McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigfrank

I hate people that say "oh but 8 of them were from dead balls" zzzzzzzzzzzzzz........they could have been from huge distances...bad angles...wrong side of field for him...wet...cold...windy...last minute kicks.... they still have to be scored and maybe he was fouled for 5 of them????? how can he score from play when he gets fouled everytime.....

RMDrive

Quote from: bigfrank on January 21, 2010, 12:34:09 PM
I hate people that say "oh but 8 of them were from dead balls" zzzzzzzzzzzzzz........they could have been from huge distances...bad angles...wrong side of field for him...wet...cold...windy...last minute kicks.... they still have to be scored and maybe he was fouled for 5 of them????? how can he score from play when he gets fouled everytime.....

Good man Frank! 2 of them were 45's AFAIK.

trileacman

Quote from: RMDrive on January 21, 2010, 12:41:14 PM
Quote from: bigfrank on January 21, 2010, 12:34:09 PM

Good man Frank! 2 of them were 45's AFAIK.

Many kickable frees did he win for himself?? Fair play to him, a savage player, look forward to seeing more of him.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

nrico2006

QuoteI hate people that say "oh but 8 of them were from dead balls" zzzzzzzzzzzzzz........they could have been from huge distances...bad angles...wrong side of field for him...wet...cold...windy...last minute kicks.... they still have to be scored and maybe he was fouled for 5 of them?? how can he score from play when he gets fouled everytime.....

Very true, but maybe someone else was fouled for 5 of them.  They still needs scored but there is a big difference in 2-9 from play and 2-9 from frees.  Puts things in context.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

thewanderer

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 21, 2010, 02:28:26 PM
QuoteI hate people that say "oh but 8 of them were from dead balls" zzzzzzzzzzzzzz........they could have been from huge distances...bad angles...wrong side of field for him...wet...cold...windy...last minute kicks.... they still have to be scored and maybe he was fouled for 5 of them?? how can he score from play when he gets fouled everytime.....

Very true, but maybe someone else was fouled for 5 of them.  They still needs scored but there is a big difference in 2-9 from play and 2-9 from frees.  Puts things in context.
penny pinching it is still some scoring from a class prospect. give him his just congradulations.

wats that 4 ref

Quote from: tyrone86 on January 21, 2010, 11:17:15 AM
Quote from: Shadylimp on January 21, 2010, 10:59:50 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 21, 2010, 09:46:43 AM
Quote from: Tyrones own on January 21, 2010, 05:21:14 AM
Could someone let us in on who it was that made an attempt to defend him  :-\
that's some scoring :o
think it was justy marking him, to be fair it not often anyone gets that kind of score off him!
i think your being harsh on justy now about last night. What is a man to do to stop a player kicking a free kick over the bar? All murphys points were from dead ball situations. From all accounts i've heard, justy did well on him in open play.

8 of Murphy's points were from dead balls, but his second goal was sheer class. In fairness, Justy wasn't at the races last night, I still think he's more valuable out the field.
since when did a free not count as a score, many a team have lost games because of missed free kicks if dublin had scored thier free that hit the post would armagh have won the all ireland that year, if wee peter had missed the 1 he ran 15 yrds in from were the foul was in the ai semi final v armagh ;D ;) would tyrone have won the ai that year, if fermanagh had a free taker they wouldve won an ulster i could go on all night it takes a lot of skill practice and most of all balls :P to be a good free taker and fair play to murphy for scoring 6 and 2 45s so i take it he didnt miss many. sheer class

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: wats that 4 ref on January 21, 2010, 09:29:41 PM
Quote from: tyrone86 on January 21, 2010, 11:17:15 AM
Quote from: Shadylimp on January 21, 2010, 10:59:50 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 21, 2010, 09:46:43 AM
Quote from: Tyrones own on January 21, 2010, 05:21:14 AM
Could someone let us in on who it was that made an attempt to defend him  :-\
that's some scoring :o
think it was justy marking him, to be fair it not often anyone gets that kind of score off him!
i think your being harsh on justy now about last night. What is a man to do to stop a player kicking a free kick over the bar? All murphys points were from dead ball situations. From all accounts i've heard, justy did well on him in open play.

8 of Murphy's points were from dead balls, but his second goal was sheer class. In fairness, Justy wasn't at the races last night, I still think he's more valuable out the field.
since when did a free not count as a score, many a team have lost games because of missed free kicks if dublin had scored thier free that hit the post would armagh have won the all ireland that year, if wee peter had missed the 1 he ran 15 yrds in from were the foul was in the ai semi final v armagh ;D ;) would tyrone have won the ai that year, if fermanagh had a free taker they wouldve won an ulster i could go on all night it takes a lot of skill practice and most of all balls :P to be a good free taker and fair play to murphy for scoring 6 and 2 45s so i take it he didnt miss many. sheer class

I think if you read what was wirtten no one was trying to take away from Murphy. They seemed to be just trying to defend Justy McMahon by pointing out that he has no way of stopping Muphys free's that he doesn't give away. Murphy was very good last night and is a top prospect. Hopefully he sticks at the gaa and isnt tempted by the AFL.

Zapatista

Quote from: wats that 4 ref on January 21, 2010, 09:29:41 PM

Canavan in the 95 final ;) Didn't win anything but he was mighty.

Mourne Rover

Just to point out that Lazer's table from yesterday refers to scoring difference when in fact scoring average (total scored divided by total conceded) is the criteria. The BBC is equally confused, as its website says that a narrow Derry win at Celtic Park on Sunday will put them through, with Down likely to qualify as best runners-up.
By my reckoning, which I'm sure someone can check, a narrow Derry win in a low-scoring game, say 0-10 to 0-09, will still leave Down ahead unless Antrim give Queen's a tanking. In those circumstances, three teams would finish level in group C on four points each.
However, the best runner-up is much more likely to come from group B, as the expected wins for Tyrone (v Cavan) and Donegal (v St Mary's) would leave both on five points.
Fortunately, as it's only the McKenna Cup, none of this matters very much anyway.

thejuice

I dont mean to move away from the discussion of games but I hear they are planning an anti-sectarian sing song before McKenna cup games and players wearing wrist-bands. This is also happening at Irish League games too.

While the instances of sectarianism at GAA matches is minimal, I suppose a message of solidarity with the soccer lads sends a wider message beyond those attending. Or thats what is hoped I guess.

Of course things like the belfast cuchulainns are more effective I feel. Anyway, looking forward to another round of games. I have Down picked to win Ulster this year and I'm watching keenly.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Trevor Hill

Down Manager James Mc Cartan has named a Panel of 24 for Sundays final Dr Mc Kenna Cup Group Match v Derry in Celtic Park.

After two impressive wins against QUB and Antrim, Down will want to conclude their Group games with a win against Derry.

The lads will be well aware of the challenge that faces them as a trip to Celtic Park always proves to be a difficult encounter.

Down Panel (24) for Dr McKenna Cup Group Game vs Derry
Celtic Park
Sunday, 24 January 2010 at 2.00pm

Declan Alder
Brendan McVeigh
Daniel McCartan
Conor Garvey
Damien Rafferty
Kevin Duffin
James Colgan
Aidan Carr
Ambrose Rodgers
Kalum King
Ronan Murtagh
Mark Poland
Peter Fitzpatrick
John Clarke
Michael Magee
Conor Maginn
Kevin McKernan
Martin Cole
Sean Parr
Darren Cunningham
Paul Greenan
Paul McComiskey
Conor Laverty
Martin Clarke

ExiledGael

Quote from: thejuice on January 22, 2010, 04:53:39 PM
I dont mean to move away from the discussion of games but I hear they are planning an anti-sectarian sing song before McKenna cup games and players wearing wrist-bands.

The song in question is going to be Michael Jackson's 'Man in the Mirror".
Could be a world record for the most people saying "What the f**k is that?" at the one time.

maximus

Are the games still on tonight the fog is quite bad in places

Muzz

Tyrone game is on. Delayed by 30 mins due to fog. Ref just made decision to go ahead at 7:30.

stronghold