Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Premier Emperor

Quote from: Minder on November 11, 2012, 11:11:12 PM
According to today's Sunday Times, speaking about a shift in Irish attitudes towards the poppy -

In 2001, the Royal British Legion raised €47,500 from its poppy appeal.

Last year the Irish poppy appeal raised €245,937.
No wonder the country is bankrupt!

Aaron Boone

Quote from: comethekingdom on November 11, 2012, 10:34:36 PM
Seen a nun at mass this morning wearing one !!
I saw a Nigerian lad wearing one in Parnell Sq today.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Premier Emperor on November 11, 2012, 11:27:40 PM
Quote from: Minder on November 11, 2012, 11:11:12 PM
According to today's Sunday Times, speaking about a shift in Irish attitudes towards the poppy -

In 2001, the Royal British Legion raised €47,500 from its poppy appeal.

Last year the Irish poppy appeal raised €245,937.
No wonder the country is bankrupt!
Morally and/or financially?!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Bit of a politicaly loaded sign off by Colin Murray there on Match of the Day 2  ::)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 11, 2012, 10:41:29 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on November 11, 2012, 10:37:02 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 11, 2012, 08:15:58 PM
I don't think ireland is the only country to be rubbed up the wrong way by England! did tevez or aguero wear one yesterday? (with the falklands war in recent memory) did any germans playing in the league at the weekend wear one?? should they not be offended to,as Germany fought against the British in WW2,or do they respect the team they are been paid to play for, in an ENGLISH country! Should Footballer supporters take offence at Germans wearing one, after all, their forefathers where responsible for putting half the british soldiers in their graves to start with. J McClean can make a decision not to wear one if he wants, but if germans footballers(and i dont know if they did wear a poppy on their jersey or not) can wear one, then it looks strange that players from other countries playing in england would not wear one when they are getting paid to represent that english club.
Argies x 3 for Man City had them on today.

Typical- thats the kind of attitude that lost them the Falklands War ;)

At least the Argies won the first 2 of the 3 wars they had with the Brits and they had to hand of god!!! on their side too.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

theticklemister

I don't think ireland is the only country to be rubbed up the wrong way by England! did tevez or aguero wear one yesterday? (with the falklands war in recent memory) did any germans playing in the league at the weekend wear one?? should they not be offended to,as Germany fought against the British in WW2,or do they respect the team they are been paid to play for, in an ENGLISH country! Should Footballer supporters take offence at Germans wearing one, after all, their forefathers where responsible for putting half the british soldiers in their graves to start with. J McClean can make a decision not to wear one if he wants, but if germans footballers(and i dont know if they did wear a poppy on their jersey or not) can wear one, then it looks strange that players from other countries playing in england would not wear one when they are getting paid to represent that english club.

Maybe because the land that we live in is still occupied by this country.

tyrone exile

Quote from: theticklemister on November 12, 2012, 12:07:18 AM

Or that 6 people from the estate in which he grew up in were murdered by so called "heroes" on Bloody Sunday, Can you imagine trying to go home to the creggan and justify wearing a poppy. I respect peoples opinions for wearing a poppy, however it doesn't seem like a two way street.

Rav67

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 11, 2012, 11:40:10 PM
Bit of a politicaly loaded sign off by Colin Murray there on Match of the Day 2  ::)

Quite, what an absolute bell-end.  I thought MOTD2 is supposed to be a light-hearted show, really no call for that.  Snide thinly veiled comments like Murray's will legitimise and exacerbate the abuse that McClean is already getting.

bridgegael

"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

dillinger

[/quote]

Oh that's so last century!

AQMP

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 11, 2012, 11:40:10 PM

What did he say?

Denn Forever

More WTF really but does anyone else find this frightening?  I assume the Easter Lily will be sacrosanct come 2016.

Canterbury man arrested over burning poppy image. A man has been arrested after an image of a burning poppy and obscenities were posted on a social networking site.

The 19-year-old, from Canterbury, was detained on Sunday night on suspicion of making malicious telecommunications.

Kent Police said he was arrested at about 20:45 GMT and would be interviewed by officers on Monday.

On Sunday, the UK observed a two-minute silence to remember members of the British and Commonwealth's armed forces who have died during conflicts.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

glens abu

James McClean tweeted "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter"MLK. Good man James.

Bord na Mona man

Hardy

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 12, 2012, 11:04:15 AM
More WTF really but does anyone else find this frightening?  I assume the Easter Lily will be sacrosanct come 2016.

Canterbury man arrested over burning poppy image. A man has been arrested after an image of a burning poppy and obscenities were posted on a social networking site.

The 19-year-old, from Canterbury, was detained on Sunday night on suspicion of making malicious telecommunications.

Kent Police said he was arrested at about 20:45 GMT and would be interviewed by officers on Monday.

On Sunday, the UK observed a two-minute silence to remember members of the British and Commonwealth's armed forces who have died during conflicts.

Here's a similar case. What law prohibits burning poppies or choosing the clothes you wear in public?