Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: SHEEDY on November 10, 2012, 09:33:27 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on November 10, 2012, 09:04:23 PM
john o'shea didnt wear one either. fair play to them. dont blame any irish player in england that did but good to see a few not just following the crowd.
o'shea did wear his poppy shirt in the 1st half. changed his jersey at half time to a non poppy one.

Considering O'Shea didn't work up a bead of sweat and his shirt was in pristine ironed shape at the end of the 1st half, I take his decision to change his shirt to a non-poppy one, as a conscious objection  :)

BennyCake

So did James McClean wear a non-poppy shirt yesterday?

It's disgusting footballers are made to wear one on their shirts. Or anyone for that matter.

thewobbler

Quote from: Rossfan on November 10, 2012, 09:24:20 PM
Quote from: gerry on November 10, 2012, 08:45:22 PM
McClean refuses to wear poppy on eve of Remembrance Sunday as Sunderland suffer defeat

fair play to him for making a stand

+ 1.
Time for Irish people everywhere to follow his great example and stop toadying.

No actually it's time for Irish people everywhere to stop making such a big deal out of nothing. The poppy symbol can only offend you if you try really hard to let it do so.

We are going to have a very interesting year in 2016 in Ireland. I've a strong suspicion that those who get most offends by the poppy will also be those forcing and demanding Irish symbolism down our throats then.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: dillinger on November 11, 2012, 02:06:04 AM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on November 11, 2012, 12:40:51 AM
The poppy has descended into what is part of a wider propaganda tool for the UK government to increase support for their war machine.

Of course the UK is cutting their defence budget. ;)
Did I miss something were the troops withdrawn last night? Or else there's that arms deal last week with the Saudis.

red hander

Good lad, James McClean

Rossfan

At least Kenny and Gilbore didn't wear the offending flower when they paid their homage to British soldiers.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

I don't think ireland is the only country to be rubbed up the wrong way by England! did tevez or aguero wear one yesterday? (with the falklands war in recent memory) did any germans playing in the league at the weekend wear one?? should they not be offended to,as Germany fought against the British in WW2,or do they respect the team they are been paid to play for, in an ENGLISH country! Should Footballer supporters take offence at Germans wearing one, after all, their forefathers where responsible for putting half the british soldiers in their graves to start with. J McClean can make a decision not to wear one if he wants, but if germans footballers(and i dont know if they did wear a poppy on their jersey or not) can wear one, then it looks strange that players from other countries playing in england would not wear one when they are getting paid to represent that english club.

charlieTully

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 11, 2012, 08:15:58 PM
I don't think ireland is the only country to be rubbed up the wrong way by England! did tevez or aguero wear one yesterday? (with the falklands war in recent memory) did any germans playing in the league at the weekend wear one?? should they not be offended to,as Germany fought against the British in WW2,or do they respect the team they are been paid to play for, in an ENGLISH country! Should Footballer supporters take offence at Germans wearing one, after all, their forefathers where responsible for putting half the british soldiers in their graves to start with. J McClean can make a decision not to wear one if he wants, but if germans footballers(and i dont know if they did wear a poppy on their jersey or not) can wear one, then it looks strange that players from other countries playing in england would not wear one when they are getting paid to represent that english club.

James McClean.. take a bow son take a bow. Tevez and Aguero, the ultimate examples of integrity. great example there. i feel really guilty now myself that i dint wear the poppy. wouldn't even wipe the pipe With one.

Rossfan

Feighan and a gang of clowns were going round Boyle today wearing the offending flowers in memory of the "Connaught Rangers" Regiment.
Could they not simply remember the facts without having to give money to the "Royal British Legion".
Anyway the official State remembrance for  ALL Irish people who died in foreign wars/armies is held in July so again why the need to propogate a British ceremony in the 26 Cos?.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on November 11, 2012, 09:11:56 PM
Feighan and a gang of clowns were going round Boyle today wearing the offending flowers in memory of the "Connaught Rangers" Regiment.
Could they not simply remember the facts without having to give money to the "Royal British Legion".
Anyway the official State remembrance for  ALL Irish people who died in foreign wars/armies is held in July so again why the need to propogate a British ceremony in the 26 Cos?.

Typical FG w**ker, country goin down the tube and he is going around looking for attention with his gang of inbreds in Boyle.

comethekingdom

Seen a nun at mass this morning wearing one !!

ballinaman

Argies x 3 for Man City had them on today.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: ballinaman on November 11, 2012, 10:37:02 PM
Argies x 3 for Man City had them on today.

Typical- thats the kind of attitude that lost them the Falklands War ;)

Minder

According to today's Sunday Times, speaking about a shift in Irish attitudes towards the poppy -

In 2001, the Royal British Legion raised €47,500 from its poppy appeal.

Last year the Irish poppy appeal raised €245,937.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"