McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: down6061689194 on January 16, 2010, 08:42:03 PM
Good show by down in cold conditions. Marty clarke was the highlight with some good scores. For me laverty showed Again he isn't up to scratch, going out of his way to fight costello and being lost in the forwRd line.
[/
?

the man won a penalty and was very involved and was as dangerous as any off our other inside men. Give the man a break and catch a grip.

dundrumite

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on January 16, 2010, 10:36:01 PM
Good show by down in cold conditions. Marty clarke was the highlight with some good scores. For me laverty showed Again he isn't up to scratch, going out of his way to fight costello and being lost in the forwRd line.
[/
?

the man won a penalty and was very involved and was as dangerous as any off our other inside men. Give the man a break and catch a grip.

Too be fair he was being literally being grabbed by the shirt and wrestled and the ref done fook all about it.
He gets some ridiculous bad press, few teenage Down fans in front of me were hoping " that yer Queens man would empty him." DOWN FANS  :o unreal.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 16, 2010, 08:59:29 PM
Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 16, 2010, 08:30:10 PM
UUJ beat Armagh in McKenna opener

UUJ defeated Armagh 0-16 to 1-12 in Group A of the Barrett Electrical Dr McKenna Cup at Crossmaglen on Saturday. Brian McCone's 16th-minute goal gave Armagh a five-point lead but UUJ hit back with six unanswered points to draw level at 1-6 to 0-9 at half-time. Jason McAnulla put UUJ in front with the first score of the second half and remained ahead until the final whistle. Steven McDonnell had a chance to level with the last kick of the game but sent his free wide.

Paddy O'Rourke out!
:D
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

behind the wire

Quote from: dundrumite on January 17, 2010, 12:41:47 AM
[/
?

Too be fair he was being literally being grabbed by the shirt and wrestled and the ref done fook all about it.
He gets some ridiculous bad press, few teenage Down fans in front of me were hoping " that yer Queens man would empty him." DOWN FANS  :o unreal.

sounds bad but i still think thats exactly what the queens player should have done. not sure what his obsession is with fighting.

decent enough run out. dont think queens will be anywhere near the running for sigerson this year, hope im wrong though.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: behind the wire on January 17, 2010, 10:46:57 AM
[/
?

sounds bad but i still think thats exactly what the queens player should have done. not sure what his obsession is with fighting.

decent enough run out. dont think queens will be anywhere near the running for sigerson this year, hope im wrong though.

Well costello should stop using his nipping and pulling tactics and he will not get a slap. Lavertys movement is hard to stop and he is very hard to mark but no player should be nipped constantly. Laverty has that determination that is needed and too many Down players in recent years havent got. He is good enough. end off. he has proved it at county under 21s a few seasons ago when he was Downs best player and consistently for Kilcoo in Downs top flight. Last night he made 2 points and won a penalty when on pitch for twenty minutes and as dundrumite said he was being grabbed and the ref done nothing which was a clear free in. Some Down supporters are hard to please, we get a rare 12 point win and some ejits come onto this board to single out one particular man who played well. Wise yourselves up. Tyrone fans get behing their fighting, in your face players as do Armagh.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on January 16, 2010, 09:17:34 PM
Could anyone post the UUJ team please? Thanks.

S Kane, A Girvan, S Mulligan, G McCartan, C Bayne (0-1), E Kenny, G McCartan, D Hughes (0-1), C O'Boyle (0-4), P Hughes (0-1), M Gottche, J Clarke (0-4, 4f), J McAnulla (0-1), S Forker (0-4, 3f), D McNulty.

Subs: D Mulholland for McCartan, T McCann for McNulty, C Nolan for Clarke.

Shortso79

Heading to the Monaghan Armagh match this Wednesday

What's the best way to Inniskeen from Newry ?

dodgy umpire

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on January 17, 2010, 11:14:21 AM
[/
?

Well costello should stop using his nipping and pulling tactics and he will not get a slap. Lavertys movement is hard to stop and he is very hard to mark but no player should be nipped constantly. Laverty has that determination that is needed and too many Down players in recent years havent got. He is good enough. end off. he has proved it at county under 21s a few seasons ago when he was Downs best player and consistently for Kilcoo in Downs top flight. Last night he made 2 points and won a penalty when on pitch for twenty minutes and as dundrumite said he was being grabbed and the ref done nothing which was a clear free in. Some Down supporters are hard to please, we get a rare 12 point win and some ejits come onto this board to single out one particular man who played well. Wise yourselves up. Tyrone fans get behing their fighting, in your face players as do Armagh.

How could you see that from the stand?
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: dodgy umpire on January 17, 2010, 11:37:36 AM
[/
?

Well it was clear to see he was holding and i got confirmation from the player on recieving end.

dodgy umpire

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on January 17, 2010, 11:49:46 AM
[/
?

Well it was clear to see he was holding and i got confirmation from the player on recieving end.

In fairness MDG Lavery is known for being a cute player himself so in all probability it was a case of both players  letting each other know they were there and its not fair to blame costello for what was a minor incident

The Boys in Red and Black are back

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: dodgy umpire on January 17, 2010, 12:04:57 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on January 17, 2010, 11:49:46 AM
[/
?

In fairness MDG Lavery is known for being a cute player himself so in all probability it was a case of both players  letting each other know they were there and its not fair to blame costello for what was a minor incident

Thats fair enough and i agree it takes two. I rate him a decent defender and will be close to starting on county under 21 defence this year.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Shortso79 on January 17, 2010, 11:33:24 AM

Guessing head to Cross, take the Sheilagh road, turn left at the T-junction and its signposted?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

down6061689194

[/
?

Costello probably did something to upset him but what if Down are in the ulster final, someone gives him a nip, he digs him and we're down to 14. He was up for a fight against Bryansford too when I seen him.

Would be very surprised if he is entrusted with any serious role in this years championship.

AFS

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 17, 2010, 01:10:16 PM
Quote from: Shortso79 on January 17, 2010, 11:33:24 AM

Guessing head to Cross, take the Sheilagh road, turn left at the T-junction and its signposted?

Quicker to head through Forkhill, then onto to Hackballscross.

mackers

The Armagh Poly match was uninspiring stuff, as others have said few players played well. Joe Feeney did OK, thought Malachy Mackin did well when he was on but still refuses to even try to catch the simplest pass let alone kickouts. Thought Jaimie Clarke showed well for the Poly, Forker did nothing in general play. Interesting to see AK go to CHF when he came on.
On the rules, the mark is never going to change a game mainly because there isn't that many in a game but I still like to see clean catching rewarded and when the "free" was awarded it didn't stop play like some have said it would. It will also show which midfielders can kick pass accurately or not as James Lavery showed. The "fist pass" rule is going to be frustrating especially when things get competitive in the league, the ref seemed to blow up every fist pass at one stage even when he was 20/30 yards away and couldn't possibly see whether the action was correct or not. The referee listed for the match was Martin Higgins and if it was him I'm not surprised by some of the decisions.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.