Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: general_lee on November 08, 2015, 10:57:31 PM
I see Jeremy Corbyn getting a hard time for not "bowing down" enough at the cenotaph while he laid down a wreath.  ::)

This sort of shite is firmly engrained in British society and has been for the past decade or so. For me the poppy means less and less the more people and the media especially bang on about crap like this. Is there even any ww1 veterans still alive?

There's a funny clip somewhere of commentary from North Korea dubbed over footage of royal celebrations from 2015 and it's actually worrying how compatible it is with the undying devotion that so many British people give these unelected millionaires.
I was reading on Twitter that after the ceremony Corbyn spent time talking to veterans whilst Cameron et al headed off for the 3 course lunch. The poster who pointed it out was castigated for politising remembrance Sunday.

SHEEDY

ulster rugby team not wearing a poppy on their jerseys yesterday and utv news has it as one of their top stories. wtf.   ???
nil satis nisi optimum

Aaron Boone

Quote from: SHEEDY on November 09, 2015, 06:27:00 PM
ulster rugby team not wearing a poppy on their jerseys yesterday and utv news has it as one of their top stories. wtf.   ???
An enormous snub to the veterans.

Rossfan

Last I heard Ulster rubby covers the 9 Counties.
It's not some kind of loyal "Ulster" 6 County Unionist political organisation.
They did something right anyway - upset Archbigot Allister. ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on November 09, 2015, 07:22:17 PM

I wonder if he has a mitre for when he's in bigot mode.

Rossfan

Quote from: BennyCake on November 09, 2015, 07:59:26 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 09, 2015, 07:22:17 PM

I wonder if he has a mitre for when he's in bigot mode.
Has he another mode?? :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: LeoMc on November 08, 2015, 11:03:45 PM
I was reading on Twitter that after the ceremony Corbyn spent time talking to veterans whilst Cameron et al headed off for the 3 course lunch. The poster who pointed it out was castigated for politising remembrance Sunday.

Jeremy Corbyn:

• Both Parents served in WW2
  • Wore his Poppy
  • Laid a wreath with personal handwritten note
  • As you said, stayed chatting with vetersans while other VIPs went to lunch
  • Attended a second commemoration in his own constituency

Real beef these guys have is that he has publicly said he is not a monarchist and he doesn't bow/kneel/curtsy etc...

/Jim.

Declan

Noticed that Jon Snow on C4 news doesn't wear one. Have a memory of him giving his reasons and saying he'll wear it on remembrance Sunday but not before

johnneycool

Quote from: Declan on November 10, 2015, 12:52:11 PM
Noticed that Jon Snow on C4 news doesn't wear one. Have a memory of him giving his reasons and saying he'll wear it on remembrance Sunday but not before

Micky O'Neill and the Norn Iron football squad at some sort of civic reception in Belfast last night weren't wearing any on the newsreel I was watching!!

LeoMc

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on November 10, 2015, 11:54:29 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on November 08, 2015, 11:03:45 PM

Jeremy Corbyn:

• Both Parents served in WW2
  • Wore his Poppy
  • Laid a wreath with personal handwritten note
  • As you said, stayed chatting with vetersans while other VIPs went to lunch
  • Attended a second commemoration in his own constituency

Real beef these guys have is that he has publicly said he is not a monarchist and he doesn't bow/kneel/curtsy etc...

/Jim.

But according to the Sun* he did not bow at the correct angle and so was disrespectful to the Glorious dead.

*The same Sun which hacked the voice mail of dead soldiers families...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Declan on November 10, 2015, 12:52:11 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34720464

Nigel White

All this craic about TV personalities wearing poppies is fine and well, but we need consistency. This time last year I literally came across a TV Channel  - Babestation TV - Number 908 on the Skybox. To my amazement the presenter, a miss Candy Charms, was not wearing a poppy. In fairness, mind you, she was wearing very little, but thats not the point. I raised the matter with Jim Allister and heard nothing back. Today, 1 year later, I phoned his office to find out what action he had taken, but the girl in the office told me Jim wasn't available as he was at the opticians as his eyesight has been deteriorating over the last 12 months.

extra time

Mark McFadden not wearing one on Utv live this evening.

lenny

Quote from: Nigel White on November 10, 2015, 05:38:45 PM
All this craic about TV personalities wearing poppies is fine and well, but we need consistency. This time last year I literally came across a TV Channel  - Babestation TV - Number 908 on the Skybox. To my amazement the presenter, a miss Candy Charms, was not wearing a poppy. In fairness, mind you, she was wearing very little, but thats not the point. I raised the matter with Jim Allister and heard nothing back. Today, 1 year later, I phoned his office to find out what action he had taken, but the girl in the office told me Jim wasn't available as he was at the opticians as his eyesight has been deteriorating over the last 12 months.

lol