Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

went with a few mates to ypres a month ago
whatever your view a lot of young guys died
was brought to where the irish 6th charged and were killed
went to where  willy Redmond was buried( john redmonds brother) his family refused consent for him to be buried in a commonwealth grave

don't have an issue with poppies

Applesisapples

Mark Sidebottom wasn't wearing one on Wednesday, but Stephen OWC Watson had a nice sparkly broach version...no oul paper one there. I've no real issue with the poppy except where people use it to make a political statement. Funny to see the two Spaniards on Revista La Liga wearing them though.

muppet

If you are bothered by a particular group wearing something, naming something, flying something etc in memory of someone who died fighting someone else. Then fair enough. 

But when those people point at you wearing something, naming something, flying something in memory of someone else who died fighting someone, and call you a hypocrite, then they have a point. But of course they are then hypocrites themselves.

However name calling is one thing, bringing Belfast and elsewhere to a standstill while having disorderly marches followed by days of rioting is a different thing altogether.

MWWSI 2017

Aristo 60

red hander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 31, 2013, 11:00:57 PM
Quote from: The Worker on October 31, 2013, 10:57:52 PM
Why do they wear poppies in October?

Who really gives a fcuk? seriously this thread is stupid. Just over half will wear one and the other half won't

MOVE ON, NOTHING TO SEE HERE

Yeah, but the problem is, the half who wear them also question why the half who don't wear them aren't wearing them, and you don't seem to get too annoyed about that. There's also the fact that almost anyone appearing on British TV around this time of year are basically forced to wear them whether they want to or not, which is pretty ironic as that's a form of fascism, which the great poppy champions tell us is what these brave British warriors fought against, which is even more ironic as the British behaved like complete fascists in large parts of their empire ... besides, if you don't give a fcuk, why are you even engaging in the thread?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: theticklemister on November 01, 2013, 07:24:49 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 01, 2013, 12:15:07 AM
Why do they need to wear them for more than the actual day, whenever that is. Begining to see them in England now. Always found them ugly yokes.
w.

You would not have expected that

Huh! What ya mean by that?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

qubdub

I suppose it comes down to bbc policy and whether they force employees to wear them, or act favourably towards those that do. It's like that oul Londonderry shite, I listened to radio ulster every morning/evening this week, londonderry everytime. I don't mind if that's that individual's preference but I just get the impression that they aren't being given the choice to use it's proper name. It's the same with the poppy. It's as if the employees aren't given a choice, and if they are that they feel obliged to wear it even if they don't want to. Which frankly is a pile of shite.

Dougal Maguire

If they are made to wear them surely that goes against the very thing that those who fought in the wars were fighting for - freedom of choice
Careful now

muppet

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 01, 2013, 06:18:23 PM
If they are made to wear them surely that goes against the very thing that those who fought in the wars were fighting for - freedom of choice

Those who fought in the war included people who had no choice. If they fought for freedom of choice in WWI then they must have been pissed off when it was re-introduced in 1939.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_the_United_Kingdom
MWWSI 2017

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

theticklemister

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 01, 2013, 05:33:28 PM
Why do they need to wear them for more than the actual day, whenever that is. Begining to see them in England now. Always found them ugly yokes.
w.

English people wearing poppies? surly not!!!
Quote from: qubdub on November 01, 2013, 06:06:48 PM
I suppose it comes down to bbc policy and whether they force employees to wear them, or act favourably towards those that do. It's like that oul Londonderry shite, I listened to radio ulster every morning/evening this week, londonderry everytime. I don't mind if that's that individual's preference but I just get the impression that they aren't being given the choice to use it's proper name. It's the same with the poppy. It's as if the employees aren't given a choice, and if they are that they feel obliged to wear it even if they don't want to. Which frankly is a pile of shite.

The new vogue is Derry/Londonderry.....................................

now the trick is when saying Derry/Londonderry is as follows:

1. There are 3 syllables; Derry=1, Londonderry=2
2. It has to be said in the space 0.3 seconds. If not done within this time scale then they know you really don't believe in it.
3. This phase will be welcomed in all parts of Ireland, yes all parts.
4. Try and get the phrase, Derry/Londonderry in as many times into a conversation.
5. Use as often as possible in Nationalist areas so it will soon be accepted by everyone.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: theticklemister on November 01, 2013, 08:38:30 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 01, 2013, 05:33:28 PM
w.

English people wearing poppies? surly not!!!

The new vogue is Derry/Londonderry.....................................

now the trick is when saying Derry/Londonderry is as follows:

1. There are 3 syllables; Derry=1, Londonderry=2
2. It has to be said in the space 0.3 seconds. If not done within this time scale then they know you really don't believe in it.
3. This phase will be welcomed in all parts of Ireland, yes all parts.
4. Try and get the phrase, Derry/Londonderry in as many times into a conversation.
5. Use as often as possible in Nationalist areas so it will soon be accepted by everyone.

I meant now as in something like a fortnight early, maybe earlier.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Syferus

There's a poppy growing in the gravel in front of t'house.

Maguire01

It's like that oul Londonderry shite, I listened to radio ulster every morning/evening this week, londonderry everytime. I don't mind if that's that individual's preference but I just get the impression that they aren't being given the choice to use it's proper name.

QuoteThe BBC's policy is to refer it as Londonderry the first time it is mentioned and Derry the second. This is not an iron rule, since it is affected by the context. If they were interviewing, for example, a Catholic athlete or performer who hailed from the city, they might out of courtesy describe his home town as Derry, since that would be how he would know it
http://www.cooperationireland.org/files/StyleProtocolGuide.pdf#page=7