Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: Estimator on October 29, 2015, 08:27:39 PM
Conor McGregor has been getting a bit of abuse over his wearing of the poppy.
This is his response:

I know where my allegiance lies and what I do for my country.
I don't need a stupid little flower with a 100 different meanings to tell me if I do or do not represent my country.
Check the facts of its original meaning.
ALL soldiers. ALL wars.
I have the blood of many nations on my gloves. Fought and beat on the world stage.
You have a pint in your hand and a Celtic jersey on in your local. f**k you and the Queen.

:o

muppet

Quote from: JoG2 on October 30, 2015, 09:34:08 AM
This is his response:

I don't need a stupid little flower with a 100 different meanings to tell me if I do or do not represent my country.
ALL soldiers. ALL wars.
I have the blood of many nations on my gloves. Fought and beat on the world stage.
You have a pint in your hand and a Celtic jersey on in your local. f**k you and the Queen.

I would guess he is referring to the Irish who died in WW1.

I wouldn't wear it personally.

No matter what religion you subscribe to, or what legal or political ideology you follow, every man is free to choose and if he chooses to be an idiot, then he is entitled to be an idiot.
MWWSI 2017

red hander

Quote from: JoG2 on October 30, 2015, 09:34:08 AM
This is his response:

ALL soldiers. ALL wars.

I'm sure surviving members of Himmler's Einzatzgruppen will be delighted they're being recognised.

Meanwhile, wear it with pride...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/two-ex-soldiers-charged-raping-6731011

The Iceman

Quote from: Kursk on October 30, 2015, 12:59:11 AM
Quote from: The Iceman on October 29, 2015, 11:57:54 PM
How does that address him running in a real life no rules situation?
He's a prize fighter after the coin. Ali was everything McGregor was when it came to showboating and running his mouth. But it's more the last point I was challenging that he would run a mile in a real life no rules situation...

He wears the poppy with a full awareness of its significance. If a man cant take a stand against a symbol with such a divisive image in his own country do you honestly believe he would stand up in a real world situation ?

you're doing quite well since you started posting... I wouldn't personally make any assumptions about a professional fighter in a real life situation other than you'd want nobody else beside you in a scrap. A trained man beats an average man 9/10 times.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Kursk

Quote from: The Iceman on October 30, 2015, 06:34:09 PM
Quote from: Kursk on October 30, 2015, 12:59:11 AM
Quote from: The Iceman on October 29, 2015, 11:57:54 PM
How does that address him running in a real life no rules situation?
He's a prize fighter after the coin. Ali was everything McGregor was when it came to showboating and running his mouth. But it's more the last point I was challenging that he would run a mile in a real life no rules situation...

He wears the poppy with a full awareness of its significance. If a man cant take a stand against a symbol with such a divisive image in his own country do you honestly believe he would stand up in a real world situation ?

you're doing quite well since you started posting... I wouldn't personally make any assumptions about a professional fighter in a real life situation other than you'd want nobody else beside you in a scrap. A trained man beats an average man 9/10 times.

One minute he is wearing a poppy, next minute he is saying f**k the queen...   ::) Nobody is doubting he has the physical tools to deal with a real world situation. He'd beat the shite of me, you and anyone else for sure, however, I would question his character. I think he would cut and run if he sensed any real threat. He clearly is a man with no convictions.

Anyway, to be honest, I really don't care what this two bit  lout thinks. He is symptomatic of what is wrong with Irish society. Until he appeared the general attitude toward UFC was one of pious indifference. Now suddenly all the "bro's" are raving about it. Complete bullshit.

deiseach

Someone took the time to ensure this TV camera could not be accused of hating freedom and loving the terrorists. Take that, Provos!

AZOffaly

How is the Poppy received in Germany I wonder? I wondered would Klopp wear one, and as a Liverpool fan I hoped he would so there wouldn't be any messing in the media about it.

illdecide

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 02, 2015, 12:30:47 PM
How is the Poppy received in Germany I wonder? I wondered would Klopp wear one, and as a Liverpool fan I hoped he would so there wouldn't be any messing in the media about it.

Can u not see the poppy on his top?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

Just walked down the Lower Ormeau Road with a fella from work and him wearing a poppy...Could have got me a kicking...lol
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

AZOffaly

Quote from: illdecide on November 02, 2015, 02:26:37 PM

I can. That's what I meant, I hoped he would so there wouldn't be any messing about it, and so I was glad he did. Therefore, I wonder how is that received in Germany.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 02, 2015, 02:29:44 PM
Quote from: illdecide on November 02, 2015, 02:26:37 PM

I can. That's what I meant, I hoped he would so there wouldn't be any messing about it, and so I was glad he did. Therefore, I wonder how is that received in Germany.

The Germans are pragmatists, not navel gazers.
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

I'm sure the Germans will appreciate that he was only obeying orders.

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on November 02, 2015, 04:06:40 PM
I'm sure the Germans will appreciate that he was only obeying orders.

OOoohhh. Controversial.

Orior

I once went to a conference with a customer in Munich. My customer was wearing a poppy, and a young German lady complemented him on it, not knowing what it mean. I laughed inside.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians