Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

British Imperalism, just stick a Poppy on it and pretend the rest of the World are the bad guys. Funny coming from the largest Imperial Empire in the history of mankind.

Why are Unionists not embarrassed of 95% of their history. Any rational mind would be.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

camanchero

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 13, 2012, 02:19:59 PM
British Imperalism, just stick a Poppy on it and pretend the rest of the World are the bad guys. Funny coming from the largest Imperial Empire in the history of mankind.

Why are Unionists not embarrassed of 95% of their history. Any rational mind would be.
not embarrassed as it seems that you (and me apparantly) are 'making it all up' about any 'bad' thing that unionist/loyalists have done.

what a simpleton. trying to tell people what they have seen and what they didnt see.
Telling people that poppy wearers didnt do it as a 'badge' (as it inconveniently masks that ordinary peopl ein England, Scotland and Wales didnt wear them).

I only recall a handful of people wearing poppies - a firends grandfather who fought in WW2 for example - but back across the water on the Irish mainland, in the six counties there were more on show than in flanders I think !!
:D

Applesisapples

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 13, 2012, 11:17:15 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 13, 2012, 10:44:50 AM
Quote from: michaelg on November 12, 2012, 09:42:51 PM
Again and again in this thread, there is the belief that Unionists only wear poppies and attend remembrance services to antagonize Nationalists / Republicans.  As someone from a Unionist background, it is my opinion that this is not the case.
Not all but some certainly do, a bit like some of those wearing shamrock on Paddy's Day.
Some may do, but you cannot make your assertion with certainty unless you've actually asked them what their motives are.

But if the IFA is serious about making soccer more welcoming to nationalists they would avoid having silences etc at Irish League games for politically divisive events.
First of all, the IFA issued no instruction to clubs as to what they may or may not do regarding this matter.
Second, Cliftonville FC chose voluntarily to mark the minutes silence.
They could have decided not to, had they wished.
If you think it was inappropriate, you should direct your criticism to that club.
What position do you hold in the IFA?

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Leo on November 12, 2012, 10:56:16 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on November 12, 2012, 07:15:35 PM
Quote from: gallsman on November 12, 2012, 07:00:29 PM
The war memorial belongs to all, Catholics and Protestants alike blah blah blah. That's one of the arguments I've seen bandied about the most this weekend - Catholics and Irish nationalists died fighting in France, therefore people of a particular persuasion should "show respect". All well and good. Still don't see how any of that should be used as evidence a young Catholic, nationalist man from Derry should ever be criticised for choosing to not wear a poppy.
Of course there are very understandable reasons why "a young Catholic nationalist man from Derry" [sic] should not wish to wear a Poppy (though I fail to see why age, religion or gender should come into it).

But there are also reasons why a Derry Nationalist might not automatically be averse to the idea (whether he/she actually wears one or not). And one of these is that, contrary to popular understanding (myth even),  the tradition of Derry people serving in the British Armed Forces has never been confined solely to the Unionist tradition.

And since Derry's War Dead came from all parts and traditions of the city, all of its people should be equally permitted to mark, or not mark, Remembrance Sunday entirely as they wish.

Or do you not agree?

You know what, if a young nationalist from Derry choses to earn his (overpaid) living at the expense of British soccer supporters he might consider having some respect for how they feel. The nationalist bigotry and ignorance about remembrance day and how it symbolises OUR freedom is staggering.
Bullshit.

GAA_Talk

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 13, 2012, 04:34:26 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on November 13, 2012, 11:17:15 AM
Quote from: michaelg on November 12, 2012, 09:42:51 PM
Again and again in this thread, there is the belief that Unionists only wear poppies and attend remembrance services to antagonize Nationalists / Republicans.  As someone from a Unionist background, it is my opinion that this is not the case.
Not all but some certainly do, a bit like some of those wearing shamrock on Paddy's Day.
Some may do, but you cannot make your assertion with certainty unless you've actually asked them what their motives are.

But if the IFA is serious about making soccer more welcoming to nationalists they would avoid having silences etc at Irish League games for politically divisive events.
First of all, the IFA issued no instruction to clubs as to what they may or may not do regarding this matter.
Second, Cliftonville FC chose voluntarily to mark the minutes silence.
They could have decided not to, had they wished.
If you think it was inappropriate, you should direct your criticism to that club.
What position do you hold in the IFA?

:)

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 13, 2012, 10:34:08 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 12, 2012, 11:13:17 PMYou have NO RIGHT TO FORCE YOUR SYMBOLS down our necks. The Poppy no matter how the sheeple of the island of Britain and its colonial offspring like to paint it, the Poppy is British Nationalism and the Poppy Appeal is simply Marshial Societal conditioning. I don't seem to see the Republic of Ireland's biggest foregin resident ethnic group the British being FORCED to wear Easter Lillys, to fly the Irish tricolour above their places of residence and work, to Sycophantic lick the arsehole of our Head of State.
Says the man who reckons it's "Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life"   ;)

You know, for all that this is a serious topic, of all the posters on this thread, you're the one who makes me laugh out loud, as I imagine you coughing and spluttering your way through November, outraged, nay OUTRAGED, at the sight of the invidious paper flower in people's lapels!

But I do have one query. Heretofore, I have only pushed Poppies down peoples throats. How do I get them down their neck? Does it require a degree of cooperation on behalf of the poor victim, or is there some knack to getting it past the gullet?

Finally, seeing as you're a proud Fine Gael man, would it suit you better (and spare your blood pressure), if I were to sport a Laurel Leaf instead?

Taoiseach Enda Kenny lays a wreath at the war memorial in Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh, on Remembrance Day

The Tanaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade, Mr Eamon Gilmore TD, lays a wreath at the Cenotaph in Belfast, at the national day of remembrance.

Have I not already mentioned our Taoiseach and the fact that he nor Irish army officers wore the Poppy. Your just proving my point. I have no problem with the minutes silence. My issue is with the poppy and its association with the war machine that is the British Army.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

I was thinking about it and now I think I understand the British/Unionist thought process, Irish players in Britain should wear the Poppy and British footballers should respect German customs in Germany.

charlieTully

Godwin strikes again.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: charlieTully on November 13, 2012, 11:57:17 PM
Godwin strikes again.

Godwins law does not say that a reference may not be appropriate, this is a reference of comparing two symbols and two football matches.

charlieTully

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 14, 2012, 12:04:08 AM
Quote from: charlieTully on November 13, 2012, 11:57:17 PM
Godwin strikes again.

Godwins law does not say that a reference may not be appropriate, this is a reference of comparing two symbols and two football matches.

i find it impossible not to think of it when discussing matters pertaining to the brits. seems so apt at times.

charlieTully

but surely you are not saying it is a German custom to give nazi salutes now?

charlieTully

good column from Allison Morris in today's Irish News in regards to poppy fascism.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: red hander on November 12, 2012, 09:30:49 PM
Don't remember many members of the occupation forces here sent back to Blighty in a box getting the full Wootten Bassett treatment, either ... it's all part of a push by the British establishment to get the population behind the military so less of them will question their illegal presence in Iraq and their totally futile presence in Afghanistan

That's certainly a big part of it.

Ostensibly worn to 'honour those who fought for freedom' (sic), but woe betide the individual who chooses to exercise their own personal freedom and decides not to wear one. No one does hypocrisy like the the British establishment does hypocrisy.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

stew

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 13, 2012, 11:08:59 PM
I was thinking about it and now I think I understand the British/Unionist thought process, Irish players in Britain should wear the Poppy and British footballers should respect German customs in Germany.

Says it all really!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

spuds

Quote from: stew on November 14, 2012, 09:26:00 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 13, 2012, 11:08:59 PM

Says it all really!
Tony Adams' testimonial ?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard