Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 31, 2012, 10:12:42 PM
See poppies been wore at work and sold in at work, personally it never bothered me. maybe the fact that it was highjacked for the British military conflicts, in recent years is strange as it was originated to provide funds for World War open Veterans. Now any conflict involving England now and in the past seemed to be remembered on remembrance day instead of WW1 as it was to be intended
Yes [bold], though it wasn't originally a British idea:

Where did the idea to sell poppies come from?

The first official poppy appeal was held 85 years ago in the UK. But when - and why - was the first poppy sold?

The red poppy worn around the world in remembrance of battlefield deaths has nothing to do with the blood shed in the brutal clashes of World War I.

Instead it symbolises the wild flowers that were the first plants to grow in the churned-up soil of soldiers' graves in Belgium and northern France. Little else could grow in the blasted soil that became rich in lime from the rubble.

Their paper-thin red petals were the first signs of life and renewal, and in 1915 inspired Canadian doctor John McCrae to pen perhaps the most famous wartime poem:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row...

It was this poem which inspired an American war secretary to sell the first poppies to raise money for ex-soldiers.

Two days before the Armistice was declared at 11am on 11 November 1918, Moina Michael was working in the YMCA Overseas War Secretaries' headquarters during its annual conference in New York.

While flipping through a copy of Ladies Home Journal, she came across McCrae's poem, and was so moved that she vowed to always wear a red poppy in remembrance.

That same day she was given $10 by the conference delegates in thanks for her hard work, which she spent on 25 silk poppies. Returning to the office with one pinned to her coat, she distributed the rest amongst the delegates.

Since this group had given her the money with which to buy the flowers, Ms Michael saw this as the first sale of memorial poppies. She then threw her efforts into campaigning to get the poppy adopted as a national remembrance symbol.

Two years later, the National American Legion's conference proclaimed the poppy as such. Among those at the conference was Madame E Guerin, from France, who saw poppy sales as a way to raise money for children in war-ravaged areas of France.

Having organised the sale of millions of poppies made by French widows in the United States, in 1921 she sent her poppy sellers to London.

Field Marshall Douglas Haig, a senior commander during WWI and a founder of the Royal British Legion, was sold on the idea (as were veterans' groups in Canada, Australia and New Zealand).

So that autumn, the newly-established legion sold its first remembrance poppies. And so the tradition began.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6133312.stm

Anyhow, why is it remarkable, much less objectionable, that a scheme to raise money for the wounded and bereaved of one war, should then be extended to do the same for those suffering in subsequent wars?

I can see how someone might be troubled by such a scheme appearing to glorify war generally, but if it's acceptable for one (legal) War, surely it's acceptable for all (legal) wars?

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Wildweasel74

Haig`s one of the major reasons so many soldiers had poppies on their graves to start with. He caused so many of their deaths with men running headlong into German machine guns. Great leader indeed.

red hander

Quote from: Evil Genius on October 31, 2012, 10:01:18 PM
Quote from: red hander on October 31, 2012, 09:29:09 PM
'* - "millenia" [sic] is plural, by the way'

US entered the war in 1941, by the way, oh infallible arsehole
Ah right, I see now that I typed "1041", instead of "1941".

I guess that that negates everything I've observed about Churchill, Stalin, Hitler and WWII generally, whilst entirely vindicating you.

Well, you're the king when it comes to pointing out others errors, now away and stick the rest of your head up your arse, finish the job and do us all a favour

Hardy

brokencrossbar1

Hardy

I presume you meant "here COME ..."

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Hardy on November 01, 2012, 03:03:35 PM
I presume you meant "here COME ..."

No deliberate to annoy :D

Wildweasel74

well with 10,000 plus posts he hasn't`t got much else to to. Spell check away,lol

Tony Baloney

Apparently The Northern Whig turned away some punters wearin poppys. Can kind of see their point on the door as it is an immediate identifier like a Rangers jersey and better to nip any potential hassles in the bud.

Rossfan

One less candidate for me to give a preference to in the next election  >:(

A Shannonside Fine Gael TD says the country needs to show solidarity with the Irishmen who fought in World War One.

Frank Feighan will this week become the first TD to wear the poppy in the Dáil for 16 years.

More than 200 thousand Irish men are thought to have fought in the British army in the First World War, with tens of thousands more enlisting in the second.

Roscommon South Leitrim's Frank Feighan says wearing the poppy is often seen as a very British symbol, but he thinks it's time to move on.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

spuds

Quote from: Rossfan on November 05, 2012, 11:01:39 AM

A Shannonside Fine Gael TD says the country needs to show solidarity with the Irishmen who fought in World War One.

Frank Feighan will this week become the first TD to wear the poppy in the Dáil for 16 years.

More than 200 thousand Irish men are thought to have fought in the British army in the First World War, with tens of thousands more enlisting in the second.

Roscommon South Leitrim's Frank Feighan says wearing the poppy is often seen as a very British symbol, but he thinks it's time to move on.

Definitely time for Feighan to move on.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Orior

Can someone ask Frank Feighan why the Germans do not wear poppies?

PS. If Frank Feighan wants to be more british, then why doesnt he just move to Engerland?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

aontroim

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 04, 2012, 12:27:22 AM
Apparently The Northern Whig turned away some punters wearin poppys. Can kind of see their point on the door as it is an immediate identifier like a Rangers jersey and better to nip any potential hassles in the bud.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Northern-Whig-Bar/91226568579

At least their 'faux pas' might have taken some of the totally unwarranted heat off Rafters in Swatragh who were getting hammered for something an ex-employee said about the recent dissident activity.

http://www.facebook.com/FRIELS.BAR.AND.RAFTERS.RESTAURANT

Facebook can be both an ally and an enemy to a business!  Some of these headcases just don't realise the harm their posts can make at times.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: spuds on November 05, 2012, 12:09:15 PM

Definitely time for Feighan to move on.

Well he shouldn't be allowed in, as far as I understand TDs and Senators are barred from wearing symbols into either chamber.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Farrandeelin

Roscommon hospital mustn't mean THAT much to you then. Afterall he voted for it's closure/downgrading at the time etc. In response to mghu's assertion, the Oireachtas sees no problem with him wearing it...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.