Started by thewobbler, July 19, 2015, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: BennyCake on February 16, 2021, 12:33:02 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 16, 2021, 11:58:58 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 16, 2021, 11:54:45 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 16, 2021, 10:55:44 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 16, 2021, 10:51:34 AM
It's not even remotely possible to discuss this subject objectively with people who evaluate Irish nationalism and British nationalism a two completely different things.

If I had a work colleague who put pro IRA or pro UVF things on their social media they'd be sacked.

Who has the authority to sack them?

I think its pretty well embedded in our employment laws, your feet wouldn't touch the ground on way out, major no no, I think a lot of people forget we are trying to create a peaceful future for EVERYONE

So, if you post a photograph of yourself in an Easter rising commemorative GAA shirt or a photograph of you at Michael Collins' grave, you'll be sacked?

I think if your post is deemed to contravene your work place social media policy or deemed to act against inclusivity within the workplace you could be on very dodgy ground. If you were found to be posting it during working hours you are almost certainly a goner now in the 6 counties.
You would be sacked in most workplaces in the north for the balaclava post, it could no way be described as a joke, embarrassing for him really-. He is a very big hearted lad, but as I said hes well known for being not the smartest lad in Creggan-he wont care anyhow he's the richest in Creggan by a long shot

sid waddell

Widespread support online for footballer John Terry Butcher after death threats

By Winston Webley Woodcock, TheLittleEnglander.com, February 16th, 2021

There is widespread support online for Londonderry City player John Terry Butcher after the English defender received death threats from thugs on social media.

The English defender, signed by the League of Ireland team from Peterborough last year, posed for an Instagram picture last week with a Parachute Regiment cap and a toy shotgun with the words "And now for some real history #14" written on top of the picture.

Londonderry journalist Eamon McFan said there was "wide anger" in the city over Butcher's picture, that it was "an insult to the people of (sic) Derry" and that Butcher "would not be welcome back at the Brandywell or at (sic) Derry City Football Club in the future".

However, the dominant sentiment online was of support for Butcher with @NoDealBrexitNOW43293648 saying "Well done John Terry Butcher, tell those Irish cants some REAL history", while @WhiteEnglishManandProud said "Fackin' love what John Terry Butcher done, a proud English patriot, tellin' like it is".

Irish journalist Qwan McKenny @QanONandONandON said Butcher should be defended: "This is a free speech issue - you can't be in favour of free speech and not fully defend the right of people to incite hatred." McKenny then blocked dozens of dissenting tweeters.

Social media forums in Ireland have descended into bitter infighting over the issue.

johnnycool

Quote from: Itchy on February 16, 2021, 11:07:31 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 16, 2021, 11:04:53 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 16, 2021, 10:39:03 AM
Quote from: Itchy on February 16, 2021, 10:30:19 AM
Yeh I agree, he deserves to get death threats.
I totally disagree with your assertion that McClean deserves to get death threats

And if you roll your eyes at that deliberate and performative dismissal of sarcasm, well, I'm only adding to the farce that those who totally refuse to see that McClean posting pro-PIRA stuff might just be an issue for a lot of people in England, have already decided to lay on rich and thick

I'll ask again as this accusation is thrown out yet again, what has he posted?

Johnny, you are about to enter a debate with Sid. Do yourself a favour and don't.

How right were you....

sid waddell

Just wondering if anybody here believes that online death threats are wrong, whatever the circumstances, and that the people who post such threats are utter scumbags

And also that McClean's behaviour in posting pro-PIRA material on social media is that of a narcissist and an idiot out to cause needless offence, at best

And that he posts this stuff in the full knowledge that it will generate a reaction - which he desires, being a narcissist with a wish to embrace a total victim complex

It is possible to believe both of these things

But the strong impression I'm getting is that some posters believe it's not possible to believe both of these things

I wonder why that is

Angelo

Sid doing a lot of projecting as usual.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

sid waddell

Quote from: Angelo on February 16, 2021, 01:13:54 PM
You win the argument, I submit, checkmate

You're so good at this

Angelo

Quote from: sid waddell on February 16, 2021, 01:33:02 PM

You're so good at this

No surprise as you don't have a leg to stand on.

Will be interesting to see you next thing you pivot on and show your lack of emotional maturity as you go around contradicting yourself to exercise your vendetta.

The forum's Eoghan Harris.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

sid waddell

Quote from: Angelo on February 16, 2021, 01:35:28 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 16, 2021, 01:33:02 PM

You're so good at this

No surprise as you don't have a leg to stand on.

Will be interesting to see you next thing you pivot on and show your lack of emotional maturity as you go around contradicting yourself to exercise your vendetta.

The forum's Eoghan Harris.
Oh please do keep going

I'm squirming in embarrassment at your intellectual destruction of me

BennyCake

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 16, 2021, 12:56:03 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 16, 2021, 12:33:02 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 16, 2021, 11:58:58 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 16, 2021, 11:54:45 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 16, 2021, 10:55:44 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 16, 2021, 10:51:34 AM
It's not even remotely possible to discuss this subject objectively with people who evaluate Irish nationalism and British nationalism a two completely different things.

If I had a work colleague who put pro IRA or pro UVF things on their social media they'd be sacked.

Who has the authority to sack them?

I think its pretty well embedded in our employment laws, your feet wouldn't touch the ground on way out, major no no, I think a lot of people forget we are trying to create a peaceful future for EVERYONE

So, if you post a photograph of yourself in an Easter rising commemorative GAA shirt or a photograph of you at Michael Collins' grave, you'll be sacked?

I think if your post is deemed to contravene your work place social media policy or deemed to act against inclusivity within the workplace you could be on very dodgy ground. If you were found to be posting it during working hours you are almost certainly a goner now in the 6 counties.
You would be sacked in most workplaces in the north for the balaclava post, it could no way be described as a joke, embarrassing for him really-. He is a very big hearted lad, but as I said hes well known for being not the smartest lad in Creggan-he wont care anyhow he's the richest in Creggan by a long shot

But if you're going down that route, sure you could be sacked for anything as some people will go out of their way to be offended.

Some unionists will say that the GAA isn't inclusive to them, so someone posting about a GAA match could be deemed as "not being inclusive", and one could be sacked for supporting his team. Same with a unionist posting about going to the Twelfth parades. Orange marches is far from being inclusive for Catholics, so some might find an issue with that.

What about Pride marches? That's not being inclusive to straight people. A bald men convention, that's discriminatory towards those with a head of hair.

Applesisapples

Genuine request, can someone post an example of McClean's pro IRA posts. I am aware of the balaclava one which I took as a joke, albeit in poor taste and a bit stupid.

trailer

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 16, 2021, 02:58:18 PM
Genuine request, can someone post an example of McClean's pro IRA posts. I am aware of the balaclava one which I took as a joke, albeit in poor taste and a bit stupid.

I don't think he has posted any Pro IRA material (other than the Balaclava post). He is certainly an Irish Republican and I think it's fair to say he has no love for the British Army but out and out IRA stuff I don't think so. The Balaclava post was certainly stupid. He's going to be a target for a certain soccer fan, that English nationalist and that comes hand in hand with his poppy stance unfortunately. He's in Stoke as well which is pretty much as English nationalist as you get. He certainly doesn't deserve the abuse he or his family gets. 

Louther

I see he got a message of support from Neil Lennon.

Just when you think things can't get any worse.....

thebigfella

Quote from: Louther on February 16, 2021, 03:31:43 PM
I see he got a message of support from Neil Lennon.

Just when you think things can't get any worse.....

The dreaded vote of confidence  ;D

johnnycool

Don't be expecting a coherent response from the lad making that accusation and don't forget the P before IRA...

bennydorano

Quote from: trailer on February 16, 2021, 03:30:37 PM

I don't think he has posted any Pro IRA material (other than the Balaclava post). He is certainly an Irish Republican and I think it's fair to say he has no love for the British Army but out and out IRA stuff I don't think so. The Balaclava post was certainly stupid. He's going to be a target for a certain soccer fan, that English nationalist and that comes hand in hand with his poppy stance unfortunately. He's in Stoke as well which is pretty much as English nationalist as you get. He certainly doesn't deserve the abuse he or his family gets.
I doubt there is anything specific. Does all this not stem from him posting something on social media along the lines of - 'why should I wear a poppy in support of British Soldiers when British Soldiers murdered unarmed citizens in my home town'.