Down Championship Predictions Competition

Started by Bacon, July 18, 2007, 09:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadMick007

Why have down juniors not have any training sessions. After a little success in the Leinster shield surely this should have been a stepping stone to get things going for a strong challenge against Ballycran.

Portaferry v Ballygalget with the Ports probably scraping through with the narrowest of margins. With Doole back this should provide the difference. Any doole is allot better than most..

Has there been any venue set for the final.

Whitehair

The juniors have been training the last number of weeks, wednesdays and sundays i think!? I wasnt at any of them but i was told there was 8 in attendance the morning Paudie Butler was there to take them and the Academy.

Lecale2

Quote from: MadMick007 on September 05, 2007, 01:22:13 PM

As I understand it and according to the master fixtures list the SHC final was down for 23 Sept along with the IHC Final.The SFC final was down for 7th Oct.  But then the County Board took a decison to play both finals (SHC & SFC) as a double header in Newry.

If they play both on 7th Oct they will be in trouble if the SHC ends in a draw because the Ulster Club SHC starts on 14th Oct. The Ulster dates won't be changed. Does anybody have any other information?

Aristotle Flynn

Why have down juniors not have any training sessions. After a little success in the Leinster shield surely this should have been a stepping stone to get things going for a strong challenge against Ballycran.

Portaferry v Ballygalget with the Ports probably scraping through with the narrowest of margins. With Doole back this should provide the difference. Any doole is allot better than most..

Will Dule really be back? If he is it's great news for the lad, Portaferry and the county but I hope he hasn't rushed it.

If Ballycran beat the Juniors the final should be in the Ards. There would be a fantastic atmosphere in the lower pitch if you had Ballycran v Ballygalget in both SHC & IHC as a double header. Or Ports v Ballycran in Ballygelget
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

MadMick007

I agree with the fact that taking the final out of the Ards will not serve any purpose. We have a number of people over the months commenting that it is only a PR exercise and that it in no way will promote hurling. The final last year in Ballygalget was one of the best in terms of excitement and atmosphere and also pulled one of the biggest crowds for some time. Keep the final in the ards and as one man has said on this board that if you are interested in Hurling from the mainland you will travel to watch the match.

I also hope doole has not rushed things as this was his second knee op. I suppose you will do all possible to get a championship game.

I believe Down Juniors had probably the best chance to cause an upset this year with them playing regularly together and now that I hear they were not putting in the effort is a bit of a dissapointment.

Bacon

Ladbrokes are offering odds. Galgets looks well priced!!

Ballygalget vs Portaferry - (Down Semi Final)

11/10  Ballygalget    8/1  Draw    5/6  Portaferry   15:30

Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Bacon

This weeks predictions:

PRFC
Downpatrick v Bryansford - Downpatrick

RFC
Rostrevor v Mayobridge - Rostrevor

JFC
Bosco v St. Michaels - Bosco

SFC
Bryansford v Mayobridge - Mayobridge

SHC
Ballycran v Down Juniors - Ballycran

IFC
Ballyholland v Ballymartin - Ballyholland

SFC
Burren v Longstone - Longstone

JFC
Drumaness v St. Johns - Drumaness

IFC
Darragh Cross v Downpatrick - Downpatrick

SHC
Ballygalget v Portaferry - Ballygalget
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

johnneycool

Quote from: Aristotle Flynn on September 05, 2007, 03:38:27 PM

Will Dule really be back? If he is it's great news for the lad, Portaferry and the county but I hope he hasn't rushed it.

If Ballycran beat the Juniors the final should be in the Ards. There would be a fantastic atmosphere in the lower pitch if you had Ballycran v Ballygalget in both SHC & IHC as a double header. Or Ports v Ballycran in Ballygelget

Dule would be mad to even strip out as he's nowhere near ready to take part in a full blown competitive game. He hasn't even taken part in a training game for Portaferry yet. Marty would need a boot in the hole if he put the lad under any pressure to line out. Dule should take the winter to gradually build the knee up again and wait till the pitches get harder around May time before coming back in earnest.

As for the game itself, biased and all that I am I still think it's Ballygalgets to lose. I'd be concerned about a few positional moves for us as I don't know whether big Aaron will start as he's played most of the training games with the seconds team and didn't start against Dunloy in the UHL. The last day out against the Ports they could do nothing with him and all things being equal in the tight confines of Ballycran I'd start him No 6. With Barry Coulter back in fitness I'd also start him at the expense of either Johnny Boon or Gary Flynn, neither have impressed me of late. I'd expect Gary to start at No11, but if he isn't getting the ball into the forwards he should make way for Barry. The other debate is whether Darren Flynn will partner Gabs Clarke in midfield with Paddy Monan going back in right half back with young Chris Conlon losing out. That'll be the most likely option but I wouldn't be too concerned if Chrissy starts as he's played well all year and hasn't been found wanting. Fullback is a bit of a concern for us as we've tried a few options all year without much degree of success. It's a toss up between Kevin and Garret Dynes with pro's and cons for both. Kevin is one big solid f**ker who isn't the greatest stickman in the world but doesn't give up too much lightly, fouling might be a concern though, Garrett is the better hurler but plays the ball a bit much for a fullback and lacks a turn of pace.

The Ports will be happy to have BA back and he'll start at 11 probably with Stephen Murray and Ciaran Coulter either side. If Ballygalget get on top here that'll be the winning of the game for them. If these three win a lot of ball they'll need to take their own scores as the Ports fullforward line has been poor all year.
Andy Savage needs a big game but as Darren Flynn is every bit as fit and fast as him, he'll need to read the game better than Darren to have the kind of influence he normally has on the game. I don't know who'll partner Andy but as Gabs Clarke has proved a revelation for Ballygalget in midfield to date, they'll have their work cut out.
The Ports have a few niggly injuries to both Barry Milligan and Barry Coleman, but I'd expect both to start in the half back line. Chunky Conlon will probably line out fullback and whilst he's a good hurler gave up 4 points from play in last years final to Mick Braniff. If Magic gets the same opportunities that'll be 4 goals instead. Conor O'prey held Paddy rat well in the league meeting and will probably do the same come sunday, a good young hurler if he keeps his head. The rat needs too much space to strike the ball and can get away with it using his speed. O'Prey is probably quicker so he'll not have that luxury.

I'm expecting a close contest as always down in Ballycran and whoever gets a lead up early will hold on as Ballycran is a disaster of a pitch to go chasing a lead as it's easy to shut up shop in a tight pitch especially when it's windy.

I still think we'll win with 4 to spare but we'll need to be on our game.

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

Don't expect too much from the Juniors against Ballycran - they had eight at a training session for the visit of Paudie Butler while The Academy team had 25 players there for their session! I too thought the Juniors might do something but too many players just happy to turn up and get the jersey while some of the players being selected wouldn't get a game with the likes of Shamrocks or Liatriom such as Paul Mc Cusker and yet they will be corner backs against the Crans.

You only need one or two weak links at Senior hurling to be on the road to a tanking and the juniors unfortunately have more than one or two especially as Artie Mc Guinness is out having broke his finger in the final of the Jude 7s on Saturday also a doubt about Eoin as he has trials for the Ireland U21 Shinty squad on the same day. Crans by 10pts+

In the other semi final I expect Ballygalget to have too much for the Ports - think this will be the last hurrah for this current Ballygalget team and they will take some stopping. Dule is a massive loss to Portaferry and even if he does make an appearance how fit will he be - think it would be madness to risk him. Kevin Mc Garry if he plays will be an addition to the Ports as will BA if he is back but still see them struggling to get scores without Dule.

The tight confines of Ballycran mean this will be no classic and the exchanges will be tight and tough which will suit Ballygalget - expect them to win by 4/5 pts.

Ps - I thought the Hurling final was remaining now in the Ards, madness to bring it to Newry as I've said before PR exercise, how about some real action to promote hurling in South Down rather than gimmicks? Any hurling person who wants to see the final will travel to the Ards for the game and avail of the great atmosphere generated at the smaller grounds this would be lost in Newry as the football crowd wouldn't turn up until the football match was due to start or would leave straight away afterwards if the hurling game was on second.

buglebhoy

Really looking forward to what should be 2 really hard contested games in pairc esler on sunday! Ballyholland should edge out ballymartin by 3 points with ronan murtagh the star man! don't think ballymartin have anyone to contain murtagh to a low scoring game.

Think longstone can beat burren, burren dont have too many scoring options apart from mckernan and maybe pj mcalinden and longstone have plenty of scoring threat with ambrose back to full fitness!

should be a great day of football in newry

Aristotle Flynn

Still on course for 7/8 on my original predictions but this weekend will sort out the men from the boys. Are Mayobridge still in the PRFC?
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

Guillem2

Tell me your not serious about Paul Branniff playing?
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

charlie stubbs

longstone well priced at 11-8 to beat burren.a number of scoring threats,with prob the quickest forward line in the county.if rodgers can dominate think they have a real chance.though a performance like the one they put in against drumgath in the first half wouldnt do.

agree with an earlier post though that burren would have a greater chance of toppling the bridge.

southdown

Charlie, Longstones league results over the last 2/3 years against the bridge are better than most division 1 sides.  But then last years championship match was another matter.

DownFanatic

Down SFC Semi Finals

Mayobridge v Bryansford

Lets stop friggin' about here. Mayobridge are going to win this game whether they play well or not. Bryansford have a lot of talent but they arent capable up raking up big scores. Again their defence wont be able to cope for a full hour with Benny and co. The Bridge have had a good test against Rostrevor and they will have learnt from that. Bryansford struggled past against a very average United Nations side and havent looked on par with the Bridge all year. Therefore im going for Mayobridge.

Burren v Longstone
A Longstone win here would be the romanticist's dream. To me they are a really exciting team that play a very attractive brand of football. On the otherhand Burren just bore me. They lack a real talisman and seem to operate very defensively. The Stone will be buoyed by their excellent scalp of Kilcoo while Burren wont be short on confidence either. I can see a low scoring game here despite Longstone's excellent forward unit. On the whole though I can see Burren progressing. They are too strong physically and they should be able to shut out the Stone's threats to a reasonable degree.

Down IFC Semi Finals

Ballymartin v Ballyholland
This is a very mouthwatering clash. People are saying that the performance of Ronan Murtagh will determine the outcome of this game. I would disagree. Ballyholland have plenty of other forwards that can rise to the challenge. Ballymartin have been very impressive this year and they'll be wanting to wrong the rights of losing the 2005 Final. Ballyholland have an excellent pedigree in this competition but Ballymartin's new found exuberance might just see them by.

Darragh Cross v Downpatrick
Ive thought about this one for a while. Im going to stick my neck out and go for Darragh Cross. The main reason being that this is do or die for them. They don't have Playoffs to occupy them in the next month and I very much doubt they will want to see their season end here. Downpatrick are in great form but I feel that a return to Division 1 football is their main priority. Ill guarantee you that they will underestimate Darragh. Therefore Im plumping for Darragh Cross.

Down JFC Semi Finals

Bosco v St Michaels

Two very contrasting styles here. Its the skill of Bosco versus the brawn of St Michaels. Bosco may just be a little bit cocky at the moment and they would need to focus solely on this game. St Michaels will not lie down by any means but the Newry side will outplay them for sure. St Micks can be one dimensional at times and their ill-discipline may affect them in this one. Bosco will make the Final.

Drumaness v St Johns
Drumaness are going to obliterate the Johnnies in this one. They pack a far greater punch in every department. Ive love to see the Johnnies win but Drumaness' march to the title won't stop here.