Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 11, 2013, 11:30:17 AM
Sainsburys and Debenhams had 2 minutes silence in all their British Stores (including NI) today at 11.00. I wonder how that went down in West Belfast and Derry. A friend recently mentioned what he called the Britishising of the North All the major retailers branding products with Union flags, hanging them from the ceiling and rolling out ponit of sale in our "national colours". Then we have Xfactor, Children in need, UK city of Culture etc... So really Peter is right a majority of Catholics want to remain in th UK, we are all British now.

Have you ever tried getting Kerrygold butter or Barry's Tea in Sainsburys. :-\
The Aristocrat Years

Applesisapples

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 11, 2013, 11:37:11 AM
Sainsburys and Debenhams had 2 minutes silence in all their British Stores (including NI) today at 11.00. I wonder how that went down in West Belfast and Derry. A friend recently mentioned what he called the Britishising of the North All the major retailers branding products with Union flags, hanging them from the ceiling and rolling out ponit of sale in our "national colours". Then we have Xfactor, Children in need, UK city of Culture etc... So really Peter is right a majority of Catholics want to remain in th UK, we are all British now.

Have you ever tried getting Kerrygold butter or Barry's Tea in Sainsburys. :-\
They do Kerrygold but not Barry's...go to Dunnes for that.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Sainsburys in Derry closed for refurb. I cant see them participating though. Very few poppies to be seen around Derry. i dont be around the city centre much but the only 2 i seen in the last week both were been worn by elderly men in DL registrations. Probably EDPs

BennyCake

So, Poppy fascism is over for another year. Next up, Children in Need. Like the poppy, it puts pressure on people to participate or give money that they can't afford. I just love November!

OakleafCounty

Quote from: BennyCake on November 11, 2013, 11:43:18 AM
So, Poppy fascism is over for another year. Next up, Children in Need. Like the poppy, it puts pressure on people to participate or give money that they can't afford. I just love November!

Your comparing Children in Need with the Poppy Appeal? Anyone can afford to give a pound or two to children in need, a worthy cause if ever there was one.

OakleafCounty

Is the highlighted bit sarcasm? Of course British companies are going to promote British products, it's good business for them.

Hereiam

Panorama had done an investigation into the money that has been raised by CIN and was to air this year but was pulled, people would think twice about donating to CIN. Basically the BBC were taking the money and putting it in high yield investments before handing it over, and some has never reached some charities. Never gave them a penny.

Applesisapples

Quote from: OakleafCounty on November 11, 2013, 12:22:09 PM
Sainsburys and Debenhams had 2 minutes silence in all their British Stores (including NI) today at 11.00. I wonder how that went down in West Belfast and Derry. A friend recently mentioned what he called the Britishising of the North All the major retailers branding products with Union flags, hanging them from the ceiling and rolling out point of sale in our "national colours". Then we have Xfactor, Children in need, UK city of Culture etc... So really Peter is right a majority of Catholics want to remain in the UK, we are all British now.

Is the highlighted bit sarcasm? Of course British companies are going to promote British products, it's good business for them.
Not at all it's just highlighting how much we now embrace Britishness and what passes for British culture. The real point I would make is that in NI, British Companies make no allowance or any Irish dimension or sensitivities. I have no issue with British Companies promoting British Products, but can you imagine the outcry if an Irish retailer was to do likewise. Dunnes for example use the slogan in the south "The difference is we're Irish"...up here no mention of it. I suppose as a nationalist I dispair at how readily the nationalist community has embraced Britishness and I think the North is more British now than ever.

BennyCake

Quote from: Hereiam on November 11, 2013, 12:29:24 PM
Panorama had done an investigation into the money that has been raised by CIN and was to air this year but was pulled, people would think twice about donating to CIN. Basically the BBC were taking the money and putting it in high yield investments before handing it over, and some has never reached some charities. Never gave them a penny.

Doesn't surprise me. I never give to CIN, Trocaire etc for these very reasons.

BennyCake

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 11, 2013, 12:34:33 PM
Quote from: OakleafCounty on November 11, 2013, 12:22:09 PM
Sainsburys and Debenhams had 2 minutes silence in all their British Stores (including NI) today at 11.00. I wonder how that went down in West Belfast and Derry. A friend recently mentioned what he called the Britishising of the North All the major retailers branding products with Union flags, hanging them from the ceiling and rolling out point of sale in our "national colours". Then we have Xfactor, Children in need, UK city of Culture etc... So really Peter is right a majority of Catholics want to remain in the UK, we are all British now.

Not at all it's just highlighting how much we now embrace Britishness and what passes for British culture. The real point I would make is that in NI, British Companies make no allowance or any Irish dimension or sensitivities. I have no issue with British Companies promoting British Products, but can you imagine the outcry if an Irish retailer was to do likewise. Dunnes for example use the slogan in the south "The difference is we're Irish"...up here no mention of it. I suppose as a nationalist I dispair at how readily the nationalist community has embraced Britishness and I think the North is more British now than ever.

Can you elaborate on this 'britishness'?

deiseach

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 11, 2013, 12:34:33 PM

I seem to recall Heinz didn't show the 'Heinz Builds Brits' ads in the North. Cue the usual stink from the usual suspects about giving in to the IRA etc.

seafoid

It'll be gas when Scotland opts out and Lanigan's ball of Britishness really gets going .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on November 10, 2013, 06:30:04 PM
Quote from: CD on November 10, 2013, 06:05:05 PM
Quote from: CD on November 10, 2013, 03:28:04 PM
Quote from: CD on November 10, 2013, 03:12:58 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 10, 2013, 03:02:31 PM
James McClean dropped and sent home for not wearing one. Anyone else hear that?

He's not in the 18
. . . he just scored a point for Kilcoo!

The real reason why James McClean didn't play today -http://balls.ie/football/james-mcclean-didnt-play-for-wigan-because-he-had-a-dead-leg/

Hopefully that is true.

Whatever about wearing a poppy, anyone should be entitled to not wear one for any reason they choose.

I have my doubts about the "dead leg" story. Hope it's true.

93-DY-SAM

Saw the strangest thing around 11am this morning or at least I thought it was fairly strange.  Man pulled over at the side of the road standing along side his car looking very solemn wearing a massive poppy with his head bowed.  Thought it was an odd thing to do especially at the particular place he chose to stop.

Maybe he was just having a p*ss and couldn't hold it any longer.   

deiseach

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on November 11, 2013, 03:19:11 PM
Saw the strangest thing around 11am this morning or at least I thought it was fairly strange.  Man pulled over at the side of the road standing along side his car looking very solemn wearing a massive poppy with his head bowed.  Thought it was an odd thing to do especially at the particular place he chose to stop.

Maybe he was just having a p*ss and couldn't hold it any longer.

Maybe he was saying the Angelus and hadn't realised the clocks had changed.