Maigh Eo v Ros Comáin 25-5-19

Started by Farrandeelin, May 12, 2019, 09:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 25, 2019, 10:25:57 PM
Fair play to Ros. Scoreboard doesn't lie. Someone on the way out told me Mayo had 18 wides. 18 fuckin wides. I honestly don't know what to say. I mean it's not as if Cunningham was going to give the Mayo forwards freedom of the park like McStay did in CP. Only Fergal Boland can hold his head high from a Mayo point of view, scored some massive points in the second half. Hard to muster much optimism after that tonight. As for Ros, a fine tall strong physical team that managed to take their chances when the opportunities arose. I knew McLoughlin would miss, always does even in non pressure environments. Not absorbing him of blame though as he should've known it from every previous free he ever took from similar positions. Onto the backdoor. You'd hope Horan and co can learn from this game and try to organise forward shooting drills before the next one.

joemamas

What Horan obviously missed was Donie Buckley and John Mcentee.
Not all his fault but some very very questionable decisions were made on the line.

Itchy

Great game which was won by Roscommons greater efficiency in front of the posts. How many wides had they? Feck all I am guessing. Mayo were poor, very poor. I didnt see that coming to be honest. I hope they beat Galway now and their horrid style of football.

From the Bunker

Quote from: joemamas on May 25, 2019, 11:21:35 PM
Not all his fault but some very very questionable decisions were made on the line.

That said we have saved a lot of money on Donie Buckley and John McEntee not being part of the Backroom team.

joemamas

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 25, 2019, 11:25:14 PM

That said we have saved a lot of money on Donie Buckley and John McEntee not being part of the Backroom team.

That is great to hear.  ::) ::)

Lar Naparka

Quote from: joemamas on May 25, 2019, 11:27:12 PM

Yeah, like "Every cloud has a silver lining." Well, if this particular game had some positives,  I can't fkn see
them. :D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

joemamas

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 25, 2019, 11:32:31 PM

Yeah, like "Every cloud has a silver lining." Well, if this particular game had some positives,  I can't fkn see

Is is possible that if Buckley or McEntee were there, one of them may have mentioned that we are going into last 7+ minutes with no free taker.

From the Bunker

You just can't be spending big, big money on backroom personnel. Who do you think we are? Dublin?

joemamas

Last rant of the night,
How can Andy seem to talk himself onto the team as the first sub for the forwards.
As soon as he comes on, the dynamic of at least 50% of all attacks changes to where the ball is kicked or demanded to be kicked as near to the corner flag as is possible, then we start the attack all over again.
He was a great servant and put his time in for sure, and should be thanked wholeheartedly for that, but.............

From the Bunker

What I want to know is what happen to the Strong Bench Horan built up over the the Spring? Where did it go to?

MayoBuck

Following Mayo would add years to you.  :-\

It's crazy the amount of basic things cost us over and over again. Handing goals to the opposition on a plate, no decent free taker when Cillian isn't there and in previous years petulant red cards. If I was managing an U16 team they would be the things I'd get right first.

Our 3 established forwards were very poor. Didn't expect Darren Coen to be so good in fairness to him. We cleaned up in midfield mainly due to Aidan and Ruane showed well too. Durcan very good and Boland stood up in the 2nd half after a quiet opening. Can't really pick anyone else out on our side.

Best of luck to the Rossies in the final.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 25, 2019, 10:25:57 PM
Fair play to Ros. Scoreboard doesn't lie. Someone on the way out told me Mayo had 18 wides. 18 fuckin wides. I honestly don't know what to say. I mean it's not as if Cunningham was going to give the Mayo forwards freedom of the park like McStay did in CP. Only Fergal Boland can hold his head high from a Mayo point of view, scored some massive points in the second half. Hard to muster much optimism after that tonight. As for Ros, a fine tall strong physical team that managed to take their chances when the opportunities arose. I knew McLoughlin would miss, always does even in non pressure environments. Not absorbing him of blame though as he should've known it from every previous free he ever took from similar positions. Onto the backdoor. You'd hope Horan and co can learn from this game and try to organise forward shooting drills before the next one.
r

Really Farr? do you honestly think it's down to that?

kerryforsam19

Well done to Conor Cox giving an exhibitition of point kicking. Mayo haven't won a Connacht since the dream team of Holmes and Connelly.

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 25, 2019, 11:32:31 PM

Yeah, like "Every cloud has a silver lining." Well, if this partic ular game had some positives,  I can't fkn see

There is no silver lining there. To paraphrase F Scott Fitzgerald -  there are no second acts in Mayo Manager's lives. I hope I will be proven wrong later in the year but I doubt it. Horan was riddled today tactically. Cunningham didn't have to be a genius to do it either. Just watch the old tapes, especially the 2012 AI final. The template to beat Mayo has been out there for years. At least we, and the players have the league to console ourselves with. That is probably as good as we will see.

GalwayBayBoy

One thing I'll say about Anthony Cunningham is his teams always have a hard edge to them and are usually very tough to beat. He was pretty unlucky not to win a hurling All Ireland with Galway. Twice they had Kilkenny on the ropes in the final but maybe they were just not quite mature enough to finish the job during his time with them. He knows how to prepare a team.