10 Years Ago Today. Tyrone 0-12 Armagh 0-9.

Started by ONeill, September 28, 2013, 09:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: theticklemister on September 29, 2013, 05:37:35 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 29, 2013, 05:16:16 AM
Sadly,Tyrone have not left a positive legacy.They will forever be associated with puke football,and to this day are lambasted for negativity,cynical fouling etc.What good are ten All Ireland's in a row even,when you don't get the acclaim of the nation? I feel sorry for the genuinely talented players whose reputation has been tainted due to a horrible system of play,that while effective in terms of results,has not been pleasing on the eye,and has left the legislators scratching their head,and coming up with black cards etc,to purify our national games. >:(

I woke up from my sleep to say....yer correct Tony

Or, you could have a mind of your own and see past the Pat Spilliane puke analysis and look at the great football played in National league finals v Laois, Ulster finals v Down and Armagh! AI quarters v Dublin, AI semis v Armagh and Wexford and most importantly finals v Kerry. They took on the best teams, of probably one of the best eras for Gaelic football, and beat them all in some of the best games of football of modern times. I'd say anyone with an ounce of a football brain could see that for themselves and not need to be told what to think by a bitter southern media.
That was never a square ball!!

T Fearon

Or you could stick to the facts?

2003 AI Semi Final.Ugliest game of all time.Fact.

2003 AI Final.Injury feigned to get an opposing player sent off at a crucial stage of the game.Fact.

2005.Ulster Final replay,two players sent off.Fact

2005 AI Final.Greatest player of the modern era almost loses an eye due to gouging.Fact

2013 AI quarter final,Monaghan player hauled down enroute to goal,prompting the correct forthright analysis of Tyrone's decade of cynicism and spoiling tactics,permeated right down through all levels of the sport,delivered not be a southern born pundit,but from one born in Derry.

Farrandeelin

Still only managed to beat Mayo once...in an era when everryone and anyone could :P
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BennyHarp

Quote from: T Fearon on September 29, 2013, 08:09:54 AM

2003 AI Final.Injury feigned to get an opposing player sent off at a crucial stage of the game.Fact.

2005 AI Final.Greatest player of the modern era almost loses an eye due to gouging.Fact

2013 AI quarter final,Monaghan player hauled down enroute to goal,prompting the correct forthright analysis of Tyrone's decade of cynicism and spoiling tactics,permeated right down through all levels of the sport,delivered not be a southern born pundit,but from one born in Derry.

Both players had their cards rescinded after the 2005 final - fact. Which means that the decision to send them off and in effect award the game to Armagh was 100% wrong! Armagh by then had realised that they'd never beat that Tyrone team playing football - their bully boy tactics when Peter came on was shameful and unfortunately was a trademark of that great team.

Go watch the first half of the 2003 semi again,Tony. As near football perfection as you will get - this comment is as much fact as your statement that it was the ugliest game of all time. (Did you see last Sundays match by the way - now that was ugly?) The second half of the 2003 semi was about a team overcoming years of defeats to get a job done - it hardly defines 10 years of football.

Marsden struck Jordan - fact.

Club Rossa

It brings back memories of T Fearon being interviewed outside Croke Park before the game and telling Mark Sidebottom that "Sam will never be in the Moy!" ;D ;D

BennyHarp

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 29, 2013, 08:18:15 AM
Still only managed to beat Mayo once...in an era when everryone and anyone could :P

In that 10 year period Mayo got to 4 All Ireland finals - I'd hardly say everyone and anyone could beat them in that era.

T Fearon

It also marks a decade since my hotel booking policy was fundamentally altered with a new clause providing for double checking of required dates and third party affirmation of same! ;D

rrhf

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 29, 2013, 08:28:49 AM

Both players had their cards rescinded after the 2005 final - fact. Which means that the decision to send them off and in effect award the game to Armagh was 100% wrong! Armagh by then had realised that they'd never beat that Tyrone team playing football - their bully boy tactics when Peter came on was shameful and unfortunately was a trademark of that great team.

Go watch the first half of the 2003 semi again,Tony. As near football perfection as you will get - this comment is as much fact as your statement that it was the ugliest game of all time. (Did you see last Sundays match by the way?) The second half was about a team overcoming years of defeats to get a job done - it hardly defines 10 years of football.

Marsden was irrelevant. Spent more time off the field than Canavan that game, carrying an injury.

Throw ball

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 29, 2013, 08:28:49 AM

Go watch the first half of the 2003 semi again,Tony. As near football perfection as you will get - this comment is as much fact as your statement that it was the ugliest game of all time. (Did you see last Sundays match by the way - now that was ugly?) The second half of the 2003 semi was about a team overcoming years of defeats to get a job done - it hardly defines 10 years of football.

Not wanting to get into at old them and us argument that has no current relevance is the fact that Marsden had his red card overturned not make the decision to send him off to be 100% wrong or does this argument only apply to Tyrone players?

DuffleKing

Lol T

The most comical episode of all was Canavan injuring himself diving against Kerry in 2003. Mike McCarthy didnt even know he was there and still got booked!

Orchardman

It was a terrible game though, never got going at any stage until Armagh decided to wake up and start playing just before the marsden farce

easytiger95

Said it before and I'll say it again, their performance against us in the rain in 2008 was a pure master class. When I'm thinking of the style of football they played, using a soccer analogy, the best Tyrone sides were like a great German team - outstanding individuals in key areas, but always subservient to the team ethic and the primary characteristic being efficiency - they could play it any way you wanted it. I think Kerry may have touched heights of better football in certain passages of play in the last decade (Kerry 2007 vintage was fairly sublime) but you could never bet against that Tyrone side versus any team. And the key was they reserved their best performances for the biggest games. Respect to all involved in that team.

DuffleKing

give her dixie

I was in Croke Park to witness Donegal, Derry and Armagh win their 1st All Ireland, and the homecomings as well, and I just dreamed of what it would mean for us to win it one day. Well on that magical day in '03 I got to have that feeling, and boy what a feeling it was.

That year we did the treble in winning the Natiional League, Ulster and then the Sam. From the moment Mickey was appointed manager, I knew deep in my heart that he would lead us to the promised land. To do it in his 1st year, like Joe the year before, was just amazing. That day and the celebrations after will live forever with me.

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

BennyCake

Id like to add...

McMenamin's knees almost decapitate McEntee.

Canavans dive to win penalty v Down 03

Cavanagh taking out McGeeney 05

McGuigan gets Gregory McCartan sent off 03

Also the persistent goading, thumping, slabbering and underhand tactics to opponents by the likes of McMenamin, Gormley, Jordan down the years. And persistent diving by Canavan, Cavanagh, Mulligan etc to win handy frees.

Ive said it before, even though Harte brought Tyrone success, his tactics have really dragged down the game this last decade.