Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 06, 2014, 10:47:37 AM
The Poppy is the International symbol of remembrance. Is the problem that they are sold by the British Legion and  it seems to have been hijacked to symbolise all/only British soldiers who have been killed? 

It is not an international symbol of remembrance. It's the British Legion's symbol, and with the best will in the world it's never going to be a symbol that resonates for me.

Rossfan

The Poppy is the International symbol of remembrance.

I've never seen any people from other (e.g EU ) countries wearing them.

I regret to say there will be people wearing them in Boyle again this year in what could have been a dignified historical event to recall/record Roscommon people who died in volunteered for or died in WW1.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

deiseach

Quote from: Rossfan on November 06, 2014, 11:05:03 AM

You'd see it in Empire Commonwealth countries.

rosnarun

I was watching Boardwalk Empire last night and they were having  a memorial day service . set in early 1920's and they were all wearing Poppies.
the Main reason I would have a problem with poppies and is the facist manner in which they are promted .
they are now a celebration of the english army,  all their mighty deeds and slaughters many of which were done to the Irish. not to mention the Lies they and their willing folls like redmond told young  irish boys in 1914,
i think the real remberance going on is back to a time when the english were relevant on the world scene
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

BennyCake

If it was about remembering the two WW's, that's fine, but it's not. Britain have been at war/occupied countries for 100 continuous years.

It's the talk around Poppy Day that pisses me off: the likes of, these guys are heroes, they do such a great job for us... How? By blowing the fcuk out of innocent people on the other side of the world?! It's like what they're doing in Iraq/Afghanistan is such a noble thing. Don't insult my intelligence! But that's how it's put across in the media and people continue to take in the bullshit that's fed to them.

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on November 06, 2014, 11:05:03 AM
The Poppy is the International symbol of remembrance.

I regret to say there will be people wearing them in Boyle again this year in what could have been a dignified historical event to recall/record Roscommon people who died in volunteered for or died in WW1.

I've seen a German wearing a Poppy.

armaghniac

There will be a commemoration service next week with representatives from many countries, these people will provide a dignified commemoration, but the French, Belgian, German, Russian, Italian or Austrian representatives will not be wearing a poppy. The wearing of paper poppy is a British thing and not a multinational commemoration of war.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

deiseach

Hardy

deiseach

Anyone got a photo of a Greek wearing a poppy?

5 Sams

Quote from: deiseach on November 05, 2014, 02:34:10 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on November 05, 2014, 02:22:03 PM
As i am sure the Unionists get annoyed and antagonised by the wearing of the Easter lily. People can find offence with almost anything, if they are so inclined...

The only thing that bugs me about the poppy is its ubiquity on British television. Every year someone in the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and Sky is deputised to ensure that every broadcast has someone who will affix a poppy to the lapel of every presenter and every guest for at at least two weeks before Remembrance Day. There must be an army of people responsible for this, and I have an image of dancers from eastern Europe on Strictly Come Dancing doing a double-take as this is done without their permission. If the same Stepford behavior were exhibited by RTÉ with regards to any symbol, that would get on my wick too.

A few lads on the panel on Nolan Show last night NOT wearing one! Shock horror....how did they get away with it???
The Aristocrat Years

red hander

Quote from: deiseach on November 06, 2014, 11:34:04 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 06, 2014, 11:17:48 AM
I've seen a German wearing a Poppy.

To be fair, Elizabeth Saxe-Coburg Gotha only ever wears one on remembrance weekend, i.e the correct way, not the way it's shoved down our throats from mid October by all the super Brits

deiseach

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 06, 2014, 02:01:59 PM
A few lads on the panel on Nolan Show last night NOT wearing one! Shock horror....how did they get away with it???

Why do they love the Terrorists and hate Freedom?