Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Maybe I have got this wrong but apart from unionist politicisation and the poppy bullying that goes on in the media etc - is one of the main objections to the Poppy not that the money goes to the British legion which is a charity for British soldiers...including those who committed atrocities like Bloody Sunday over here?

snoopdog

Quote from: JimStynes on November 05, 2014, 08:47:05 PM
Working in an integrated school at the minute and the staff are wearing them. They even have children going around selling them! I have told all the children in my class that they're not allowed them on during the school day and they can only put them when they leave the school. The children don't even know what they are for ffs. They think they're 'little flower things.' I am waiting to be called into the office with complaints made about it but I honestly couldn't give a shit. It's a disgrace that they have any badges or things like poppies in school at all!
no way should they be wearing anything in an integrated school that divides one side from the other. if a few GAA jerseys which aren't political in my opinion or easter lillies were worn they wouldn't be long stopping it,
I have no problem with remembering those who fought and died in the 2 world wars, my grandfather fought in ww1 but I wouldn't wear a poppy even though its a lovely flower

Milltown Row2

Quote from: snoopdog on November 05, 2014, 09:32:32 PM
Working in an integrated school at the minute and the staff are wearing them. They even have children going around selling them! I have told all the children in my class that they're not allowed them on during the school day and they can only put them when they leave the school. The children don't even know what they are for ffs. They think they're 'little flower things.' I am waiting to be called into the office with complaints made about it but I honestly couldn't give a shit. It's a disgrace that they have any badges or things like poppies in school at all!
no way should they be wearing anything in an integrated school that divides one side from the other. if a few GAA jerseys which aren't political in my opinion or easter lillies were worn they wouldn't be long stopping it,
I have no problem with remembering those who fought and died in the 2 world wars, my grandfather fought in ww1 but I wouldn't wear a poppy even though its a lovely flower

That's the problem, its all about opinions, and as they say opinions are like assholes, everyone has one
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

One side doesn't like the other side wearing flowers. One side doesn't like the other side speaking Irish. One side doesn't like that flag. One side wants a flag up. One side doesn't like the other side marching down a road and the other side doesn't like the names of some clubs.

I blame schools and Stephen Nolan.

There are a lot (a feckin lot) of 11-18 year olds who don't like the other side and their emblems or customs but cannot verbalise why.

Also blame Milltown Road and Patrick Kielty and the Hole In The Head Gang.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

armaghniac

The 6 counties is full of pseudo integrated schools.

The broader issue is that this poppy thing has somehow managed to exempt itself from fair employment rules generally and it is one of many things that shows that the 6 counties haven't really changed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Windmill abu

Quote from: ludermor on November 05, 2014, 08:54:32 AM
Quote from: Windmill abu on November 05, 2014, 01:34:40 AM
We live in a world of freedom of information.

Even the ordinary recruit/grunt knows all about war and its risks and consequences.

If you decide that your career path is to go abroad & fight with the indigenous populations of other countries, you should not expect special treatment when you come back. Other people are disabled & mentally ill/traumatised through no fault of their own. Why should people who put themselves in the line of fire deserve special treatment?
Let me get this right, do you believe there is never a case to be had for intervention in other countries wars?

Where did I say that?

My point is that the poppy appeal wants us to give disabled former British servicemen a better class of life than those who have the same disability through their civilian lives.

The poppy appeal also raises money for old & retired servicemen (Chelsea pensioners).

There are retired people from all walks of life (Miners, Nurses, Firemen, Teachers, Police etc,) who have served their country/communities.
Where is the annual appeal for them?
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Windmill abu on November 05, 2014, 11:21:53 PM
Quote from: ludermor on November 05, 2014, 08:54:32 AM
Quote from: Windmill abu on November 05, 2014, 01:34:40 AM
We live in a world of freedom of information.

Even the ordinary recruit/grunt knows all about war and its risks and consequences.

If you decide that your career path is to go abroad & fight with the indigenous populations of other countries, you should not expect special treatment when you come back. Other people are disabled & mentally ill/traumatised through no fault of their own. Why should people who put themselves in the line of fire deserve special treatment?
Let me get this right, do you believe there is never a case to be had for intervention in other countries wars?

Where did I say that?

My point is that the poppy appeal wants us to give disabled former British servicemen a better class of life than those who have the same disability through their civilian lives.

The poppy appeal also raises money for old & retired servicemen (Chelsea pensioners).

There are retired people from all walks of life (Miners, Nurses, Firemen, Teachers, Police etc,) who have served their country/communities.
Where is the annual appeal for them?
Those other people need to get a decent PR company. The British Legion obviously got the right people in.

theticklemister

The poppy is in the middle of the title of the 'Irish World' ( a paper for the irish in Britain)

johnneycool

Quote from: armaghniac on November 05, 2014, 11:12:21 PM

The 6 counties is full of pseudo integrated schools.

The broader issue is that this poppy thing has somehow managed to exempt itself from fair employment rules generally and it is one of many things that shows that the 6 counties haven't really changed.

Has it?

I questioned the wearing of it and even selling of it in a former place of work and was told by HR that people are entitled to wear  it to and from their place of work, but not in it.

Has that changed?

brokencrossbar1

That's a bit much in fairness. My kids go to an integrated school and it has never been an issue. They wear their Crossmaglen gear to PE and there has never been a peep. There are English kids wearing their English gear and there has never been a peep. The headmistress has worn the poppy before but her family fought in the war so it's in remembrance of them.  I have seen a few kids wearing them but only a few, and there's never been an issue. Time to stop driving down people's throats but also we need to be a small bit more accommodating and not get offended so easily

Applesisapples

Quote from: deiseach on November 05, 2014, 09:44:29 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 04, 2014, 08:55:27 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 04, 2014, 10:25:33 AM
My dad asked me the other day whether my son would be found wearing a poppy. I couldn't give him an answer. I know it's important to my wife but . . . I think I'll be kicking that can down the road.
If he is brought up in England then why not? Different here in the north where it is misused by our PUL fellow countrymen.

He is being brought up in Ireland.
That makes it awkward I suppose.

deiseach

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 06, 2014, 10:15:02 AM
Quote from: deiseach on November 05, 2014, 09:44:29 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 04, 2014, 08:55:27 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 04, 2014, 10:25:33 AM
My dad asked me the other day whether my son would be found wearing a poppy. I couldn't give him an answer. I know it's important to my wife but . . . I think I'll be kicking that can down the road.
If he is brought up in England then why not? Different here in the north where it is misused by our PUL fellow countrymen.

He is being brought up in Ireland.
That makes it awkward I suppose.

Awkward is the right word. I don't want to overstate this. Whatever decision we make we're not going to fall out over it. But you have to make a choice. You can't half-wear a symbol.

Applesisapples

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 06, 2014, 09:23:31 AM

That's a bit much in fairness. My kids go to an integrated school and it has never been an issue. They wear their Crossmaglen gear to PE and there has never been a peep. There are English kids wearing their English gear and there has never been a peep. The headmistress has worn the poppy before but her family fought in the war so it's in remembrance of them.  I have seen a few kids wearing them but only a few, and there's never been an issue. Time to stop driving down people's throats but also we need to be a small bit more accommodating and not get offended so easily
A lot of sense there and from a Crossman too, who'd a thought it!! I have no issue whatsoever with the British promoting the poppy. I would say 90% of families on this Island going back over the years would have some connection to the British Army. My own Uncle was killed in WWII. Yes the British Army did some awful things in Ireland over the centuries but war is war, the Irish did some awful things in return. That said the Unionist population here as I stated previously have managed to politicise the poppy over here and that grates on Nationalists including myself. Unfortunately as we can see from their politicians they haven't quite grasped what the word equality means and whilst demanding respect for their own culture they seek to denigrate Irish culture. But do you know what that says more about their mind-set than it does about the rest of us. And not all those who wear the poppy do so to give offence a lot are genuine. I would draw the line at forcing people to wear one, which is prevalent on TV especially here in the north as it is not seen as a neutral symbol. On the other hand many unionists see GAA shirts as not being neutral but we all wear them. Perhaps it is time to live and let live, if we cease being offended then those that wear them out of a wish to annoy will eventually stop. Relationships on these Islands are so intertwined that we need to get along in a respectful manner Unionists like Gregory Campbell will either catch on or be laughed out of town.

Denn Forever

The Poppy is the International symbol of remembrance. Is the problem that they are sold by the British Legion and  it seems to have been hijacked to symbolise all/only British soldiers who have been killed? 

There is nothing to say you can't make your own.  Don't know how old your son is but maybe make it with him and use it as a learning experience.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 06, 2014, 10:47:37 AM
The Poppy is the International symbol of remembrance. Is the problem that they are sold by the British Legion and  it seems to have been hijacked to symbolise all/only British soldiers who have been killed? 

There is nothing to say you can't make your own.  Don't know how old your son is but maybe make it with him and use it as a learning experience.

Maybe the White Poppy can be worn?