Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: HiMucker on September 28, 2017, 09:19:06 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 25, 2017, 10:59:36 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on September 25, 2017, 10:53:01 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 25, 2017, 10:48:02 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 25, 2017, 09:56:29 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 24, 2017, 11:21:34 PM
Jesus! The paranoia is early again this year! People wear poppies people wear lillies who actually gives a f**k?

I've never heard of people being pretty much obliged to wear lilies on TV shows of playing football. So not the same.

Anyone that wears a poppy on the BBC wears it cause they want too, if they don't want to they won't... so take that issue up with them

Not sure about that

Well more fool them for wearing it, purely personal choice as legally you don't have to. I could be wrong there but I doubt it very much... obviously if they are wearing against their "stance" then they are numpties
I think that's unfair.  I know for a fact Thomas Niblock wasn't allowed in front of a camera by the BBC during these months because he refused to wear a poppy.  You could argue that it could hinder your career due to a reduced profile, and therefore see how others in the media are maybe forced in to wearing it "against their stance" as you say.  I wouldn't say people like that are numpties.

Well that's a sad set up and we've seen it in the past with various other presenters but unless they make a stand then they wont be heard and it wil continue...

I left school at 16 and started out as an apprentice in the Shipyard, we started in September so that late October right through November was spot the taig competition... I suppose there wasnt many off us so it wasnt difficult when we turned up every day without a Poppy on, workers rights werent exactly top of the management's views at the time I started but it changed dramitically over the years, but no matter how many times the box of poppies go round I never noticed any of the catholics either buying or wearing them, we still worked and progressed through the job, if something like the BBC are discriminating on presenters in this day and age then there must be good evidence to hold them accountable..

be good to hear from some employee or ex employee (think we had an employee/ex employee on here :o)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

The bbc don't have to discrimate against their presenters. The Poppy fascist public do that for them.

Rossfan

Doesn't Sidebottom present the Saturday Sports thing on 6Cos BBC gan  poppy??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Denn Forever

Quote from: Rossfan on September 28, 2017, 05:31:02 PM
Doesn't Sidebottom present the Saturday Sports thing on 6Cos BBC gán  poppy??
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Applesisapples

So the Nation that is Northern Ireland will wear the poppy in the November internationals. So much for the IFA's inclusivity and cross community ethos. Shown for the lip service it is.

vallankumous

Quote from: BennyCake on September 28, 2017, 10:05:42 AM
The Poppy appeal is being prioritised in the media because the government want it pushed. Why is one charity prioritised over countless others? Like I said before, it's counter productive for the government. The more it's pushed, the less work and money they have to do to support their troops. The appeal does that for them.

It's common across Europe nowadays.
Promote anything that demands allegiance to the sate. Ban anything that might be seen as a higher power than the state, including conscientious  objection.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 31, 2017, 10:10:10 AM
So the Nation that is Northern Ireland will wear the poppy in the November internationals. So much for the IFA's inclusivity and cross community ethos. Shown for the lip service it is.

Don't watch the match!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Don't play for or support any IFA soccer teams or affiliated clubs.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Estimator

On BBC breakfast this morning, they were interviewing a pig farmer about Brexit impacts. The producers made sure they'd pinned a crisp new poppy on to his overalls.
Ulster League Champions 2009

lurganblue

Surely that would go down like a lead balloon for some of the squad? maybe not...

The whole footballers being forced to wear them thing.... surely there are loads of that wide spectrum of people who do not agree with what it stands for, or the actions of the state now or even in the past?  Surely others have gripes about the actions of British soldiers around the world?  Baffles me that the only person who seems to have expressed an opposing opinion is McClean

Milltown Row2

If you can look at from a charity thing, rather than whatever makes you rage thing then its a good cause..

I dislike the British empire, as much as the next guy but really, who gives a fcuk? A lot of gurnning over a poppy flower, dig in over November and end of October and you'll come out unscathed

OgraAnDun

Quote from: lurganblue on October 31, 2017, 12:49:53 PM

Surely that would go down like a lead balloon for some of the squad? maybe not...

The whole footballers being forced to wear them thing.... surely there are loads of that wide spectrum of people who do not agree with what it stands for, or the actions of the state now or even in the past?  Surely others have gripes about the actions of British soldiers around the world?  Baffles me that the only person who seems to have expressed an opposing opinion is McClean

He's the only one that has the balls to do it.

stew

Quote from: OgraAnDun on October 31, 2017, 01:33:06 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on October 31, 2017, 12:49:53 PM

He's the only one that has the balls to do it.
Think Hollywood, every f**ker in the place knows whats going on but due to money concerns the hide like rats in a sewer until it all kicks off and then they will come out of the woodwork and take a stance Mclean had had for years.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

PAULD123

In general the poppy is meant to be a symbol of peace and sadness that war has caused death. they are sold to collect money to help people who have been bereaved by these conflicts.

All good so far except that the story doesn't end there. It is quite clear that it is now used as a symbol of vitriol. It is a marker not of sadness at all conflict death but a glorifying of victories and the glory of battle itself. If we say all conflicts are sad and regrettable then how can the poppy and poppy day be used to glorify the military effort? It has become a pseudo glorification not condemnation of war.

Also it has become a defacto symbol of everything it should be opposed to. To refuse to wear one means being treated with disgust by our media. When the fact that the poppy exists should be only justified in allowing freedom as a result of the bloodshed instead of allowing only the freedom to do exactly as the bullies tell you (kinda sounds like the very thing that was being fought).

In principle I think it is fair to say - You may be right, but I will only agree with you when you stop saying I am not allowed to choose anything other than agreeing with you.

As for closer to home. No English, Scots, or Welsh villages suffered British Soldiers harassing and abusing the residents let alone shooting them.  If it were truly a symbol of peace not selfish self-righteousness then the poppy sellers would all universally condemn the atrocities of the British Army in Northern Ireland and agree it is an inappropriate symbol for us. After all they don't insist on the Germans wearing them...

BennyCake

What was the outcome of the 1916 rising commemoration on the Ireland shirt? Were the FAI fined for that?