Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: charlieTully on November 14, 2012, 02:50:11 PM
good column from Allison Morris in today's Irish News in regards to poppy fascism.

Yes, just read it. Good article indeed.

magpie seanie

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 12, 2012, 11:32:19 AM
Fair play to James mcclean for standing up for what he believes.
asking someone from the creggan to wear a symbol supporting the british army is like asking some one from liverpool to wear a symbol supporting west midlands police.
I couldnt see the same outcry if that was refused

Only heard about the James McClean situation there now and his post sums it up perfectly.

Can anyone tell me did Aguero or Tevez wear one?

ballinaman

Yep and Zabaleta

Denn Forever

Is there a recognised symbol that could be worn in thanks to the Allied forces that beat Hitler?  I think most people are thankful for that. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

magpie seanie

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 19, 2012, 05:04:27 PM
Is there a recognised symbol that could be worn in thanks to the Allied forces that beat Hitler?  I think most people are thankful for that.

Yes but clearly the poppy isn't that.

deiseach

A recognised symbol that will give thanks to the Red Army? Good luck with that.

Hardy

I know - some will say the Germans won in the end anyway, but the Europe represented by this flag is somewhat different to what it would be under the swastika.

AQMP

Quote from: Hardy on November 19, 2012, 05:50:40 PM

I know - some will say the Germans won in the end anyway, but the Europe represented by this flag is somewhat different to what it would be under the swastika.

This is true, so it makes you wonder why the British appear to be so suspicious and sceptical about it?

AQMP

Quote from: deiseach on November 19, 2012, 05:25:08 PM

I know...a red flower to represent the USSR with a black centre to represent Prods.

I'm going home now...

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: AQMP on November 19, 2012, 06:32:14 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 19, 2012, 05:50:40 PM

This is true, so it makes you wonder why the British appear to be so suspicious and sceptical about it?

I seem to remember a few years back the DUP sort and some other North European Germanic Protestant right wing groups suggesting that the 12 stars was a "Roman Catholic Symbol", others that it was a Communist Organisation, you know those RC Communists and their European Union eh  ::)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

I think the European Union flag is a great symbol to wear, I might cover myself head to toe in it next Poppy Day.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

red hander

Quote from: deiseach on November 19, 2012, 05:25:08 PM

Indeed. The British are always bumming and blowing about how they won the war, which is strange considering 9 out of 10 Germans killed in WWII died on the Eastern Front at the hands of the glorious Red Army.

AZOffaly

I don't think the Brits are always blowing about winning WWII. I think their take on WWII was that it was a gloriously defiant stand against a very powerful enemy. I think the Brits can probably justifiably say they won the war in Africa, but I find it's the Americans who think they won WWII. I think it's just lucky that Hitler attacked Russia when he did. If he hadn't opened up a second front in Europe then, Britain and the other Allies were in big trouble.

dillinger

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 19, 2012, 07:38:48 PM
I don't think the Brits are always blowing about winning WWII. I think their take on WWII was that it was a gloriously defiant stand against a very powerful enemy. I think the Brits can probably justifiably say they won the war in Africa, but I find it's the Americans who think they won WWII. I think it's just lucky that Hitler attacked Russia when he did. If he hadn't opened up a second front in Europe then, Britain and the other Allies were in big trouble.

Indeed.

The U.K. and Ireland would have been facked if Germany had not invaded Russia.

deiseach

Quote from: dillinger on November 19, 2012, 09:22:13 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 19, 2012, 07:38:48 PM

Indeed.

The U.K. and Ireland would have been facked if Germany had not invaded Russia.

The raison d'etre of Nazism was to create lebensraum in the east. If Germany had not been of the mind to invade the Soviet Union, they wouldn't invaded anyone else either.