McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

No question about it Brian was outstanding. Coney needs to learn a bit more about teamwork but wS very good nonetheless. Thought McKenna had solid debut as well. SON a cut above also.

trileacman

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on January 17, 2010, 04:47:13 PM
A romp in the park for tyrone today.  Coney awarded MOTM, very good so he was but really should have went to Brian McGuigan, simply outstanding, man is a class act and is in great shape for this time of the year, different sauce altogether.  Tyrone very strong squad, going to be hard to pick national league / championship team the year!!
Dont f**king jinx him!! Glad to see McGuigan do well though. Any chance of rankings for the players?? Any in depth analysis??
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Carmen Stateside

wdusln

Curran, McNabb,McKeown,Swift,Carlin,Justin McM,Sean O'Neill,Cassidy,Murphy,McKenna,Brian McGuigan,Coney,McCusker,Stephen O'Neill,Mark Donnelly.
there were 23 tyrone men on the field at one stage!

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on January 17, 2010, 05:40:57 PM
What team started for tyrone today?

J Curran

R McNabb
M Mc Keown
M Swift

S O'Neill
Justin Mc Mahon
D Carlin

M Murphy
A Cassidy

N McKenna
B NcGuigan
??????????

K Coney
Steven O'Neill
M Donnelly

Subs

T MgCuigan for K Coney
K Hughes for A Cassidy
M Penrose for N McKenna

Cant for the life of me remember who else was in the HF line.

Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

never kickt a ball

Antrim edge out Derry at Casement

Antrim clinched a 3-7 to 0-15 victory over the Oak Leafers in Sunday's Barrett Electrical Dr McKenna Cup Group C clash at Casement Park. Michael McCann and Michael Magill hit the net for Antrim but it was even at the break at 2-4 to 0-10. Ciaran Close's goal put the hosts three points ahead in the last 10 minutes and Antrim held on for a narrow win.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8464389.stm

Published: 2010/01/17 16:24:57 GMT

© BBC MMX

never kickt a ball

J Curran

R McNabb
M Mc Keown
M Swift

S O'Neill
Justin Mc Mahon
D Carlin

M Murphy
A Cassidy

N McKenna
B NcGuigan
K Coney

E McCusker
Steven O'Neill
M Donnelly

Subs

T MgCuigan for K Coney
K Hughes for A Cassidy
M Penrose for N McKenna

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: trileacman on January 17, 2010, 05:06:31 PM
Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on January 17, 2010, 04:47:13 PM
A romp in the park for tyrone today.  Coney awarded MOTM, very good so he was but really should have went to Brian McGuigan, simply outstanding, man is a class act and is in great shape for this time of the year, different sauce altogether.  Tyrone very strong squad, going to be hard to pick national league / championship team the year!!
Dont f**king jinx him!! Glad to see McGuigan do well though. Any chance of rankings for the players?? Any in depth analysis??

Curran = 7...steady, not overly tested

Swift = 7..done rightly on CJ who was there only scorer in the 1st half

McKeown = 6....got sandwiched and had to be withdrawn early in the 1st half, took a heavy knock

Carlin = 6..bit off the pace but its early, no raiding runs like he is renowed for. fitness will improve in the next fews weeks so will see a big improvement

McNabb = 6..first game at county so its a right step up and it showed a bit.  never got tight to marty murry but kicked a lovely score himself.  wouldnt be to hard on a young player just yet, game at this level will have done him no harm

Justin McMahon = 7...steady, the usual from McMahon, silky on the ball, didnt over exert but looks quality

Sean red Oneill = 7 good player, good passing, good ball carrier, solid stuff

Mickey Murphy = 8 kicked a point or 2, very strong got, if can keep injury free will be a good asset

Cassidy = 8 took three marks from kick outs, good use of the ball, good ball carrier.

McKenna = 7, kicked a good score, didnt look out of place, came into it more as game went on, slow start

B McGuigan = 11, superb performace, kicked 4/5 points, set up numerous others, got up and down the field, won break ball, use of the ball was top drawer, dont think he made a mistake.  He was always on the ball as well, class stuff.

K Coney = 9 some lovely scores, looked in the mood, lovely lazy looking left peg on him, the boy has a bit of quality about him.  rated highly in ardboe and if perform like this for tyrone on a regular basis he will have a lot more fans from outside ardboe

M Donnelly = 6 done ok, was out in front most of the time but didnt offer a massive threat scoring wise. used the ball well

S Oneill = 8 didnt touch leather for 20 minutes, first touch was a point, 2nd touch was another point.  Good second half, few more scores out of him, pushing boys off the ball, what more can one say about SON

E McCusker = 8 very good, won ball, strong kicked 3 or 4 points, very good outing

Subs

E McGinely = not on long enough to be rated
Hub Hughes = 7 kicked nice score off the LEFT peg
McElholm = 7 replaced mckeown first half, didnt have much to do, what a size of a man!!
cant mind the other 2 subs who came on  ???
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

never kickt a ball

Coney stars in Red Hands victory

Kyle Coney made a triumphant Tyrone debut as the Red Hands hammered St Mary's 0-26 to 0-10 in the Barrett Sports Lighting McKenna Cup game. Coney, who turned his back on an AFL career with Sydney Swans, scored five points in the rout at Healy Park. Tyrone led by 0-14 to 0-2 at half-time, and had 12 different players on the scoresheet in an impressive display. Donegal defeated Cavan 0-11 to 0-9 in Saturday night's Group B opener at Breffni Park. Cavan led 0-4 to 0-3 at the break but two points from Michael Murphy, who came off the bench, changed the course of the game. Gareth Smyth was the top-scorer for Cavan with seven points while Gareth Concarr was Donegal's most impressive player, scoring three points. Stephen O'Neill also scored five points for Tyrone in Omagh, with Brian McGuigan notching four and Eoin McCusker three.

Substititute Brian Doyle, with four, was the students' top scorer, while CJ McGourty hit three points.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8464411.stm

Published: 2010/01/17 16:45:02 GMT

© BBC MMX

never kickt a ball

Ernemen beat Monaghan in McKenna

Fermanagh got their Barrett Sports Lighting McKenna Cup campaign off to a winning start with victory over Monaghan on Sunday. The Erne county secured a 0-12 to 0-8 win in the Group A encounter at Brewster Park.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8464502.stm

Published: 2010/01/17 17:50:50 GMT

© BBC MMX

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on January 17, 2010, 05:51:58 PM
Curran = 7...steady, not overly tested

Swift = 7..done rightly on CJ who was there only scorer in the 1st half

McKeown = 6....got sandwiched and had to be withdrawn early in the 1st half, took a heavy knock

Carlin = 6..bit off the pace but its early, no raiding runs like he is renowed for. fitness will improve in the next fews weeks so will see a big improvement

McNabb = 6..first game at county so its a right step up and it showed a bit.  never got tight to marty murry but kicked a lovely score himself.  wouldnt be to hard on a young player just yet, game at this level will have done him no harm

Justin McMahon = 7...steady, the usual from McMahon, silky on the ball, didnt over exert but looks quality

Sean red Oneill = 7 good player, good passing, good ball carrier, solid stuff

Mickey Murphy = 8 kicked a point or 2, very strong got, if can keep injury free will be a good asset

Cassidy = 8 took three marks from kick outs, good use of the ball, good ball carrier.

McKenna = 7, kicked a good score, didnt look out of place, came into it more as game went on, slow start

B McGuigan = 11, superb performace, kicked 4/5 points, set up numerous others, got up and down the field, won break ball, use of the ball was top drawer, dont think he made a mistake.  He was always on the ball as well, class stuff.

K Coney = 9 some lovely scores, looked in the mood, lovely lazy looking left peg on him, the boy has a bit of quality about him.  rated highly in ardboe and if perform like this for tyrone on a regular basis he will have a lot more fans from outside ardboe

M Donnelly = 6 done ok, was out in front most of the time but didnt offer a massive threat scoring wise. used the ball well

S Oneill = 8 didnt touch leather for 20 minutes, first touch was a point, 2nd touch was another point.  Good second half, few more scores out of him, pushing boys off the ball, what more can one say about SON

E McCusker = 8 very good, won ball, strong kicked 3 or 4 points, very good outing

Subs

E McGinely = not on long enough to be rated
Hub Hughes = 7 kicked nice score off the LEFT peg
McElholm = 7 replaced mckeown first half, didnt have much to do, what a size of a man!!
cant mind the other 2 subs who came on  ???

Thanks for that DD12, that's seriously encouraging, even at this very early stage, with so many new faces putting in such a devastating performance.

Young Cassidy making a mockery of the new experimental 'mark'?  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

charlie linkbox

The game in Enniskillen was atrocious. Not one positive to take from Monaghan's display today. Fermanagh had three gilt-edged goal chances in the first half and could have been out of sight by then. Some of the ways they messed up these chances were comical!

For us Hugh McElroy and Marty McElroy were alright I suppose. Hughie won a fair bit of the ball that went into him and Martin got on a lot of ball too. Kieran Hughes has a bit of football in him too and could come good given time (but not in the full back line). But I can't make a case for any of the rest of them who lined out today. I don't see any of them remotely pusing for a starting place when the serious stuff gets going. 

Of particular concern is the dearth of midlfield talent in our county. We were cleaned out again in this sector. I had high hopes for Francis Caulfield in this area but he only lasted til half time and I'd have taken him off long before then.

I know it's only the first game of the year and rustiness is to be expected but all today did was reinforce my long-held belief that we have about 17 - 18 players of intercounty standard in Monaghan and that's it. The rest are making up the numbers.

Zapatista

Good to hear about Coney there. He came in for a bit of flack playing for Arboe in 09 and it's good to know he started well in 10 at this level.

FermGael

Quote from: charlie linkbox on January 17, 2010, 07:01:56 PM
The game in Enniskillen was atrocious. Not one positive to take from Monaghan's display today. Fermanagh had three gilt-edged goal chances in the first half and could have been out of sight by then. Some of the ways they messed up these chances were comical!

For us Hugh McElroy and Marty McElroy were alright I suppose. Hughie won a fair bit of the ball that went into him and Martin got on a lot of ball too. Kieran Hughes has a bit of football in him too and could come good given time (but not in the full back line). But I can't make a case for any of the rest of them who lined out today. I don't see any of them remotely pusing for a starting place when the serious stuff gets going. 

Of particular concern is the dearth of midlfield talent in our county. We were cleaned out again in this sector. I had high hopes for Francis Caulfield in this area but he only lasted til half time and I'd have taken him off long before then.

I know it's only the first game of the year and rustiness is to be expected but all today did was reinforce my long-held belief that we have about 17 - 18 players of intercounty standard in Monaghan and that's it. The rest are making up the numbers.

did not make the game today.  Any of the Fermanagh men impress??
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Maguire01

Quote from: charlie linkbox on January 17, 2010, 07:01:56 PM

Agree with a lot of that. If Fermanagh were able to shoot at all they could have won this by 10.

The only positive is that this wasn't really a Monaghan team at all - apart from Clerkin (for 20 mins) Hanratty and McArdle, there weren't any other regulars were there? I really don't see the point in putting out a team with 12 new players. The whole point of these games should be to integrate a handful of new players into the current team. We don't need another 12 players, we need another 5 probably, but we need to see them playing as part of the actual team. We need 5/6 new players playing alongside the likes of Finlay, McQuaid, Freeman etc.

I thought the pick of a bad bunch were Kieran Hughes and Hugh McElroy (when he actually got the ball). McArdle looked in decent enough shape too - i'd imagine he was the oldest man on the field by a good bit!

Hanratty was a disaster. I've defended him many times, but today he was awful. When he gets possession, he's going to shoot no matter where he is - he never looks up for another player. He had a chance on goal when he shot over the bar, but if he had passed it across the face of the goal there was another player who could have had it in the back of the net.

As for Clerkin's red card, from what I saw it was a bit harsh. The Fermanagh player went flying, but i'm not sure there was anything in it other than two players colliding.

With regard to the new rules, I think i counted either 3 or 4 marks in the whole game, so it didn't make much difference.

Who was the ref? And what was he doing giving Fermanagh 2 chances to take that free (two from the 13m line and both of them wide!)?