Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 05, 2013, 10:21:05 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 05, 2013, 12:55:28 AM
Quote from: Franko on November 05, 2013, 12:13:55 AM
So you're saying that you are happy enough that people from the 6 counties play for the team but not that they support the team?

Those that normally otherwise hate on the Republic no, those that show it respect and recognises it's legitimate and official status yes.
Most Northern Nationalist's have no problem recoginising that part of our country that has achieved freedom, or it's status. They see it as their spirtual home so to speak. In terms of Soccer it is the team that represents their Irish Nationality and Identity best. No Loyalist Ulster Flag or Union Flag or GSTQ. Even if NI was to become a totally neutral Soccer Tem most nationalist would not support them.

I would say exactly that with the addition of the bit in bold.

Applesisapples

Quote from: gallsman on November 05, 2013, 03:37:38 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 05, 2013, 12:24:26 PM
Quote from: gallsman on November 05, 2013, 12:00:36 PM
So you're saying that you are happy enough that people from the 6 counties play for the team but not that they support the team?

Those that normally otherwise hate on the Republic no, those that show it respect and recognises it's legitimate and official status yes.
Most Northern Nationalist's have no problem recoginising that part of our country that has achieved freedom, or it's status. They see it as their spirtual home so to speak. In terms of Soccer it is the team that represents their Irish Nationality and Identity. No Loyalist Ulster Flag or Union Flag or GSTQ. Even if NI was to become a totally neutral Soccer Tem most nationalist would not support them.

Says who?
Says me and a whole lot more...you obviously are not in that category.

Absolutely daft logic those people apply then.
I can't see why it's daft are you saying that most or all nationalists do not view the Irish Soccer team in this way? Those who follow soccer anyway or are you saying that OWC represents their national identity?

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

A true defender of human rights.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

gallsman

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 05, 2013, 04:00:00 PM

Most Northern Nationalist's have no problem recoginising that part of our country that has achieved freedom, or it's status. They see it as their spirtual home so to speak. In terms of Soccer it is the team that represents their Irish Nationality and Identity. No Loyalist Ulster Flag or Union Flag or GSTQ. Even if NI was to become a totally neutral Soccer Tem most nationalist would not support them.

Says who?

I can't see why it's daft are you saying that most or all nationalists do not view the Irish Soccer team in this way? Those who follow soccer anyway or are you saying that OWC represents their national identity?

Where did you pluck that from? I said nothing of the sort and didn't even come close to mentioning the team representing the IFA. Perhaps you're falling into the trap of assuming it's one or the other, when it can also be neither.

I couldn't possibly quantify the number or % of nationalists (from the North) who view the Irish soccer team that way - I neither know nor care. What I think is daft is that people who wish for a 32 county Irish republic (many of whom will accuse others of being "partitionist") can endorse a team that does not represent the 32 counties. Let's not pretend "people from the North" play for Ireland is part of it either - players have come from much further afield so it's hardly an "embracing all-Ireland" approach.

deiseach

Quote from: gallsman on November 05, 2013, 04:26:30 PM
What I think is daft is that people who wish for a 32 county Irish republic (many of whom will accuse others of being "partitionist") can endorse a team that does not represent the 32 counties. Let's not pretend "people from the North" play for Ireland is part of it either - players have come from much further afield so it's hardly an "embracing all-Ireland" approach.

So if you support the Republic of Ireland soccer team, you can't truly want a 32 county Irish republic?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Milltown Row2

The title of the thread is 'Poppy Watch'
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 05, 2013, 04:35:39 PM
The title of the thread is 'Poppy Watch'

The hot boird in Eastenders!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: deiseach on November 05, 2013, 04:33:09 PM
What I think is daft is that people who wish for a 32 county Irish republic (many of whom will accuse others of being "partitionist") can endorse a team that does not represent the 32 counties. Let's not pretend "people from the North" play for Ireland is part of it either - players have come from much further afield so it's hardly an "embracing all-Ireland" approach.

So if you support the Republic of Ireland soccer team, you can't truly want a 32 county Irish republic?

I want a 34 county Ireland, time to take back the Isle of Man and Iona.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 05, 2013, 04:00:00 PM

Says who?

Where did you pluck that from? I said nothing of the sort and didn't even come close to mentioning the team representing the IFA. Perhaps you're falling into the trap of assuming it's one or the other, when it can also be neither.

I couldn't possibly quantify the number or % of nationalists (from the North) who view the Irish soccer team that way - I neither know nor care. What I think is daft is that people who wish for a 32 county Irish republic (many of whom will accuse others of being "partitionist") can endorse a team that does not represent the 32 counties. Let's not pretend "people from the North" play for Ireland is part of it either - players have come from much further afield so it's hardly an "embracing all-Ireland" approach.
I think your logic is the flawed one.

gallsman

Put it like this - I find it easier to understand someone from Waterford supporting the Republic of Ireland soccer team as Waterford is covered by the FAI's jurisdiction than I do someone from a nationalist or repuclican background in Belfast. I do not accept that the ROI "better reflects their idea of nationality" or any such similar sentiments as, by definition, it doesn't.

And contrary to what other may try to infer, this is not the same as advocating anyone from a nationalist or republican background in the North supports the OWC team.

For once, George Best had the right idea. Unfortunately, it won't happen.

deiseach

Quote from: gallsman on November 05, 2013, 05:12:14 PM
Put it like this - I find it easier to understand someone from Waterford supporting the Republic of Ireland soccer team as Waterford is covered by the FAI's jurisdiction than I do someone from a nationalist or repuclican background in Belfast. I do not accept that the ROI "better reflects their idea of nationality" or any such similar sentiments as, by definition, it doesn't.

And contrary to what other may try to infer, this is not the same as advocating anyone from a nationalist or republican background in the North supports the OWC team.

For once, George Best had the right idea. Unfortunately, it won't happen.

That's all fair enough, but it's not the same thing as saying that someone from the North who can see a way to support the Republic can only do so by employing 'absolutely daft logic'.

Rossfan

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 05, 2013, 04:40:09 PM

I want a 34 county Ireland, time to take back the Isle of Man and Iona.
I'd prefer a 31 County Ireland ( guess which one I want rid of  ;D)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

leave mayo along, surely u get rid of tyrone first lol, well with Derry City playing in the FAI league and a few Derry men playing with them, that's all i need to claim allegiance to the Irish team, sure its more than big Tony had!!