Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on November 05, 2017, 12:13:13 PM
Exactly wobbler.I would never wear a poppy or an Easter Lily for that matter.But my elderly neighbour comes to my door every year.Throughout the year she takes my post,keeps an eye on the place when I'm not there etc.Out of respect and good neighbourliness,and the fact that generally I do u nderstand  those of a Unionist tradition take the view that Catholics and Protestants both fought and died together and this is non political (I don't agree with this view),I make a small donation,take a poppy,and place it at the bottom of the bin pronto,thus not sacrificing any principle,but simply showing respect to a good neighbour.

Could Arlene's crocodile comments be applied here? Good neighbours or not, I'd politely decline on first visit to prevent him/her returning.

Yes Catholics and Protestants fought (ultimately they were fighting for two different reasons), but unless the Poppy seller has been living under a rock for years, they should know the divisiveness the Poppy causes, and maybe shouldn't call at a known catholic household in the first place.

BennyCake

Quote from: Targetman on November 05, 2017, 09:20:32 AM
He seems to get stick at every match in England he plays, Mc Clean's a sound lad and won't let them pricks annoy him, stick one in the net Saturday night James!!

He nearly scored yesterday. Would have been a sweet moment.

longballin

Quote from: thewobbler on November 05, 2017, 11:53:34 AM
Quote from: charlieTully on November 05, 2017, 11:46:52 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 05, 2017, 10:24:22 AM
I'd expect that if a South African rugby player came to Ireland and both outwardly stuck two fingers up to Irish traditions and ways, then spent his days antagonising people about it online, that he would be universally reviled and there would be a campaign to send him packing.

But according to this thread McLean is a sound lad, has courage, and is surrounded by fascists.

Rampant hypocrisy. Rampant, unabashed hypocrisy. The inevitable outcome of people investing themselves in symbolism.

You believe he should wear the poppy?

No. But I do believe he should have enough respect for the country in which he is earning an (extraordinary) income, to do so quietly.

He has stated very respectfully why he doesnt wear a poppy... when did he stick two fingers up or slag them off. James has great courage and dignity.

michaelg

Quote from: longballin on November 05, 2017, 01:08:37 PM
I'd expect that if a South African rugby player came to Ireland and both outwardly stuck two fingers up to Irish traditions and ways, then spent his days antagonising people about it online, that he would be universally reviled and there would be a campaign to send him packing.

But according to this thread McLean is a sound lad, has courage, and is surrounded by fascists.

Rampant hypocrisy. Rampant, unabashed hypocrisy. The inevitable outcome of people investing themselves in symbolism.

No. But I do believe he should have enough respect for the country in which he is earning an (extraordinary) income, to do so quietly.

He has stated very respectfully why he doesnt wear a poppy... when did he stick two fingers up or slag them off. James has great courage and dignity.
Was he brave and acting respectfully when he took his stand against GSTQ in the USA when playing a friendly for WBA?

An Watcher

We're the folks of the parachute regiment respectful when they murdered people from the same city that James grew up in.  Catch yourself on.  There are enough foreigners out there to criticise McClean never mind those from his own country.

thewobbler

Quote from: An Watcher on November 05, 2017, 02:37:36 PM
We're the folks of the parachute regiment respectful when they murdered people from the same city that James grew up in.  Catch yourself on.  There are enough foreigners out there to criticise McClean never mind those from his own country.

There are approximately 280 countries that James could work in were he would not be subject to British tradition, culture and expectation.

But he's chosen Britain.

Chosen.

Choice.

He should show some respect.

BennyCake

Quote from: michaelg on November 05, 2017, 01:51:12 PM

Was he brave and acting respectfully when he took his stand against GSTQ in the USA when playing a friendly for WBA?

He respectfully declined to stand for the anthem and towards the flag. Bowed his head, and stood still. He could have behaved a lot worse.

Why was GSTQ played at a club match anyway? I'd say there was 6 or 7 different nationalities on that West Brom team so it was totally unnecessary.

michaelg

Quote from: BennyCake on November 05, 2017, 02:57:14 PM

He respectfully declined to stand for the anthem and towards the flag. Bowed his head, and stood still. He could have behaved a lot worse.

Why was GSTQ played at a club match anyway? I'd say there was 6 or 7 different nationalities on that West Brom team so it was totally unnecessary.
He acted like an attention seeking child.  Funny how none of the other players from the different nationalities thought it necessary to turn away, bow head etc.  Agree that there was no need to play the anthems at.  Doesn't mean you sould act like a dick though.

HiMucker

How has he been disrespectful wobbler?

For a city that has produced its fair share of sportsmen and woman I can't think of too many to be prouder of.  Some of things he has done for the people and the community here are amazing.  Has never forgotten where he has came from and gives a hell of a lot back.  All done away from the glare of media and attention.  But sure have pot shots at him for his stance on the poppy.  Anybody with a half a brain can understand his views and actions given where hes from.  I dont think it's something he should be derided for, the opposite in fact.  If thats not your opinion  fair enough, but there are many more attributes to his character that deserve attention, and I dont see those same countrymen of his that criticise him ever mentioning that.

thewobbler

Quote from: HiMucker on November 05, 2017, 03:03:49 PM

For a city that has produced its fair share of sportsmen and woman I can't think of too many to be prouder of.  Some of things he has done for the people and the community here are amazing.  Has never forgotten where he has came from and gives a hell of a lot back.  All done away from the glare of media and attention.  But sure have pot shots at him for his stance on the poppy.  Anybody with a half a brain can understand his views and actions given where hes from.  I dont think it's something he should be derided for, the opposite in fact.  If thats not your opinion  fair enough, but there are many more attributes to his character that deserve attention, and I dont see those same countrymen of his that criticise him ever mentioning that.

I don't ignore it.

But with McClean and his strong opinions, I always find myself returning to a base point that he has, through his own choice, spent his entire adult life working in England.

There are plenty of ways to maintain your cultural identity when living in another country. His is the militant sort. And as mentioned a few posts back, if a foreigner in this country behaved in a similar way he would be similarly reviled. Surely anyone with "half a brain" can work this out?

HiMucker

Quote from: thewobbler on November 05, 2017, 03:24:10 PM

I don't ignore it.

But with McClean and his strong opinions, I always find myself returning to a base point that he has, through his own choice, spent his entire adult life working in England.

There are plenty of ways to maintain your cultural identity when living in another country. His is the militant sort. And as mentioned a few posts back, if a foreigner in this country behaved in a similar way he would be similarly reviled. Surely anyone with "half a brain" can work this out?
Seriously?  You think his actions are of the "militant sort"?

OgraAnDun

Quote from: thewobbler on November 05, 2017, 03:24:10 PM

I don't ignore it.

Using your earlier example, if Ireland had butchered countless innocent South Africans, I'm sure we would understand if a South African rugby player living in Ireland didn't want to commemorate those responsible for the butchering.

tonto1888

exactly. McClean has behaved with dignity even when faced with extreme provocation. I'm surprised at some of the comments directed at him on here

red hander

Quote from: michaelg on November 05, 2017, 03:03:33 PM

He acted like an attention seeking child.  Funny how none of the other players from the different nationalities thought it necessary to turn away, bow head etc.  Agree that there was no need to play the anthems at.  Doesn't mean you sould act like a dick though.

Good lad James, stick to your principles. No more will the Croppie lie down

Itchy

Quote from: michaelg on November 05, 2017, 03:03:33 PM

I think it 8s refreshing to see a player with principles. I recall a lad Davy Tweed, DUP man. Was a hypocrite standing soldiers song in Dublin then retreats back up north and returns to be a bigot blocking old women going to church.  No calibre or principle to that man, no courage of conviction when in a hostile environment. Give me Mcclean any day, breath of fresh air.