Sigerson 2019

Started by ck, November 28, 2018, 01:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

We can all be pissed off at refs at times but to be pissed off at him for actually applying the rules???

bloody mary

Highlights, with the penalty incident from two new angles..
https://youtu.be/cYwvd00Cwj4

spuds

Quote from: bloody mary on February 21, 2019, 12:58:15 PM

8 steps or so before defender takes him out, no penalty right call and Gough deserves credit for that. Poster calling him dishonest need their head examined. Reffing Gaelic football nearly an impossible task with the tackle in our game and all the slabbering and pushing that goes on.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

toby47

Quote from: spuds on February 21, 2019, 01:29:03 PM

8 steps or so before defender takes him out, no penalty right call and Gough deserves credit for that. Poster calling him dishonest need their head examined. Reffing Gaelic football nearly an impossible task with the tackle in our game and all the slabbering and pushing that goes on.

Also think he got the penalty spot on - and I was cheering on St. Mary's

JoG2

Some call by the ref to be fair. You don't see too many calling those. All involved want consistency. After 5/10 mins you should know how the ref is going to call tackles / steps etc and react accordingly. The problem is refs change their tune at times during games. A 4/5 man tackle (!) is allowed during a play, next time its a free. Very frustrating. But I agree Spuds, reffing football is a tough tough job

Wildweasel74

1 ref can't enforce this rule if the rest ignore it. I never wore A gumshield in 15yrs of playing fball but I actually had breathing issues and a gum shield affected this

Ball Hopper

Didn't Gough show he was serious about the gumshield rule by making the midfielders get in compliance before he started the game?

Showed he was serious about the rule and very stupid by a player to ignore the rule.

Kerry's Peter Crowley has a habit of playing with the gumshield hanging out of his mouth sometimes...surprised he hasn't been pulled for it as it is a lot more obvious than not having one at all.

Throw ball

Didn't think referee gave a free for overcarrying instead of a penalty. Was free not given for touching ball on ground after penalty appeal collision ? I feel there was 6 steps before initial contact. Still a free but the inconsistency in applying the rule is a problem.

DuffleKing

It was obvious the call was for overcarrying - otherwise it would have been a kick out rather than a free. The right call and Gough is one of the few refs who is semi conscious around steps.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: JoG2 on February 21, 2019, 01:43:51 PM

Some call by the ref to be fair. You don't see too many calling those. All involved want consistency. After 5/10 mins you should know how the ref is going to call tackles / steps etc and react accordingly. The problem is refs change their tune at times during games. A 4/5 man tackle (!) is allowed during a play, next time its a free. Very frustrating. But I agree Spuds, reffing football is a tough tough job

There's several instances during the game where players took just as many step that led to scores. Over half the UCC scores covered by the highlights have instances of their players taking 8 steps.

I don't like Gough's style, I've watched too many matches with him and frees are given for nothing time and time again.

ck

Firstly, how the hell can we give out about a referee who applies the rules and in fairness to Gough, he's consistent. If you have to wear a gumshield then bloody wear one. These people giving out that other referees don't apply the rule then they are the problem, not Gough!

I spoke to a referee about this and his answer was clear - if you don't speak back to a referee then he'll never know you don't have a gumshield (as he doesn't check) so if you don't wear one, then give the referee abuse, you know what is coming! Gough is probably the most consistent referee in Ireland and in fairness we all want consistency!

David McKeown

I'm not disagreeing although it may seem like I'm about to.  The difficulty comes though with rules that are never strictly adhered to. The too close on free kick rules seems to never be applied correctly.  In fact most I speak to don't even know what the precise rule is. Soloing a free kick before taking it is another. Strict compliance with the four step rule or spot of the foul etc etc. If you are going to enforce rules like the gum shield one, when other referees don't, as was done here you open yourself up to criticism as to why you are cherry picking certain rules. If you laud a ref for strict adherence to the rules you have to criticise him if he allows a free as much as one inch away from the spot of the foul.

Either common sense has to be applied and we accept that will lead to a certain amount of inconsistency or strict adherence to the rules is the ideal in which case I'd imagine we will have a very boring game very quickly. Either way the referee will be liable for criticism. It's a thankless task which is neigh on impossible in the modern game. I still think a second referee in inter county games would assist immensely.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

GalwayBayBoy

Freshers final was played yesterday with DCU going for 4 in a row.

NUIG 2-13 DCU 1-15

Blowitupref

Sigerson cup team of the year.

1. Mark Reid (St Mary's)

2. Brian O'Beaglaoích (UCC)
3. Kevin Mc Donnell (NUIG)
4. Graham O'Sullivan (UCC)

5. Cian Kiely (UCC)
6. Daniel O'Brien (UCC)
7. Cillian O'Shea (UCD)

8. Jarlath Óg Burns (St Mary's)
9. Padraig Lucey (UCC)

10. Michael Langan (LYIT)
11. Sean O'Shea (UCC)
12. Peter Cooke (NUIG)

13. Stephen McConville (St Mary's)
14. Evan O'Carroll (UCD)
15. Shane McGuigan (St Mary's)

Sean O'Shea named player of the Sigerson cup.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Sionnach

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 15, 2019, 10:22:09 PM
Sigerson cup team of the year.

1. Mark Reid (St Mary's)

2. Brian O'Beaglaoích (UCC)
3. Kevin Mc Donnell (NUIG)
4. Graham O'Sullivan (UCC)

5. Cian Kiely (UCC)
6. Daniel O'Brien (UCC)
7. Cillian O'Shea (UCD)

8. Jarlath Óg Burns (St Mary's)
9. Padraig Lucey (UCC)

10. Michael Langan (LYIT)
11. Sean O'Shea (UCC)
12. Peter Cooke (NUIG)

13. Stephen McConville (St Mary's)
14. Evan O'Carroll (UCD)
15. Shane McGuigan (St Mary's)

Sean O'Shea named player of the Sigerson cup.

Unusual double for Kerry with Seán O'Shea getting the Sigerson player of the year and Shane Conway getting the Fitzgibbon award.