2017, 11:53:34 AM
Quote from: charlieTully on November 05, 2017, 11:46:52 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 05, 2017, 10:24:22 AM
I'd expect that if a South African rugby player came to Ireland and both outwardly stuck two fingers up to Irish traditions and ways, then spent his days antagonising people about it online, that he would be universally reviled and there would be a campaign to send him packing.

But according to this thread McLean is a sound lad, has courage, and is surrounded by fascists.

Rampant hypocrisy. Rampant, unabashed hypocrisy. The inevitable outcome of people investing themselves in symbolism.

You believe he should wear the poppy?

No. But I do believe he should have enough respect for the country in which he is earning an (extraordinary) income, to do so quietly.

He has stated very respectfully why he doesnt wear a poppy... when did he stick two fingers up or slag them off. James has great courage and dignity.
Was he brave and acting respectfully when he took his stand against GSTQ in the USA when playing a friendly for WBA?

He respectfully declined to stand for the anthem and towards the flag. Bowed his head, and stood still. He could have behaved a lot worse.

Why was GSTQ played at a club match anyway? I'd say there was 6 or 7 different nationalities on that West Brom team so it was totally unnecessary.
He acted like an attention seeking child.  Funny how none of the other players from the different nationalities thought it necessary to turn away, bow head etc.  Agree that there was no need to play the anthems at.  Doesn't mean you sould act like a dick though.

I think it 8s refreshing to see a player with principles. I recall a lad Davy Tweed, DUP man. Was a hypocrite standing soldiers song in Dublin then retreats back up north and returns to be a bigot blocking old women going to church.  No calibre or principle to that man, no courage of conviction when in a hostile environment. Give me Mcclean any day, breath of fresh air.
There would be a, justifiable, outcry if an Ulster Rugby player did something similar with the Soldiers Song in Dublin.  Similarly, if Kyle Lafferty was asked for  his  favourite song, and he replied with The Sash or Derry's Walls in a similar way to McClean's love of The Broad Black Brimmer, there would also be a big hooha made too.  It's double standards for me.  He may do a good lot of work for charity and what have you, but he also does a lot of daft things too.

yellowcard

Quote from: thewobbler on November 05, 2017, 03:24:10 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on November 05, 2017, 03:03:49 PM
How has he been disrespectful wobbler?

For a city that has produced its fair share of sportsmen and woman I can't think of too many to be prouder of.  Some of things he has done for the people and the community here are amazing.  Has never forgotten where he has came from and gives a hell of a lot back.  All done away from the glare of media and attention.  But sure have pot shots at him for his stance on the poppy.  Anybody with a half a brain can understand his views and actions given where hes from.  I dont think it's something he should be derided for, the opposite in fact.  If thats not your opinion  fair enough, but there are many more attributes to his character that deserve attention, and I dont see those same countrymen of his that criticise him ever mentioning that.

I don't ignore it.

But with McClean and his strong opinions, I always find myself returning to a base point that he has, through his own choice, spent his entire adult life working in England.

There are plenty of ways to maintain your cultural identity when living in another country. His is the militant sort. And as mentioned a few posts back, if a foreigner in this country behaved in a similar way he would be similarly reviled. Surely anyone with "half a brain" can work this out?

Sweet Jesus, if refusing to wear a poppy is considered militant then I give up. Maybe he should just sheepishly abandon his principles. Instead he has not forgot his roots when the easy option would be to go with the flow. Have heard how McClean regularly supports local charities with big cash donations. He might be a bit daft and pig headed but I admire his free thinking in a profession where players excel in blandness.

BennyCake

For those who criticise McClean, I think you need to look at the root problem. And that is the decision by the FA and the clubs to agree to have poppies on shirts. There is absolutely no reason for it. Wars are linked to politics, and therefore should not be anywhere near a sporting arena.

Even the wreaths on the pitch, minute silence etc has no place. It is just typical British attitude imposing their thinking on the rest of the world. And let's face it, there is a hell of a lot of nationalities playing football in England, and it is totally unacceptable to subject these players to such situations

Let supporters wear a Poppy if they want. Or managers, even players if they choose in their training gear/matchday suit but on the shirts is just wrong.

James McClean should not even be noticed not wearing a poppy, but the Poppy fascists have ensured that he is. Year after year.

Applesisapples

I'd expect that if a South African rugby player came to Ireland and both outwardly stuck two fingers up to Irish traditions and ways, then spent his days antagonising people about it online, that he would be universally reviled and there would be a campaign to send him packing.

But according to this thread McLean is a sound lad, has courage, and is surrounded by fascists.

Rampant hypocrisy. Rampant, unabashed hypocrisy. The inevitable outcome of people investing themselves in symbolism.

No. But I do believe he should have enough respect for the country in which he is earning an (extraordinary) income, to do so quietly.

He has stated very respectfully why he doesnt wear a poppy... when did he stick two fingers up or slag them off. James has great courage and dignity.
Was he brave and acting respectfully when he took his stand against GSTQ in the USA when playing a friendly for WBA?

He respectfully declined to stand for the anthem and towards the flag. Bowed his head, and stood still. He could have behaved a lot worse.

Why was GSTQ played at a club match anyway? I'd say there was 6 or 7 different nationalities on that West Brom team so it was totally unnecessary.
He acted like an attention seeking child.  Funny how none of the other players from the different nationalities thought it necessary to turn away, bow head etc.  Agree that there was no need to play the anthems at.  Doesn't mean you sould act like a dick though.
Bullshit, given that he is from Derry his stance is both brave and understandable. If he was from any other city on this Island, I would say wear it quietly and respect the country you are working in. It is rich for you as an OWC supporter to be criticising him when the Unionist population has made the poppy a symbol of British domination in NI. But I don't expect you to understand.

Milltown Row2

Didn't realise that Derry had more murders by the Army than Belfast
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

michaelg

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 05, 2017, 07:46:51 PM

Bullshit, given that he is from Derry his stance is both brave and understandable. If he was from any other city on this Island, I would say wear it quietly and respect the country you are working in. It is rich for you as an OWC supporter to be criticising him when the Unionist population has made the poppy a symbol of British domination in NI. But I don't expect you to understand.
Keep up. The post above is not referring to his refusal to wear a poppy. 

longballin

He stood. He should have sat on the floor. You sound like  a right lickspittle...

StGallsGAA

The only thing rampant on here is the knob on your forehead smacking off the keyboard. Do you fellate Tory MPs in your spare time??   Why should McClean give a silent tribute to an army that butchered his innocent  neighbours in cold blood?

general_lee

Quote from: thewobbler on November 05, 2017, 02:40:40 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on November 05, 2017, 02:37:36 PM
We're the folks of the parachute regiment respectful when they murdered people from the same city that James grew up in.  Catch yourself on.  There are enough foreigners out there to criticise McClean never mind those from his own country.

There are approximately 280 countries that James could work in were he would not be subject to British tradition, culture and expectation.

But he’s chosen Britain.

Chosen.

Choice.

He should show some respect.
Idiotic post. It’s Jamie Bryson-esque complete with grammatical error.

McClean is earning a living in the exact same jurisdiction within which he was born and raised. So whether he plays for Institute or West Brom, he still pays his taxes to the same taxman... and let’s not pretend the poppy-wankfest that has manifested itself into football over the last decade doesn’t extend to these shores either. Most Irish league teams have some form of “Remembrance”; so using your logic all players from a Nationalist background must “conform” to this pathetic, political propoganda.

foxcommander

He should have taken a knee.

Imagine the riots that would have caused.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Therealdonald

Quote from: general_lee on November 06, 2017, 05:27:20 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 05, 2017, 02:40:40 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on November 05, 2017, 02:37:36 PM
We're the folks of the parachute regiment respectful when they murdered people from the same city that James grew up in.  Catch yourself on.  There are enough foreigners out there to criticise McClean never mind those from his own country.

There are approximately 280 countries that James could work in were he would not be subject to British tradition, culture and expectation.

But he's chosen Britain.

Chosen.

Choice.

He should show some respect.
Idiotic post. It's Jamie Bryson-esque complete with grammatical error.

McClean is earning a living in the exact same jurisdiction within which he was born and raised. So whether he plays for Institute or West Brom, he still pays his taxes to the same taxman... and let's not pretend the poppy-wankfest that has manifested itself into football over the last decade doesn't extend to these shores either. Most Irish league teams have some form of "Remembrance"; so using your logic all players from a Nationalist background must "conform" to this pathetic, political propoganda.

General Lee tut tut...idiotic post. Surely if the principle of ''choice'' is so important to you, then you understand that McClean has the choice to wear or not wear the poppy? To show apathy with the same soldiers who systematically and with government support (and subsequent cover-up) killed innocent fellow Derry people? Then again General Lee I would surmise that you are one of these Kapaernick should stand for the anthem types, even though the US Army fights for Kapaernick to have the right to protest.....NERD

bennydorano

Quote from: foxcommander on November 06, 2017, 05:54:12 PM
He should have taken a knee.

Imagine the riots that would have caused.
Now that would be worth watching.

StGallsGAA

There's some right knob-jocks on this thread who equate refusal to wear a poppy with disrespecting everyone in England and the fallen in WW1.   No doubt they support Trumps views on the NFL players too.

Wildweasel74

When McClean started playing in England; players didnt have a poppy on their jersey