Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 05, 2019, 02:54:47 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 05, 2019, 02:12:29 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 05, 2019, 01:55:19 PM
It's like the Big Ron style Utd now!

Totally wrong. Ron's teams were full of leaders and men (Robson, Moran, McGrath, Hughes and many, many more)....perhaps a little unfortunate to not win more with them than the 2 FA Cups.

Talent was never the problem....party life-style was and also the Liverpool and Everton teams of that era were much better.

Leaders alright, but loved a pint too, they were miles behind Liverpool and I was at those games during Ron's time. Ron loved a big signing but no end product
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 05, 2019, 03:08:55 PM

Totally wrong. Ron's teams were full of leaders and men (Robson, Moran, McGrath, Hughes and many, many more)....perhaps a little unfortunate to not win more with them than the 2 FA Cups.

Talent was never the problem....party life-style was and also the Liverpool and Everton teams of that era were much better.

Leaders alright, but loved a pint too, they were miles behind Liverpool and I was at those games during Ron's time. Ron loved a big signing but no end product

As did the Liverpool team of the 80's!

magpie seanie

Go on so, give us examples of this when he was at United? He made mostly brilliant signings during that time. Peter Davenport probably the only one that cost a significant fee that didn't work out. The FA Cup's in 1983 and 1985 weren't "no end product"....if Robson could have stayed fit and Edwards didn't sell Hughes at Christmas he would have won the league in 85/86 too.

magpie seanie

They all drank like fish in those days. Liverpool and Everton were excellent sides back then and certainly more consistent but United beat them both regularly and in big games too.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 05, 2019, 03:49:48 PM

They all drank like fish in those days. Liverpool and Everton were excellent sides back then and certainly more consistent but United beat them both regularly and in big games too.

Yes,  all teams did drink but I think it is well known that the likes of Whiteside, Robson, McGrath et al were heavy, heavy boozers and when Fergie came in it was a mission of his to break that culture.  United were always a good side but they lacked the consistency to stay at the top.

Maroon Manc

Robbo was a very heavy drinker and more often than not the instigator of it too. , just very lucky that it never affected him on the pitch like the others. He's lauded so much by reds of a certain as Captain Marvel, he might have been a brilliant captain on the pitch but far from it off it. On the pitch Robbo was one of the best United ever had.

Armamike

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 05, 2019, 04:27:04 PM
Robbo was a very heavy drinker and more often than not the instigator of it too. , just very lucky that it never affected him on the pitch like the others. He's lauded so much by reds of a certain as Captain Marvel, he might have been a brilliant captain on the pitch but far from it off it. On the pitch Robbo was one of the best United ever had.

Would his drinking have been a factor in him picking up so many injuries?
That's just, like your opinion man.

BennyCake

Fergie got rid of McGrath and Whiteside due to the drinking, but not Robson.

McGrath proved him wrong though, going on to play fantastic stuff for the guts of a decade afterwards. Even with the dodgy knees.

Armamike

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 05, 2019, 03:47:02 PM

Go on so, give us examples of this when he was at United? He made mostly brilliant signings during that time. Peter Davenport probably the only one that cost a significant fee that didn't work out. The FA Cup's in 1983 and 1985 weren't "no end product"....if Robson could have stayed fit and Edwards didn't sell Hughes at Christmas he would have won the league in 85/86 too.

I remember Man U winning something like their first 10 games that season, and thinking it was looking ominous! 
That's just, like your opinion man.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: BennyCake on June 05, 2019, 04:50:37 PM

McGrath proved him wrong though, going on to play fantastic stuff for the guts of a decade afterwards. Even with the dodgy knees.

Fergie was told that McGrath was on the verge of forced retirement when he took over but won league player of the year the following year. Reading McGraths book Graham Taylor saved his career, gave us the Italia 90 McGrath. His career dipped after that because Taylor took the England job. We only remember the good points at the world cups etc. Fantastic footballer, cleaning out Baggio in USA 94 is highlight for me, one of the best players Ireland have produced.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 05, 2019, 03:47:02 PM

No end product meant no league was what I was referring to. Utd signed big players as they were still a big draw and paid well, Ton couldn't gel a good team to win the league, winning the first ten games meant nothing, sure Liverpool have been top at Xmas a few times and still didn't win the league, it's how you finish that matters and Liverpool were the kings, their 'drinkers' could play football and drink
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on June 05, 2019, 05:11:54 PM

Fergie was told that McGrath was on the verge of forced retirement when he took over but won league player of the year the following year. Reading McGraths book Graham Taylor saved his career, gave us the Italia 90 McGrath. His career dipped after that because Taylor took the England job. We only remember the good points at the world cups etc. Fantastic footballer, cleaning out Baggio in USA 94 is highlight for me, one of the best players Ireland have produced.

Fergie offered McGrath a lump sum to retire. McGrath wanted to play on despite his knees. He won POTY in 1993. That was long after Taylor left. He was still playing well up until he left Villa, in 1997 I think.

I honestly think Fergie didn't want McGrath to go to another club. He wanted him retired. He knew he was a fine player and it would've been a dent to Fergie's ego if he left and played really well for another club, which McGrath did. And by proving Fergie wrong (which McGrath said he wanted to do), it made Fergie's decision to let him go, a bad one.

Milltown Row2

It did, but in the end Utd won the league after a fight out with Mcgrath at Villa.

Was walking out after that game with Utd and Villa and McGrath was heading across the road to the car park and he was mobbed by all the Utd fans outside old Trafford. He did autographs for about 20 minutes before getting offside

J70

I once watched a match between Liverpool and Leeds, sitting in the Abbey Hotel in Donegal Town, sitting between Paul McGrath and Tony Boyle, former Donegal footballer.
Early 2000s.
No one else in the hotel bar.
Not sure if McGrath knew Tony Boyle from Adam (I don't know Tony personally), but no one said anything and just watched the game. McGrath did smile when Liverpool scored and I leapt from the chair!

Not much of a story, I know, but life can put you some strange situations sometimes! :)

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: BennyCake on June 05, 2019, 08:31:30 PM
Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on June 05, 2019, 05:11:54 PM

Fergie offered McGrath a lump sum to retire. McGrath wanted to play on despite his knees. He won POTY in 1993. That was long after Taylor left. He was still playing well up until he left Villa, in 1997 I think.

I honestly think Fergie didn't want McGrath to go to another club. He wanted him retired. He knew he was a fine player and it would've been a dent to Fergie's ego if he left and played really well for another club, which McGrath did. And by proving Fergie wrong (which McGrath said he wanted to do), it made Fergie's decision to let him go, a bad one.

I had it in my head he won POTY in 89 for some reason. Must read his book again. When you think about it Robbo was finished by 92 realistically and McGrath was still going well after it. I'm not saying Fergie was right btw. The same man thought he could have kept Gazza right but let McGrath go.