McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Passing_Interest

Is the Armagh v Fermanagh game in Armagh or Cross today boys ?
Nothing but the same old story.........

Shortso79

Trevor Hill

Down v Donegal and Tyrone v Fermanagh on Wednesday night.

Shortso79

Any craic

http://www.youtube.com/user/UlsterGAA - first-half action from Derry v Down in Celtic Park this afternoon.

AFS

Armagh were dreadful today, reminded me of that annihilation by a second string Derry team in Lurgan two or three years ago. I'd usually try to give a more detailed analysis, but there's no point. It was just one of those games when it didn't really happen for anyone. The whole team looked like they'd be on a 10 mile run this morning or something. Fermanagh were fitter, hungrier and mentally sharper. McDonnell and Austin put in decent twenty minute cameos, and Mallon and Toner were alright in the FB line. Apart from that, not many positives. Nearly glad we didn't pull it out of the bag in the end, because Tyrone would've put twenty points on us playing like that.

Team was:

P Hearty
A Mallon
K Toner
P Duffy
S O'Neill (P Kernan, ~45)
B Donaghy
F Moriarty
C Vernon
J Lavery
J O'Neill (R Austin, ~50)
B Mallon
M Mackin
M McNamee (G Swift, ~45)
R Clarke
J Feeney (McDonnell, ~50)

R Henderson came on for about 5 minutes at the end but can't remember who he replaced.

Trevor Hill

Down set up a semi-final against Donegal in the Barrett McKenna Cup on Wednesday night by edging out Derry 1-15 to 1-13 at Celtic Park.

The Mournemen led 0-9 to 0-4 at half-time and Martin Clarke's goal helped extend their lead to 1-11 to 0-5.

But five unanswered points and a Seamus Bradley goal helped Derry draw level before two late Paul McComiskey points helped Down edge the verdict.

Antrim recovered from 0-9 to 0-4 down to beat Queen's 0-15 to 0-14.

Two points by Antrim man Justin Crozier and three James Kielt scores helped Queen's lead by five at half-time at Casement Park.

However, Paddy Cunningham's introduction helped spur a Saffron revival and he and Kevin Brady were on target as Antrim drew level at 0-9 to 0-9.

The sides traded points in the remaining stages with James Loughrey, Brendan Herron, Neil O'Connell and Owen O'Neill on target for the Saffrons.

Queen's second-half scores included Crozier, Mannus Hannick (0-2), Joe Ireland, James Kielt and Declan O'Hagan.

O'Connell notched the winning score for the Saffrons.

At Celtic Park, Derry led 0-2 to 0-1 early on but Down responded with five unanswered points and moved into a 0-9 to 0-4 lead by the interval.

Ronan Murtagh scored three first-half points for the Mournemen while Mark Poland (0-2), Paul McComiskey, Aidan Carr, John Clarke and Callum King were also on target.

Derry's first-half scores came from Seamus Bradley, Liam Hinphey, Raymond Wilkinson and Charlie Kielt.

Down's goal was struck to the net by Martin Clarke on 43 minutes as he slammed home the rebound after Martin Dunne had saved the former Aussie Rules star's penalty.

Another Clarke point extended Down's lead to 1-11 to 0-5 and the game seemed over.

But Derry responded with five straight points, including efforts from Fergal Doherty, Seamus Bradley and captain Gerard O'Kane.

Seamus Bradley's goal on 60 minutes cut Down's lead to 1-12 to 1-10 and scores from Fergal Doherty and Adie McLaughlin then helped Derry draw level at 1-13 to 1-13.

However, McComiskey's two late points enabled Down to edge the verdict.

Down topped Section C with a maximum six points ahead of Antrim (four), Derry (two) and Queen's (nil).

Benny Barnaveld

Quote from: AFS on January 24, 2010, 06:20:08 PM
Armagh were dreadful today, reminded me of that annihilation by a second string Derry team in Lurgan two or three years ago. I'd usually try to give a more detailed analysis, but there's no point. It was just one of those games when it didn’t really happen for anyone. The whole team looked like they'd be on a 10 mile run this morning or something. Fermanagh were fitter, hungrier and mentally sharper. McDonnell and Austin put in decent twenty minute cameos, and Mallon and Toner were alright in the FB line. Apart from that, not many positives. Nearly glad we didn't pull it out of the bag in the end, because Tyrone would've put twenty points on us playing like that.

Team was:

P Hearty
A Mallon
K Toner
P Duffy
S O'Neill (P Kernan, ~45)
B Donaghy
F Moriarty
C Vernon
J Lavery
J O'Neill (R Austin, ~50)
B Mallon
M Mackin
M McNamee (G Swift, ~45)
R Clarke
J Feeney (McDonnell, ~50)

R Henderson came on for about 5 minutes at the end but can't remember who he replaced.

I'm pretty sure Henderson came on for Brian Mallon

Not a bad assessment at all.

Full back line did ok, and was very happy to see Mal Mackin put in as good a performance as anyone.
Austin, P. Kernan and McDonnell all did well when they came on I thought.

I would add that I thought Hearty was awful, lost several high balls, asleep for the goal and a poor kickout gifted a point.
Half back line was very rough. as was the midfield Vernon and Lavery very poor.
Big Ronan Clarke was nowhere near fit, should have been swapped earlier.
McNamee, Feeny, Brian Mallon, J O'Neill non existant. Even holding a ball seemed beyond them.

Armagh had an awful period in the first half that got them behind, but still had numerous chances to win it at the end.

Zapatista

Any word on how Fintona's Aidan McCarron is got on with Fermanagh?

Benny Barnaveld

TacadoirArdMhacha

Pretty poor McKenna Cup from an Armagh perspective. Quite a number of players starting today who'd you'd expect to see in the championship which makes it a bit worrying. 2 poor performances and a win against a very makeshift Monaghan outfit. To be fair, I suppose we don't knwo what's going on in training at the minute and they mightn't be in peak playing condition at the minute depending on what sort of training is being done.

Disappointed to see no Dyas today, would have thought he needs the games. Not a lot to say about the match really. Poor all through the pitch. For someone who seems to get a lot of undeserved stick from Armagh fans, I thought Mal Mackin had a decent game today. O'Rourke's started him int he 3 matches so you'd think he features in his plans. None of the other fringe players who started did much to enhance their propects. Ronan Austin did very well when he came on. Couple of great marks.

Must say that while I like the mark as a concept, it definitely needs tweaked. It was very frustrating to see a player catch the ball and burst forward only to be pulled back for a free. The free kick has to be optional.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Tyrone Dreamer

Will it be tomorrow before the semi venue's are announced? I'm guessing that the venue for the final won't be decided until Thursday. What's the most likely venue for Tyrone Fermanagh?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on January 24, 2010, 07:52:39 PM
Will it be tomorrow before the semi venue's are announced? I'm guessing that the venue for the final won't be decided until Thursday. What's the most likely venue for Tyrone Fermanagh?

Armagh possibly? Probably would make most sense for them to toss for home advantage though.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead