Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 31, 2017, 09:39:25 PM
Poppy's was from the First World War because it involved so many countries and was classed as world war! The second, regardless of the stupid stuff said here about the royals and whatever, was about fighting the Nazis... anyone who thinks that had Hitler won the war would have changed his views on anything is a daft twat!

Hitler had a plan, Ireland wasn't part of it, neutrality would have counted for shit!

Any war the Brits were involved in after that was purely to back up treaties built with other countries!

There were hundreds of wars the Brits were involved in before the first and they were all based on their empire building ...

For most Brits it's about the world wars with the poppy,  over here it's about the fecking UDR RUC and The UVF! The old UVF that's what's gets up peoples goat..

Malaya? Aden? Trying to hold on to their 'empire' and in the process slaughtering thousands. And they'd have murdered thousands more in the rest of their 'empire' if the Yanks had have reverted to Isolationism after WWII

Avondhu star

Quote from: seafoid on October 31, 2017, 07:05:26 PM
Quote from: stew on October 31, 2017, 06:53:14 PM
Quote from: Arthur_Friend on October 31, 2017, 04:55:52 PM
Can anyone please tell me which war the British Army fought which was about freedom?

Well they kind of helped the world out between 1939-45, if they had caved we would be speaking Russian or German by this point, magnificently the Irish government decided to remain neutral and accept whatever fate came to them depending on who won, thankfully the allies won in large part to the yanks getting involved with armies and their air force, navy etc after Pearl Harbor.
The Soviets beat the Nazis. Just 27 million dead to do it. The war was over after Stalingrad. D-day couldn't have happened before Stalingrad.

The Brits didn't do much in the big scheme of things.
They went into the war to defend Polish freedom and when the war was over they abandoned Poland.
A lot of the Poles were happy to have Uncle Joe and the rest of the Moscow boys call the shots.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Avondhu star

Poppy's was from the First World War because it involved so many countries and was classed as world war! The second, regardless of the stupid stuff said here about the royals and whatever, was about fighting the Nazis... anyone who thinks that had Hitler won the war would have changed his views on anything is a daft twat!

Hitler had a plan, Ireland wasn't part of it, neutrality would have counted for shit!

Any war the Brits were involved in after that was purely to back up treaties built with other countries!

There were hundreds of wars the Brits were involved in before the first and they were all based on their empire building ...

For most Brits it's about the world wars with the poppy,  over here it's about the fecking UDR RUC and The UVF! The old UVF that's what's gets up peoples goat..
Sean Russell and the other pro Nazis in the I.R.A. would be the first Adolph would have put up against a wall
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Milltown Row2

Quote from: red hander on October 31, 2017, 10:22:59 PM

Malaya? Aden? Trying to hold on to their 'empire' and in the process slaughtering thousands. And they'd have murdered thousands more in the rest of their 'empire' if the Yanks had have reverted to Isolationism after WWII

You read my post? I addressed the empire pillaging and after that how the countries descended into civil war, big like here post 16

My point stand regardless of your blind hatred of all things British! The poppy is a charity based on the World wars, it's used for ex service men and like all charities its big business, huge sums coming in and people are well paid to run these things... what we have is (for 2 months of the year) a charity making hay as the sun shines, I've never looked at it as being anything other than a charity, same way as I look at the Easter Lily as being a rememberance for the Easter rising and the Shamrock as a flower to remember St Patrick's day.. I'll not take offence st people wearing it or not wearing it.. there are a thousand and one things in life more important
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

red hander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 31, 2017, 10:36:07 PM

You read my post? I addressed the empire pillaging and after that how the countries descended into civil war, big like here post 16

My point stand regardless of your blind hatred of all things British! The poppy is a charity based on the World wars, it's used for ex service men and like all charities its big business, huge sums coming in and people are well paid to run these things... what we have is (for 2 months of the year) a charity making hay as the sun shines, I've never looked at it as being anything other than a charity, same way as I look at the Easter Lily as being a rememberance for the Easter rising and the Shamrock as a flower to remember St Patrick's day.. I'll not take offence st people wearing it or not wearing it.. there are a thousand and one things in life more important

Bit of a stretch (even for you) to take my criticisms of Britain's shameful imperialism as blind hatred of all things British. If I had a blind hatred of all things British I wouldn't have lived in England for three years or be friends with many English, Welsh and Scottish people. IMO, if the Brit government wants people to fight and die for it, then the Brit government should fund ALL the care for physically or mentally scarred veterans

Tony Baloney

I look forward to the same arguments this time every year.

Milltown Row2

Shit you lived in England! And to think that's the criteria for loving the place!! Oh I've english welsh and Scottish friends! Big f**king deal, who doesn't Ffs! But the crap about the poppy you waffle  on about  is just that, waffle!

It's a charity, they give the money to ex service men, the government do provide their servicemen with a pension, you'd know that having lived in England for three years 😂😂.. there is medical care for service men also, and after they are servicemen, it's called the NHS... it's completely stretched but hey that's probably the Poppy's fault!

There are thousand of countries with armies that are in some war of sorts, bleat about them while you are at it..

The country has always had a naval army base! That's history that's standing that's just what's been, getting involved in other countries problems isn't just a British thing, the French, Spanish, Dutch, Belgium's, Germans! Have done it for centuries, doesn't make it right but hey ho I have heard you give off about the other countries , and let's not get started on the yanks!

Address the government not the charity
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 31, 2017, 11:53:22 PM
Shit you lived in England! And to think that's the criteria for loving the place!! Oh I've english welsh and Scottish friends! Big f**king deal, who doesn't Ffs! But the crap about the poppy you waffle  on about  is just that, waffle!

It's a charity, they give the money to ex service men, the government do provide their servicemen with a pension, you'd know that having lived in England for three years 😂😂.. there is medical care for service men also, and after they are servicemen, it's called the NHS... it's completely stretched but hey that's probably the Poppy's fault!

There are thousand of countries with armies that are in some war of sorts, bleat about them while you are at it..

The country has always had a naval army base! That's history that's standing that's just what's been, getting involved in other countries problems isn't just a British thing, the French, Spanish, Dutch, Belgium's, Germans! Have done it for centuries, doesn't make it right but hey ho I have heard you give off about the other countries , and let's not get started on the yanks!

Do they also support the terrorists responsible for the massacres in Derry and Ballymurphy? Or the various other murders carried out by the British Army here? Because I imagine that a lot of people on this forum wouldn't mind giving them something, but it wouldn't be the hard earned coins out of their own pocket.

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 31, 2017, 10:36:07 PM

If WW2 was the last war Britain fought in, it'd bE different. lets say the youngest ex serviceman was 18 in 1945, making him roughly 90. There's probably a few dozen 90 year old ex servicemen alive today. Let's say in 10 years, all are gone. Meaning the charity has fulfilled it's duty. No more ex soldiers to care for. But there is always a war, isn't there?

Milltown Row2

Jesus lad get over it, the charity is for ex service men regardless! They join an army that in most cases it's the only job they'll get ! It's the government that send them to war! How stupid are you, do you honestly think the lads want to be put in danger and risk their lives every day?

You issues are with the government sending them to Belfast Derry and any other part of NI where they carried out their dirty acts! Had the government not sent them we'd not be discussing it.  Stop blaming the poppy

Milltown Row2

Quote from: OgraAnDun on November 01, 2017, 12:01:53 AM

Do they also support the terrorists responsible for the massacres in Derry and Ballymurphy? Or the various other murders carried out by the British Army here? Because I imagine that a lot of people on this forum wouldn't mind giving them something, but it wouldn't be the hard earned coins out of their own pocket.

Do who support the terrorist? The poppy organisation?

I'd say the Army lost a lot of service men here during the war that's what happens... who'd be giving them money here from a nationalist side? And you'll hardly be giving them something else from behind the keyboard, they haven't been here for years so you've missed your chance, though you could join Isis and get a go at them if you're up for it

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 01, 2017, 08:01:56 AM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on November 01, 2017, 12:01:53 AM

Do who support the terrorist? The poppy organisation?

I'd say the Army lost a lot of service men here during the war that's what happens... who'd be giving them money here from a nationalist side? And you'll hardly be giving them something else from behind the keyboard, they haven't been here for years so you've missed your chance, though you could join Isis and get a go at them if you're up for it

Who said anything about imitating their dirty actions? And yes, do the "poppy organisation" financially support those who carried out despicable acts in Ireland?

It's understandable that people will criticise poppies and poppy fascism, I don't think it's too hard to comprehend why people are opposed to the idea of the poppy being shoved down our throats.

Applesisapples

This thread is getting lost in an argument over the behaviour of the British through the centuries. In essence this thread is meant to be about the poppy and its misuse as a political symbol, which it isn't intended to be. Governments tend not to take care of returning soldiers, the USA is as bad as Britain in this regard. As Irish people we have a natural antipathy to the British Army and for good reasons. However we should not be blinded to the purpose of the poppy across the water based on our own experiences and the total misuse of it in NI as a symbol of domination. People should be free to wear or not as they choose but when broadcasters, football teams etc make the wearing of it a necessity in this divided society they are taking sides IFA take note, BBC take note and UTV take note.

Milltown Row2

correct post, applesisapples

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 01, 2017, 07:56:37 AM
Jesus lad get over it, the charity is for ex service men regardless! They join an army that in most cases it's the only job they'll get ! It's the government that send them to war! How stupid are you, do you honestly think the lads want to be put in danger and risk their lives every day?

You issues are with the government sending them to Belfast Derry and any other part of NI where they carried out their dirty acts! Had the government not sent them we'd not be discussing it.  Stop blaming the poppy

Well if you join an army, the odds are high that you'll see battle.

It's not only what the British army did in Ireland that's the problem. Iraq and Afghanistan doesn't affect my everyday life, but it's still disgusting what they're doing over there. Just because the army is no longer on our streets, doesn't make it right. THe fact is, they're on somebody's streets.