Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: deiseach on November 11, 2013, 03:30:47 PM
Maybe he was saying the Angelus and hadn't realised the clocks had changed.

The chances he was saying the Angelus were slim :) Haven't seen too many hop out of their car to say the Angelus either.

Denn Forever

2 minute remembrance/silence at 11 on the 11th of the 11th.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Rossfan

Just for the record I didn't buy/wear one of those things nor did I attend any remembrance ceremony/service nor did I observe any silence etc.
Shame on those Irish people who did.
I wonder when will they apologise to the McAnespie family, the families of the 14 Bloody Sunday victims, New Lodge massacre, Ballymurphy massacre etc etc. Not to mention the relatives of the million Iraquis killed in Bush's immoral "war" for cheap oil or all the poor Afghans or..... and on and on the list goes....
I also wonder when will Robinson and Nesbitt follow their Queen's example and also reciprocate Kenny/Gilmore by laying a wreath at the Garden of Remembrance in honour of our National heroes who fought back against 750 years of foreign imposed terror.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ballinaman

Barman in a pub in Dublin on Friday night was wearing one. I just made a point of not ordering from him, he was perfectly entitled to wear one and I was entitled to ignore him.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Rossfan on November 11, 2013, 05:37:34 PM
Just for the record I didn't buy/wear one of those things nor did I attend any remembrance ceremony/service nor did I observe any silence etc.
I wonder when will they apologise to the McAnespie family, the families of the 14 Bloody Sunday victims, New Lodge massacre, Ballymurphy massacre etc etc. Not to mention the relatives of the million Iraquis killed in Bush's immoral "war" for cheap oil or all the poor Afghans or..... and on and on the list goes....
I also wonder when will Robinson and Nesbitt follow their Queen's example and also reciprocate Kenny/Gilmore by laying a wreath at the Garden of Remembrance in honour of our National heroes who fought back against 750 years of foreign imposed terror.
Truly, we are the most wretched, the most oppressed, the most hard-done by people on the face of God's green earth.

armaghniac

QuoteTruly, we are the most wretched, the most oppressed, the most hard-done by people on the face of God's green earth.

Speak for yourself.

I'm pretty sure Rossfan does not think this, nor anybody else.

However, just because we are not the most oppressed in the world is no reason why we should be oppressed at all. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 11, 2013, 12:34:33 PM
Quote from: OakleafCounty on November 11, 2013, 12:22:09 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 11, 2013, 11:30:17 AM
Sainsburys and Debenhams had 2 minutes silence in all their British Stores (including NI) today at 11.00. I wonder how that went down in West Belfast and Derry. A friend recently mentioned what he called the Britishising of the North All the major retailers branding products with Union flags, hanging them from the ceiling and rolling out point of sale in our "national colours". Then we have Xfactor, Children in need, UK city of Culture etc... So really Peter is right a majority of Catholics want to remain in the UK, we are all British now.

Is the highlighted bit sarcasm? Of course British companies are going to promote British products, it's good business for them.
Not at all it's just highlighting how much we now embrace Britishness and what passes for British culture. The real point I would make is that in NI, British Companies make no allowance or any Irish dimension or sensitivities. I have no issue with British Companies promoting British Products, but can you imagine the outcry if an Irish retailer was to do likewise. Dunnes for example use the slogan in the south "The difference is we're Irish"...up here no mention of it. I suppose as a nationalist I dispair at how readily the nationalist community has embraced Britishness and I think the North is more British now than ever.
What about Sainsbury's and their bi-lingual signage at their West Belfast store?

Myles Na G.

Quote from: armaghniac on November 11, 2013, 06:29:30 PM
QuoteTruly, we are the most wretched, the most oppressed, the most hard-done by people on the face of God's green earth.

Speak for yourself.

I'm pretty sure Rossfan does not think this, nor anybody else.

However, just because we are not the most oppressed in the world is no reason why we should be oppressed at all.
In what way are you oppressed now, in November 2013?

armaghniac

QuoteWhat about Sainsbury's and their bi-lingual signage at their West Belfast store?

One example does not contradict that argument. Why should all NI stores not be like this?

QuoteIn what way are you oppressed now, in November 2013?

Britain's colonisation project in Ireland has been mitigated, not ended.

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on November 11, 2013, 06:48:25 PM
QuoteWhat about Sainsbury's and their bi-lingual signage at their West Belfast store?

One example does not contradict that argument. Why should all NI stores not be like this?
How many indigenous chains do this? Why would you expect a British chain to be more Irish than the Irish chains? Bi-lingual signage in supermarkets isn't the norm in the south, nevermind the north. This was an example of a British chain adapting to the particular location of one of their stores.

Anyway, if enough people really cared about this lack of an "Irish dimension or sensitivities" they'd vote with their feet.

armaghniac

QuoteAnyway, if enough people really cared about this lack of an "Irish dimension or sensitivities" they'd vote with their feet.

What's the alternative? Anyway only Sainsbury's have coffee bags.

stibhan

Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 11, 2013, 06:25:36 PM
Truly, we are the most wretched, the most oppressed, the most hard-done by people on the face of God's green earth.

This is a crude rehashing of the M.O.P.E. syndrome theory posited by Professor Liam Kennedy, who initially posited that Irish people are unable to see their oppression in the wider context of world affairs. Therefore the very fact that Rossfan mentioned the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts renders your basic paraphrasing of the M.O.P.E. argument completely childish and non-applicable.

Myles Na G.

If the British thought they could quit the north of Ireland without too much fuss, they'd be gone in the morning. In fact, they'd have left years ago. Why do you think they're here - for our beautiful, balmy summers and temperate winters? For the fruits of our vibrant economy? The colonisation project finished many many years ago. What is left to clear up is the mess of post colonialism.  But you didn't answer the question. In what way are you oppressed?

muppet

Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 11, 2013, 07:29:42 PM

If the British thought they could quit the north of Ireland without too much fuss, they'd be gone in the morning. In fact, they'd have left years ago. Why do you think they're here - for our beautiful, balmy summers and temperate winters? For the fruits of our vibrant economy? The colonisation project finished many many years ago. What is left to clear up is the mess of post colonialism.  But you didn't answer the question. In what way are you oppressed?

Which, ironically, is what Remembrance Day should be about.
MWWSI 2017

Myles Na G.

Quote from: stibhan on November 11, 2013, 07:15:25 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 11, 2013, 06:25:36 PM

This is a crude rehashing of the M.O.P.E. syndrome theory posited by Professor Liam Kennedy, who initially posited that Irish people are unable to see their oppression in the wider context of world affairs. Therefore the very fact that Rossfan mentioned the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts renders your basic paraphrasing of the M.O.P.E. argument completely childish and non-applicable.
Childish is someone who can 'posit', without a hint of parody,  the theory that he is oppressed because of something that happened 750 years ago.