McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Training is the place to learn those lessons against the best in your sphere. make mistakes trying to do the right things where it doesn't matter.

It matters to a 19 year old defender to be making those mistakes in front of 5000 people

bennydorano

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: whiskeysteve on January 15, 2011, 11:21:35 PM
Quote from: The GAA on January 15, 2011, 10:53:37 PM

My initial comment:

Quote from: The GAA on January 15, 2011, 09:29:53 PM
While its good to see younger lads coming through i couldn't help but feel very sorry for young mckenna tonight. the lad obviously isn't ready for this step up and i think his development will be irreversibly harmed by getting roastings like this.

Was a criticism of the management. It's particularly difficult for a young defender to come into a county senior team. Much easier for a forward. Young McKenna has plenty of potential but throwing him in there – and putting him on martin Clarke – is shocking stuff. That he didn't light the place up is not his fault.

A poster then asked the question about McKenna's performance. He was v v poor. Again, I don't lay any blame at his door. Should I tell lies to protect your sensibilities?

jaysus sake its the feckin mckenna cup. you're meant to throw in the young lads AND onto players like martin clarke. why not?

he'll hardly be stood on a bridge ringing the samaritans after 3 men and a dog watched him getting roasted by clarke on a 15th of feckin january mckenna game. i suppose you could wrap him in cotton wool and only play him in training matches and with a mask on to hide his face

There was a big crowd in Newry tonight. Not every county is like Derry you know.  ;)

I think the important point to make is that defensively Armagh as a unit weren't good enough. As individuals Declan McKenna had a better game than at least one or two of his defensive team-mates. He'll learn and he'll improve. We're a bit stuck for backs at the minute so it may be a steep learning curve but having captained an All Ireland winning team he should have the mentality to handle it.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

fitzroyalty

Quote from: The GAA on January 15, 2011, 11:30:48 PM

Training is the place to learn those lessons against the best in your sphere. make mistakes trying to do the right things where it doesn't matter.

It matters to a 19 year old defender to be making those mistakes in front of 5000 people
He captained Armagh minors to the AI in front of much more - I'm sure he'll cope. Give the man some credit.

Mid Down Gael

The GAA

Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 15, 2011, 11:37:14 PM

He captained Armagh minors to the AI in front of much more - I'm sure he'll cope. Give the man some credit.

This is getting pedantic. i didn't criticise Declan. the fact that anyone played minor football at the highest level is irrelevent to the learning curve of senior football where the scrutiny and quality is much higher. we need our younger players better managed is my point.

Quote from: bennydorano on January 15, 2011, 11:31:55 PM
Did Deccie get the winning point?

No - Shorty Clarke

fan01

yea shorty got the last two scores...he played really welll

pearseog

Quote from: The GAA on January 15, 2011, 11:53:14 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 15, 2011, 11:37:14 PM

This is getting pedantic. i didn't criticise Declan. the fact that anyone played minor football at the highest level is irrelevent to the learning curve of senior football where the scrutiny and quality is much higher. we need our younger players better managed is my point.

Quote from: bennydorano on January 15, 2011, 11:31:55 PM
Did Deccie get the winning point?

No - Shorty Clarke

no it was decky...shorty got the equiliser. very harsh and decky there the gaa. After getting a so called 'roasting' he didnt do too bad putting that winning score over the bar. give the lad time. lets be honest he's not gona be starting come championship this year with the talent we have in the half back line. this is all just a learning curve for him.

The GAA

Fair enough pog - was certain it was shotry but i'm sure a clubmate would know.

pearseog

shortys a clubmate and deckys my mate so had a vested interest in both  ;D

armaghniac

Shorty Clarke got an excellent point, probably the equaliser. Well worth a run out again.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The GAA

I was pleasantly surprised with shorty clarke - showed very well for the ball and there's a good argument for saying he was the difference between the teams at the end

Throw ball

Was at the Armagh Down game and what a fine exhibition of forward play from both sides. A thoroughly enjoyable match which will benefit both teams. As some have already said Clarke and Coulter were superb for Down.

Declan McKenna has been getting some stick on here which I think is surprising as a number of people in the stand around me were commenting how after a slow start he stood up to the plate and showed alot of potential. I also liked that he has the nerve to come up near the end and take the winning score. To me this showed  great leadership from a player making his debut. In all Armagh used 7 players in defensive positions and he definitely was nowhere near the worst and on a par with others.

Although many will disagree I thought Armagh played into Down hands for a period ten minutes from the end of the first half and much of the second half. Down played players back and tried to hit Armagh on the break. This left Armagh on many occasions with only two defenders inside the 45. It was like forget about defending just attack.

As for the forwards they all played well. I would say however that Grugan's vision was superb. It is a long time since Armagh have had a player like him.

Lecale2

dodgy umpire

Quote from: Throw ball on January 16, 2011, 01:44:00 AM
Was at the Armagh Down game and what a fine exhibition of forward play from both sides. A thoroughly enjoyable match which will benefit both teams. As some have already said Clarke and Coulter were superb for Down.

Declan McKenna has been getting some stick on here which I think is surprising as a number of people in the stand around me were commenting how after a slow start he stood up to the plate and showed alot of potential. I also liked that he has the nerve to come up near the end and take the winning score. To me this showed  great leadership from a player making his debut. In all Armagh used 7 players in defensive positions and he definitely was nowhere near the worst and on a par with others.

Although many will disagree I thought Armagh played into Down hands for a period ten minutes from the end of the first half and much of the second half. Down played players back and tried to hit Armagh on the break. This left Armagh on many occasions with only two defenders inside the 45. It was like forget about defending just attack.

As for the forwards they all played well. I would say however that Grugan's vision was superb. It is a long time since Armagh have had a player like him.

He was my M.O.M
The Boys in Red and Black are back