Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: ck on January 15, 2011, 08:31:58 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 15, 2011, 06:57:30 PM
Quote from: ck on January 15, 2011, 05:36:03 PM
Quote from: our_fella on January 15, 2011, 05:04:35 PM
Monaghan 0-9 QUB 0-13

Monaghan have many of their big guns playing? Queen's have any big names?
Sure Finlay and Clerkin are really the only big guns on the entire panel.
Surely Tomas Freeman would fit the bill? Wouldn't really include Dick as a "big gun". What age are those three lads now? Feels if they have been around forever. Must be 30+ Hope you have good youngsters coming through.
What are you talking about? Freeman isn't on the panel. Finlay and Clerkin are the only two on the panel who started last year's Ulster Final. Hence they are the big guns. (And as for Clerkin not being one of Monaghan's 'bug guns', he was our only player on the Ulster All-Stars team last year and was probably our best player.)

ck

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 16, 2011, 01:05:52 PM
Monaghan 0-9 QUB 0-13

Surely Tomas Freeman would fit the bill? Wouldn't really include Dick as a "big gun". What age are those three lads now? Feels if they have been around forever. Must be 30+ Hope you have good youngsters coming through.
What are you talking about? Freeman isn't on the panel. Finlay and Clerkin are the only two on the panel who started last year's Ulster Final. Hence they are the big guns. (And as for Clerkin not being one of Monaghan's 'bug guns', he was our only player on the Ulster All-Stars team last year and was probably our best player.)

Ah right didnt know they were the only two on the McKenna cup panel.
Dick was the only player on the "Ulster All-stars"? What are the Ulster All-stars? That Irish news thing? Wouldnt read too much into that if that's what you are referring to. Yeah he's a decent oul player and good worker but nothing more than that. 

Maguire01

Quote from: ck on January 16, 2011, 01:20:28 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 16, 2011, 01:05:52 PM
Monaghan 0-9 QUB 0-13

Ah right didnt know they were the only two on the McKenna cup panel.
Dick was the only player on the "Ulster All-stars"? What are the Ulster All-stars? That Irish news thing? Wouldnt read too much into that if that's what you are referring to. Yeah he's a decent oul player and good worker but nothing more than that.
It's all relative. You asked me if Monaghan had any of their big guns playing. Clerkin is one of the most important players on Monaghan's team.

ck

ok fair enough. Seeing as Monaghan have quite a few flair players I can see how Dick has more relevance than he would say at Armagh, F'managh or maybe Donegal.
Interesting that he is being used in the McKenna cup, maybe just for fitness reasons.

Maguire01

Quote from: ck on January 16, 2011, 01:59:06 PM
ok fair enough. Seeing as Monaghan have quite a few flair players I can see how Dick has more relevance than he would say at Armagh, F'managh or maybe Donegal.
Interesting that he is being used in the McKenna cup, maybe just for fitness reasons.
I think he just never stops playing. He's one of our players who seems to line out in every competition we play. I doubt he's be struggling for fitness at all.

Also, the idea that he wouldn't make an impression on the Fermanagh or Donegal teams is a bit of a joke, in my opinion.

ck

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 16, 2011, 03:03:06 PM
I think he just never stops playing. He's one of our players who seems to line out in every competition we play. I doubt he's be struggling for fitness at all.

Also, the idea that he wouldn't make an impression on the Fermanagh or Donegal teams is a bit of a joke, in my opinion.

Maguire, would you be the kinda man who always has to win the argument? lol
No-one said he wouldnt make an impression on those teams, I just said he may be more important to Monaghan given that he is surrounded by the likes of flair players like Freeman and Finlay. Other teams substitute this kind of quality with more work horses, like Clerkin.

118cmal

As a Fermanagh person I think Dick Clerkin is quite underrated and I have no doubt he would walk onto the Fermanagh team, and indeed most teams in the country.

Maguire01

Quote from: ck on January 16, 2011, 07:07:18 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 16, 2011, 03:03:06 PM

Maguire, would you be the kinda man who always has to win the argument? lol
No-one said he wouldnt make an impression on those teams, I just said he may be more important to Monaghan given that he is surrounded by the likes of flair players like Freeman and Finlay. Other teams substitute this kind of quality with more work horses, like Clerkin.
There's an argument?!

I'm just not sure I understand your logic.

Onion Bag

Unfortunetly i didnt get to the Armagh match on Saturday evening. just reading the various posts. Rory Grugan by all accounts had a good game, what did he score and where they from play or frees?
how did Gavin Mc Parland get on?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

AFS

Quote from: Onion Bag on January 17, 2011, 09:24:27 AM
Unfortunetly i didnt get to the Armagh match on Saturday evening. just reading the various posts. Rory Grugan by all accounts had a good game, what did he score and where they from play or frees?
how did Gavin Mc Parland get on?

It's not so much the tally he posted that's earning the positive reviews, it was his passing and creativity that set him apart.

Onion Bag

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

AFS

Was alright I think. I was up the opposite end of the field in the first half and kept getting him confused with Watters, but the whole FF line saw a fair bit of ball in the first 20 minutes or so when Armagh were on top. When Down came back into it the supply dried up and he was taken off about 10 minutes into the second half. Should see more game time.

gander

McParland kicked a couple of points and looked pretty good on the ball.  been a long time since we had so many scoring forwards on the panel

tonto1888

Quote from: gander on January 18, 2011, 08:39:11 AM
McParland kicked a couple of points and looked pretty good on the ball.  been a long time since we had so many scoring forwards on the panel

how did padden do?