McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

AFS

Aye, its a nightmare. Don't want to head over the road to find out I've missed the first half, but don't want to arrive early and have to spend an extra half hour in that shitty weather. Think I'll aim for quarter past.

trileacman

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

tyronefan

Monaghan v Armagh  7.30 Inniskeen   

thats for sure

Lawrence of Knockbride

Jeez, looks like I've caused a bit of a stir. I'm going to ring the ground. I'm thinking 7:30

stibhan

Sorry lads, any words of games on the radio? Derry or Downs in particular?

AFS

Armagh team tonight:

1. Philip McEvoy
2. Andy Mallon
3. Kieran Toner
4. Darnell Parkinson
5. Aaron Kernan
6. Paul Magee
7. Paul Duffy
8. Malachy Mackin
9. Ronan Austin (Brendan Donaghy, HT)
10. Charlie Vernon
11. Colm Watters (Jason O'Neill, HT)
12. Kevin Dyas (Michael McNamee, HT)
13. Ryan Henderson (Ronan Clarke, 40)
14. Stephen McDonnell (Brian McCone, 55)
15. Brian Mallon

Despite the final score we were poor until the last 20 minutes.

Toner was really superb at FB and will hopefully stay there. Duffy, Mallon and Kernan also looked very good in the backline. Aaron got a great goal in the first half. Parkinson was alright when moved off Hanratty, deserves more game time. Wasn't overly impressed by Magee.

Midfield struggled. Mackin did some good things but a lot of bad things as well, Austin was fairly anonymous in the first half, and Donaghy looked very out of place in the middle.

Starting HF line was poor enough. Not much could be expected of Dyas straight away I suppose, Watters was very poor, and for every good thing Vernon did he also did one bad thing. McNamee was very good when he came on, would like to see more of him, smart player.

FF line was better. Thought McDonnell looked very sharp, Henderson showed well at times but needs to do more to break into the championship team, and Brian Mallon was busy. A few glimpses of the Clarke and McDonnell partnership of old for about 10 minutes tonight, I've a feeling it could be a big year from those two.

It must be stressed that Monaghan had a very poor team out, so a five point win was the least to be expected.

Shortso79

Was at the match in Inniskeen (after eventually finding it)

Improved performance from Armagh - they showed great energy and movement

Some set up at Inniskeen - fair play to them

Large crowd at the match - decent armagh support

Armagh led 1-5 to 0-6 at halftime - A Kernan with a sublime goal finish in the first half

Thought K Toner at Full Back had a great match

Armagh turned the screw in the 2nd half - but in fairness to Monaghan they had a few players missing

Stevie got the second goal - delightful through ball from Mickey McNamee

Clarkie came on on the second half also

It ended up Armagh 2-13 Monaghan 1-11

Per me the Armagh scorers (seven different scorers)

Stevie Mc 1-04
Aaron K  1-03
Mal Mackin 0-02
Mickey McNamee 0-01
Ronan Clarke 0-01
James O'Neill 0-01
Charlie Vernon 0-01

Aaron Boone

Dreadful result for Cavan v St Mary's - Tyrone bate them by 16 last Sunday.
No point saying Tom Carr out as who'd seriously want the job.

screenexile

Sounds like Donegal v Tyrone was an absolut clinker!! Anyone at it??

Anyway here's from the BBC:

Donegal draw with Tyrone in a Dr McKenna Cup thriller

Michael Murphy and Martin Penrose both produced scoring exhibitions as Donegal fought back to earn a 2-17 to 4-11 draw against Tyrone in the McKenna Cup.

Penrose hit three Tyrone goals in the first half as the Red Hands led 3-8 to 1-9 at half-time.

But Murphy's tally of 2-9 helped Donegal fight back to earn a draw.

In the other Group B game, Gareth Smith's penalty put Cavan 1-5 to 0-6 ahead at half-time but Darren Gibson's goal helped St Mary's win 1-12 to 1-8.

Gibson's goal came in second-half injury after Cavan had wilted.

Smith slotted his penalty in the fourth minute and the sides traded points during the remainder of the opening period.

However after scoring 1-4 in the first half, Smith was strangely substituted at the break.

His replacement Mark McKeever increased Cavan's lead to three but St Mary's dominated the remainder of the contest with Kevin Niblock finishing with a tally of 0-4.

Gibson's goal made the game safe for St Mary's.

At Ballybofey, Penrose fired in unstoppable goals in the fourth, 20th and 41st minutes to put Tyrone in the driving seat.

Murphy had fisted home an eighth-minute goal for Donegal, but it was the Red Hands who led by 3-8 to 1-9 at half-time.

Kyle Coney came off the bench to hot a fourth Tyrone goal but Murphy's brilliant second secured a draw for the home side.

Barrett Lighting McKenna Cup results

Group A

Monaghan 1-11 2-13 Armagh

Fermanagh 1-13 1-12 UUJ

Group B

Cavan 1-08 1-12 St Mary's

Donegal 2-17 4-11 Tyrone

Group C

Down 0-19 1-11 Antrim

Derry 4-16 1-07 Queen's

dundrumite

Quote from: AFS on January 20, 2010, 10:39:23 PM
Armagh team tonight:

1. Philip McEvoy
2. Andy Mallon
3. Kieran Toner
4. Darnell Parkinson
5. Aaron Kernan
6. Paul Magee
7. Paul Duffy
8. Malachy Mackin
9. Ronan Austin (Brendan Donaghy, HT)
10. Charlie Vernon
11. Colm Watters (Jason O'Neill, HT)
12. Kevin Dyas (Michael McNamee, HT)
13. Ryan Henderson (Ronan Clarke, 40)
14. Stephen McDonnell (Brian McCone, 55)
15. Brian Mallon

Despite the final score we were poor until the last 20 minutes.

Toner was really superb at FB and will hopefully stay there. Duffy, Mallon and Kernan also looked very good in the backline. Aaron got a great goal in the first half. Parkinson was alright when moved off Hanratty, deserves more game time. Wasn't overly impressed by Magee.

Midfield struggled. Mackin did some good things but a lot of bad things as well, Austin was fairly anonymous in the first half, and Donaghy looked very out of place in the middle.

Starting HF line was poor enough. Not much could be expected of Dyas straight away I suppose, Watters was very poor, and for every good thing Vernon did he also did one bad thing. McNamee was very good when he came on, would like to see more of him, smart player.

FF line was better. Thought McDonnell looked very sharp, Henderson showed well at times but needs to do more to break into the championship team, and Brian Mallon was busy. A few glimpses of the Clarke and McDonnell partnership of old for about 10 minutes tonight, I've a feeling it could be a big year from those two.

It must be stressed that Monaghan had a very poor team out, so a five point win was the least to be expected.

Is that Paul Magee Sarsfields?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Must say I was quite encouraged by Armagh tonight. McDonnell was very good, looked very eager, out in front every time and took his goal well as well as a few lovely points from play. Aaron Kernan was excellent coming forward and shoul surely be tried in the half forwards in the League.  Thought McNamee did well when he came on - both the goals were as a result of great moves.

In defence, Toner looked good in the full back position most of us have been suggesting for the past year or so and Andy Mallon gave his usual excellent performance. One of the debutants in particular struggled but I wouldn't want to be too harsh on somebody's first appearance in the jersey.

Overall, a good performance and if we beat Fermanagh on Sunday we've every chance of qualifying given tonight's result.

Aaron Boone

Any mathematicians with the semi permutations?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Aaron Boone on January 20, 2010, 11:56:25 PM
Any mathematicians with the semi permutations?

Not sure of the exact permutations but it looks like the best 2nd placed team making the semi-finals will be from Group B.