Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Feigan should be commended, you Mexicans are going to have to get used to shit like this for when a United Ireland does eventually come along. 

armaghniac

QuoteCan someone ask Frank Feighan why the Germans do not wear poppies?

Not only do the Germans not wear poppies, but the Belgians, French, Austrians, Czech, Slovaks, Slovenes, Poles, Ukrainians, Russians, Latvians, Lithuanians, Estonians, Turks, Italians, Hungarians, Serbs or even the Bulgarians do not either. But as always Ireland has to be different by not wearing one!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 05, 2012, 07:30:52 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 05, 2012, 11:01:39 AM
One less candidate for me to give a preference to in the next election  >:(

A Shannonside Fine Gael TD says the country needs to show solidarity with the Irishmen who fought in World War One.

Frank Feighan will this week become the first TD to wear the poppy in the Dáil for 16 years.

More than 200 thousand Irish men are thought to have fought in the British army in the First World War, with tens of thousands more enlisting in the second.

Roscommon South Leitrim's Frank Feighan says wearing the poppy is often seen as a very British symbol, but he thinks it's time to move on.

Roscommon hospital mustn't mean THAT much to you then. Afterall he voted for it's closure/downgrading at the time etc. In response to mghu's assertion, the Oireachtas sees no problem with him wearing it...

Is that a myth Farrandeelin about symbols being barred from chambers of the Oireachtas?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

laoislad

Roy Keane wearing it loud and proud on ITV tonight.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

theticklemister

Quote from: laoislad on November 06, 2012, 07:41:42 PM

Tomas Mac Curtain would be raging ::) ::) ::) ::)

armaghniac

QuoteRoy Keane wearing it loud and proud on ITV tonight.

Roy is not the type to cause a fuss.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

stew

Quote from: armaghniac on November 06, 2012, 08:35:33 PM
QuoteRoy Keane wearing it loud and proud on ITV tonight.

Roy is not the type to cause a fuss.

Not that I care but this seems to go against type does it not???

It's a feckin poppy, who cares?

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

camanchero

A Shannonside Fine Gael TD says the country needs to show solidarity with the Irishmen who fought in World War One.

Frank Feighan will this week become the first TD to wear the poppy in the Dáil for 16 years.

More than 200 thousand Irish men are thought to have fought in the British army in the First World War, with tens of thousands more enlisting in the second.

Roscommon South Leitrim's Frank Feighan says wearing the poppy is often seen as a very British symbol, but he thinks it's time to move on.
not the first mayoman to wear a poppy in th dail.
I think Emmett Stagg did a number of years ago among a few others who decided to do it at that time.
I also think that I heard that symbols were banned from Dail etc , but in true Irish fashion, laws are never policed or enforced.

Nally Stand

Party symbols are banned, anything else is allowed.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

AQMP

Like most other recent years poppies are pretty much few and far between in Enniskillen, though there is a ceremony to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the bomb tomorrow, so I'd expect to see the number increase significantly.

Applesisapples

This boy Feighan wearing a poppy in the Dail is aimed at one thing only...raising his profile and is disrespectful to the very emblem he espouses.

theticklemister

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 07, 2012, 03:23:51 PM
This boy Feighan wearing a poppy in the Dail is aimed at one thing only...raising his profile and is disrespectful to the very emblem he espouses.

Im sure theyll be raging in london

Rossfan

Quote from: camanchero on November 07, 2012, 09:59:03 AM

not the first mayoman to wear a poppy in th dail.

I wish he was a fcukin rhubarb after this  >:(

I presume the fact that South Leitrim won't be in with ros next time around partly influenced him with this nonsense.

If he for whatever reason thinks by wearing the British poppy (which of course is for all their ex sevicemen) is to honour those Irish people (Volunteers all - not conscripts like the Brits) who died in WW1 then why can't he do it at some of those "Royal British Legion" ( God bless the mark!) thingys and not to be inflicting that disgusting symbol on our National Parliament.

Of course he might get no notice then  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Evil Genius

Perhaps he was paying tribute to an earlier Captain of Man U and ROI, the great Johnny Carey?

You know, the same Johnny Carey who thought it fitting that he should volunteer for the British Army in WWII, in return for all that Britain had done for him.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

theticklemister

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 07, 2012, 06:02:38 PM
Perhaps he was paying tribute to an earlier Captain of Man U and ROI, the great Johnny Carey?

You know, the same Johnny Carey who thought it fitting that he should volunteer for the British Army in WWII, in return for all that Britain had done for him.

There are a few disillusional people about I tell ye.

EG at least ye have not used an * in this post. I was dreading seeing it.

EG are ye part of a GAA club?