Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Do Easter Lillies annoy unionists?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on November 12, 2014, 08:18:11 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 12, 2014, 08:05:24 PM

Rule 21 should have been brought in for the 26 counties and phased in to the 6 counties as a mark of respect for the suffering caused to northern Gaels .

Daftness with a capital D. How exactly would it be "phased in" ???? County by County?
The ban was removed as a result of the new Political agreement ion the 6 Cos and because a new(ish) Police service was being introduced.
It was mainly so young Nationalists could join the new Service and remain members of the GAA.
Anyway it was the removal of a ban NOT making it compulsory for members of the RUC/British Army to become members of the GAA.

I agree with lynchboy on rule 21. Most in the 26 have no idea about the North's security forces situation. That's like me voting on a law involving Maoris.

And it wasn't a new police force. Different name, same scum.

SHEEDY

girl in work still wearing a poppy today and another fella has one taped to the side of his computer all year round!!!  >:( 
nil satis nisi optimum

BennyCake

Quote from: SHEEDY on November 12, 2014, 08:36:40 PM
girl in work still wearing a poppy today and another fella has one taped to the side of his computer all year round!!!  >:(

Id rip it off and make the **** eat it!

Whatever happened to no symbols in the workplace? Unless you're in an orchestra.

Milltown Row2

Total hanging offence that one!! Bring back the birch
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

charlieTully

As a Down man the mention of rule 21 brings on a sense of shame.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: BennyCake on November 12, 2014, 08:36:20 PM

Rule 21 should have been brought in for the 26 counties and phased in to the 6 counties as a mark of respect for the suffering caused to northern Gaels .

Daftness with a capital D. How exactly would it be "phased in" ???? County by County?
The ban was removed as a result of the new Political agreement ion the 6 Cos and because a new(ish) Police service was being introduced.
It was mainly so young Nationalists could join the new Service and remain members of the GAA.
Anyway it was the removal of a ban NOT making it compulsory for members of the RUC/British Army to become members of the GAA.

I agree with lynchboy on rule 21. Most in the 26 have no idea about the North's security forces situation. That's like me voting on a law involving Maoris.

Complete ballacks.

charlieTully

Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 12, 2014, 08:47:36 PM

Complete ballacks.
read Brian Fenny s colume in today's Irish News. 

foxcommander

Quote from: charlieTully on November 12, 2014, 08:41:47 PM
As a Down man the mention of rule 21 brings on a sense of shame.

A sense of shame of what the security forces did during those years.

Ditto Enda Kenny's rant today in the dail. He's doing his very best to divert attention from the Water debate.
He's all into 32 county politics when it suits him.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

lynchbhoy

No harm to you, but your pov is idiotic!
However it is your point of view.

Just to answer your 'question' - quite easily.
The ban would have been lifted in the 26 counties at the time agreed and occurred ( not that it had or made one iota of difference to anyone outside of ulster plus maybe Louth and Leitrim.
The ban would start to be phased in on 'trial basis' for certain elements six months later in the 6 counties and in full after another 6 months.
What issues would that have made?
Those anti GAA wouldn't have cared. The GAA folk in ulster and 6 counties who had suffered for their GAA association would have been mostly placated by this acknowledgement .

A lot of the 'abandonment ' and feeling of being betrayed by their own association has not been forgotten by a lot of Gaels I know in north and mid Derry at least.

But I'm sure you know better!!!

lynchbhoy

+1
Spot on Benny

Myles Na G.

Quote from: charlieTully on November 12, 2014, 08:52:48 PM

Complete ballacks.
It's too late to buy it and unavailable online - care to summarise his main points?

gallsman

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 12, 2014, 09:15:02 PM

+1
Spot on Benny

Regardless of what they know or believe, when it comes to the rules of the GAA, their voices count too. You can't have an All Ireland organisation and then demand that different rules should apply to different parts of it.

Other than the symbolism of it, what has the abolishment of the rule done? A couple of exhibition games involving the PSNI? A few lads working for the PSNI and playing for their club (Ronan Kerr scandalously lost his life because of this ffs)? If their club mates accept them, what business is it of yours?

Rossfan

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 12, 2014, 09:14:02 PM
A lot of the 'abandonment ' and feeling of being betrayed by their own association has not been forgotten by a lot of Gaels I know in north and mid Derry at least.

So how are they worse off now than before the Rule was abolished that gives those feelings of "abondonment and betrayal"?

The organisation made a decision in accordance with its rules. Accept it and get on with organising/playing Gaelic games which is what the GAA is for - else get out of the GAA.
You either want an All Ireland organisation or 2 separate organisations - a 6 Co and 26 Co one - or one with separate rules in both jurisdictions - Partitionism at its worst.
If the majority of the GAA aren't "pure " enough for some 6 Co extremists - they're still the majority.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

charlieTully

Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 12, 2014, 10:04:23 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on November 12, 2014, 08:52:48 PM

Complete ballacks.
It's too late to buy it and unavailable online - care to summarise his main points?

£500 million patten pay off, £250 million compo for hearing loss for RUC men, £250 million udr/rir payoff,  £20 million ruc reserve, £100 million rehiring those who were retired through patten.  Yet they can't find £340,000 for the ombudsman s budget.