McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

New Down manager James McCartan has named a 44-man training panel as preparations begin for the beginning of Dr McKenna Cup hostilities in the New Year. McCartan replaced former county teammate Ross Carr in the top job earlier this year. His first task is to mould a panel strong enough to challenge for Ulster Championship honours once more, and he has named a 44-strong panel which will be whittled down ahead of the beginning of the National Football League Division 2 campaign in February.
Many of those selected have extensive intercounty experience but there are newcomers including Liam Lennon of Castlewellan, Loughinisland goalkeeper Kieran Gordon and Bryansford's Stevie Toner.
Returned Aussie Rules ace Martin Clarke is included alongside his brother John, while key men such as midfielder Dan Gordon and forward Benny Coulter are present and correct.

The full panel is:

Brendan McVeigh, Declan Alder, Kieran Gordon, Michael McAllister, Martin Cole, Stevie Toner, Dan McCartan, Liam Lennon, Kevin Duffin, Declan Rooney, Ciaran McGovern, Damien Rafferty, Aidan Brannigan, Mark Doran, Paul Murphy, Gerard McCartan, Conor Garvey, Sean Parr, Kevin McKernan, James Colgan, Timmy Hanna, Liam Doyle, Darren Cunningham, Dan Gordon, Ambrose Rogers, Paul Greenan, Mark McClean, Peter Fitzpatrick, Kevin Anderson, Conor Maginn, Brendan McArdle, Martin Clarke, Mark Poland, Ronan Sexton, Danny Hughes, Stephen Kearney, Aidan Carr, James McGovern, Paul McCumiskey, Benny Coulter, Conor Laverty, John Clarke, Ronan Murtagh, Michael Magee.

never kickt a ball

Carr reveals McKenna Cup squad

16 December 2009

Cavan boss Tommy Carr has revealed his 30-man panel for next month's Dr McKenna Cup campaign. Team captain Ronan Flanagan and star forward Sean Johnston are amongst those who will miss out from the squad due to commitments with their college. There are a number of new faces which have been drafted into the panel, including new Oliver Plunkett's recruit Gareth 'Nesty' Smith, Ballinagh's Allen Durkan and young Belturbet attacker Brendan Fitzpatrick.  All three were involved in last Friday night's charity fight night, which saw 14 bouts of Cavan players going toe-to-toe in three minute-and-a-half rounds in aid of the BabyMax Wings of Love Charity and the Kelvin Brady Treatment Fund.  The event, which was excellently organised in the Imperial Bar Hotel in Cavan town, allowed the players to demonstrate their fitness and skills obtained from weeks of training with the Cavan boxing club during the months of the GAA's collective training ban.  Cavan's 2010 season starts on January 10 when they travel to Healy Park in Omagh to take on Tyrone in the opening round of the Dr McKenna Cup.

Cavan McKenna Cup squad: Darren Murphy (Drumlane), Fintan Reilly (Redhills), Declan Reilly (Bailieborough), Eoin McGuigan (Belturbet), John McCutcheon (Cootehill), Mark Johnson (Cornafean), Killian Lynch (Cuchullains), Eoin McPhilips (Denn), Martin Cahill (Denn), Michael Hannon (Drumgoon), Dane O'Dowd (Drumlane), Mark McKeever (Gowna), Eoin Smith (Killygarry), Alan Clarke (Kingscourt), Joey Jordan (Lavey), Allen Durkan (Ballinagh), Tomas Corr (Denn), Ciaran Galligan (Drung), Donal Thomas (Killygarry), John Cunningham (Swanlinbar), Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar), Brendan Fitzpatrick (Belturbet), Sean Brady (Castlerahan), Michael Lyng (Cavan Gaels), Nicholas Walsh (Cavan Gaels), Conor Smith (Cuchullains), Gareth Smith (Oliver Plunketts), Eddie O'Reilly (Mullahoran), John McCabe (Munterconnacht), Stephen Jordan (Lavey).

http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=121785

timmyot501

Monaghan McKenna Cup squad

S Gorman (Ballybay)
Drew Wylie (Ballybay)
P Finlay
D McArdle
M McElroy
C Hanratty
D Malone
Kieran Hughes
D Morgan
F Caulfield
Neil McAdam
M McKenna
P Meegan
Gavin Doogan
S Duffy
D Freeman
T Freeman
R Woods
Aiden Farmer
H McElroy
O Duffy
C Walshe (Doohamlet)
C Greenan
JP Mone
V Corey
B McKenna
D Clerkin
G McQuaid
S Gollogy
M McNally

never kickt a ball

UUJ boss happy to release quartet
18 December 2009

UUJ manager Adrian McGuckin will be allowing four of his players to turn out for their counties in the Dr McKenna Cup. The three universities competing in Ulster's pre-season football competition - UUJ, Queen's and St. Mary's - have first call on players, but McGuckin has agreed to release Donal Morgan (Monaghan), Liam Hinphey (Derry), Sean O'Neill and Ronan McNabb (both Tyrone) to their respective county sides, taking the view that some give and take could prove advantageous in the long run. "Sometimes it is of benefit further down the line to play for your county in the McKenna Cup," he told the Irish News. "In fairness, it hasn't been too much of a problem over the last few years and if you can come to some sort of an agreement with the county managers, it can work out well for everyone." Although he will unavailable for UUJ in January, McGuckin will be relieved to see Derry dual star Hinphey back in action after he missed their recent successful Ryan Cup campaign through injury. "Liam had his first training session on Thursday, so I am just crossing my fingers that he isn't sore from it. "Conor McManus broke his hand while Clontibret were in Ulster, but we are hoping to have him back in mid-January. He may play all the games and we are hoping to have him for at least one. Dessie Mone played through Clontibret's campaign with a stomach muscle injury, and we are looking to have him back in time as well. "Timmy Hanna is another boy on the way back and Colm Cavanagh is doing his own rehab after ankle surgery, hopefully in the New Year he will be able to take part in some on-field training because he isn't fit for it just yet."

http://www.hoganstand.com/Tyrone/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=121860

Maguire01

Good to see H McElroy in the Monaghan squad. He's dropped out before, but he's always had great potential.

Where has Downey gone to?

Anyone got any info on the new recruits? Living outside of the county i'm removed from club action.

never kickt a ball

McEnaney drops nephew from squad
17 December 2009

Monaghan manager Seamus McEnaney has displayed his ruthless streak by omitting his nephew Gary McEnaney, along with five other players, from his McKenna Cup squad. A son of top referee Pat McEnaney, Gary McEnaney is one of six players who have not been invited back onto the squad for the pre-season competition which gets underway on January 10. The other five players who have been overlooked are: Paul McGuigan, Eddie Lennon, Raymond Ronaghan, Shane Smyth and Padraic McBennett. The manager has included 11 inter-county rookies in his new-look squad. They are: Sean Gorman, Drew Wylie, Martin McElroy, Francis Caulfield, Matthew McKenna, Gavin Doogan, Aiden Farmer, Colin Walshe, Colm Greenan, Dermot Malone and Mark McNally. "We like to freshen things up on a regular basis as best we can," McEnaney said. "As we have trawled through the county, we are very happy with the level of commitment, enthusiasm and the desire to wear the Monaghan jersey that has come from the 11 players who we have picked."

Monaghan (McKenna Cup squad): S Gorman, Drew Wylie, P Finlay (Ballybay); D McArdle, M McElroy, C Hanratty, D Malone (Castleblayney); Kieran Hughes, D Morgan, F Caulfield (Scotstown); Neil McAdam (Monaghan Harps); M McKenna, P Meegan (Inniskeen); Gavin Doogan, S Duffy, D Freeman, T Freeman (Magheracloone); R Woods (Donaghmoyne); Aiden Farmer, H McElroy, O Duffy (Latton); C Walshe (Doohamlet), C Greenan, JP Mone, V Corey (Clontibret); B McKenna (Emyvale); D Clerkin (Currin); G McQuaid (Tyholland); S Gollogy, M McNally (Carrickmacross).
http://www.hoganstand.com/Monaghan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=121811

Tyrone Dreamer

I see Tyrone's first game v Cavan has been moved to the Saturday. Really can't understand the logic behind these Saturday night games (unless for tv) especially in Janaury. Tyrone's attendances have been well below average on Saturday nights. Not many people fancy heading out late on a dark winters night and it cuts out away fans in most cases.

never kickt a ball

Donaghy is named Armagh captain

Brendan Donaghy is to deputise as Armagh captain during the McKenna Cup because regular skipper Ciaran McKeever is out with a cruciate ligament injury. McKeever, Martin O'Rourke, Stephen Kernan and Paul Courtney have all been left out of the Orchard County squad while they recover from injuries. Former Minor star Kevin Dyas is in the panel after spending two seasons with Aussie Rules club Collingwood. Armagh start their campaign against Fermanagh at Crossmaglen on 10 January.
Other former Minor players making the step-up to the senior squad include Martin Ferris, Colm Watters, Joe Feeney, Paul Magee, Adrian Conlon and Jason O'Neill. They impressed during trials held by new Armagh manager Paddy O'Rourke.
Story from BBC SPORT: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8422436.stm

Paul Hearty     P Ó hAghartaigh     Raonaithe na Croise
Martin Ferris    M Mac Fheoraois    Naomh Padraig Carraig Ropáin
Paul Kernan    P Mac Thiarnáin    Raonaithe na Croise
Paul Magee    P Mac Aoidh    Sáirséiligh na Móinte Arda
Shane O'Neill       S Ó Néill    Naomh Padraig Droim an Tí
Vincent Martin      U Ó Mairtín    Naomh Padraig Droim an Tí
Darnell Parkinson      D Mac Peáircín    Na Piarsaigh Óga Ard Mhacha
Malachy Mackin     M Ó Maicín    Naomh Padraig Coilleach Eannach
Ronan Austin                R Mac Aibhistín    Clan na Gael An Lorgain
Michael McNamee        M Mac Conmidhe    Raonaithe na Croise
Colm Watters      C Mac Uaitéir    Na Gormacha Baile Mhic Cullaigh
Jason O'Neill      S Ó Néill    Naomh Mhuire An Gráinne Mór
Tony Kernan    A Mac Thiarnáin    Raonaithe na Croise
Joe Feeney     S Ó Fianaí    Ropairí na Madán
Brian McCone         B Mac Comhain    Na Cloigthithe Baile Mhic an Aba
Philip McAvoy      P Mac Fhíobhúi    Naomh Padraig Droim an Tí
Kevin Dyas            C Mac Diais    Naomh Padraig Droim an Tí
Ryan Henderson     R Mac Éinrí    Clann Éireann An Lorgain
Brian Mallon       B Ó Mealain    Tír na nÓg Port An Dúnáin
Gareth Swift    G Ó Fuada    Clairsígh Ard Mhacha
Brendan Donaghy    B Mac Donnchaidh    An Chluain Mhór
Paul Duffy      P Ó Dufaigh    Na Piarsaigh Óga Ard Mhacha
Aaron  Kernan     A Mac Thiarnáin    Raonaithe na Croise
James Lavery    S Ó Labhra    Séan Mac Diarmada Machaire
Andy Mallon    A Ó Mealaín    Na Piarsigh Óga Ardmhacha
Finnian Moriarty    F Ó Muireartaigh    Uilf Tón Doire Mhic Áise
Barry Shannon    B Ó Seanáin    Naomh Padraig Droim an Tí
Charlie Vernon    C de Bhearnúin    Cláirsigh Ard Mhacha
Kieran Toner    C Mac Tomhnair    Naomh Mhuire An Gráinne Mór
Steven McDonnell    S Mac Domhnaill    Naomh Moiníne Cill Shléibhe

http://www.armagh-gaa.com/Football/News/Armagh-McKenna-Cup-Panel.aspx

never kickt a ball

Changes made to McKenna Cup dates

New dates have been agreed for some of next month's Barrett Sports Lighting Dr McKenna Cup matches, with the new experimental football rules in place.
Monaghan and UUJ will play their Group A opener at 1400 GMT on Saturday 9 January, while Tyrone will face Cavan at 1900 GMT on the same day.

Three games have been moved from Sunday 17 January to Saturday 16 January.
Armagh will face UUJ at 1400 GMT, with Cavan playing Donegal and Down playing Queen's at 1900 GMT on the same day.
The new rules were due to be implemented for the first time when the National League begins in February but the Ulster counties will now have an opportunity to familiarise themselves with the new-look game before that.

Barrett Electrical Dr McKenna Cup fixtures

Saturday 9 January

Group A

Monaghan v UUJ (Scotstown, 1400 GMT)

Group B

Tyrone v Cavan (Healy Park, 1900 GMT)

Sunday 10 January

Group A

Armagh v Fermanagh (Crossmaglen, 1400 GMT)

Group B

Donegal v S Mary's at Ballybofey (Ballybofey, 1400 GMT)

Group C

Derry v Down (Celtic Park, 1400 GMT)

Antrim v Queen's (Casement Park, 1400 GMT)

Saturday 16 January

Group A

Armagh v UUJ (Crossmaglen, 1400 GMT)

Group B

Cavan v Donegal (Breffni Park, 1900 GMT)

Group C

Down v Queen's (Pairc Esler, 1900 GMT)

Sunday 17 January

Group A

Fermanagh v Monaghan (Brewster Park, 1400 GMT)

Group B

Tyrone v St Mary's (Healy Park, 1400 GMT)

Group C

Antrim v Derry (Casement Park, 1400 GMT)

Wednesday 20 January - all 1900 GMT

Group A

Monaghan v Armagh (Inniskeen)

Fermanagh v UUJ (Brewster Park)

Group B

Cavan v St Mary's (Breffni Park)

Donegal v Tyrone (Ballybofey)

Group C

Down v Antrim (Pairc Esler)

Derry v Queen's (Celtic Park)

Saturday 23 January/Sunday 24: Semi-finals

Best runners-up v winners C

Winner A v Winner B

Saturday 30 January: Final

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8418347.stm

Published: 2009/12/17 12:05:38 GMT

Schkite

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 18, 2009, 10:17:12 PM
Good to see H McElroy in the Monaghan squad. He's dropped out before, but he's always had great potential.

Where has Downey gone to?

Anyone got any info on the new recruits? Living outside of the county i'm removed from club action.

Yeah good to see Hugh back, still worth a go and we're not exactly overflowing with forward options.

Haven't a clue what the story is with Downey, didn't realise his name missing at first as he wasn't mentioned in the article among the players who had been overlooked. I'd question another few omissions also, unless they're just out for the McKenna cup but that would seem strange. McBennett in particular, seems a bit of a turnaround from being number 1 to not being in the next year's squad.

Alot of new additions this year, a combination of young lads and older heads who would be around a while. It looks like they're aiming towards strengthening the midfield area in particular, which is badly needed. Caulfield, Farmer, Doogan and McKenna would play there for their clubs mostly so hopefully they can add to the panel in that regard. I'm particularly glad to see the likes of Greenan and McElroy called up, definitely think they can make an impact and contribute next year, both have been in very good form for Clontibret and Blayney respectively. Wylie also should be a good addition, played a big part in getting Ballybay to the league final. Haven't seen much of Malone yet but I'd wonder if he's too young yet, by all accounts though he's been doing well for Blayney aswell so we'll see. You could also question of he's too small aswell, then again you could say the same about McElroy so I might be contradicting myself there! Walsh is only out of minor, he was captain of the VEC team last year that won the All-Ireland, a very good prospect for the future but again I'd worry that he's too young for it and will spend his time warming the bench like other young players Banty has took onto the panel in recent years.

never kickt a ball

McCarron determined to grasp Fermanagh chance
21 December 2009

Former Tyrone forward Aidan McCarron is determined to make his mark with his adopted county of Fermanagh. The 27-year-old Fintona native came to Fermanagh manager Malachy O'Rourke's attention while lining out for Enniskillen Gaels this year, and has been included in the Erne County's McKenna Cup squad. Interestingly, Fermanagh will be the third county McCarron has represented after he featured for New York in the 2006 Connacht championship. "If I'm honest, I thought my inter-county career was over. I've been given this opportunity now and I'm relishing it and I'll grab it with both hands," he said in the Irish News. "I was in with Mickey Harte in 2006 and it didn't work out that year. I ended up playing for New York that year in the championship and we were unlucky not to beat Roscommon. "I went out to New York for St. Patrick's Day and I ended up staying for the remainder of 2006. I'd family out there. "To be honest, I really couldn't face going back and being seen as a failure with Tyrone because I was a bit younger then. I got my chance with New York and enjoyed it." "I came back at the end of 2006 and I got a call to go back into the Tyrone panel. I was in the whole year in 2007. I think I was top scorer in the Dr McKenna Cup, but I didn't really get a run in the league, a couple of minutes here and there. I didn't see any championship football. "In 2008 I was top scorer in the McKenna Cup again. I remember clashing with Kevin Cassidy of Donegal and getting stretchered off. So I was out for a while then. "I remember scoring seven points from play in an in-house match and the following Tuesday I got a letter to say that I was no longer required. You were left watching Tyrone go on and win an All-Ireland in 2008." He continued: "Fermanagh's big aim is to win an Ulster title. If I didn't think Fermanagh could achieve that, I wouldn't be throwing my hat in with them."

http://www.hoganstand.com/Fermanagh/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=121981

never kickt a ball

Gallaghers make Fermanagh return

Rory Gallagher and his brother Ronan have confirmed their return to county football after being named in Fermanagh's McKenna Cup panel. Having the St Gall's pair back in the squad is a major boost for Erne manager Malachy O'Rourke. "They want very much to be part of Fermanagh's plans and are very important to our plans," he said.
Injury rules out Marty McGrath and Barry Owens with former Tyrone prospect Aidan McCarron among the newcomers. The versatile McCarron plays his club football for Enniskillen Gaels. The Gallagher brothers will be in action with Belfast side St Gall's in the AIB All-Ireland club semi-final against Corofin in February. "The two boys are very keen to play for the county, which is great and we will be glad to have them back," O'Rourke told the Irish News. "Once their club commitments end, hopefully of course not until after the All-Ireland final on St Patrick's Day, they will give a big commitment to Fermanagh for the National League and the Championship. "I have been watching their progress with St Gall's and they have been very impressive." The Ernemen open their McKenna Cup campaign against Armagh in Crossmaglen on 10 January.

Fermanagh panel: C Breen, J McGrath, S Burns, R Foy, P Gormley, M Jones, D Kelly, B Mulrone, M O'Brien, D Ward, J Woods, P Sherry, S Goan, T McElroy, R Carson, K Cosgrove, P Cosgrove, S O'Brien, J Sherry, J Connolly, N Cunningham, C Flaherty, R Jones, D Keenan, M Keenan, R Keenan, A McCarron, C O'Brien, T O'Flanagan, P Ward.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8428652.stm

Shazam

Quote from: hardstation on December 23, 2009, 11:22:21 PM
When does the McKenna Cup finish? When do St.Gall's play the All Ireland semi?

Finishes 30th January

Semi final 14th February, Valentines Day to me and you
Shazam Bang

never kickt a ball

Quote from: hardstation on December 24, 2009, 12:07:26 AM
Quote from: Shazam on December 24, 2009, 12:00:33 AM
Quote from: hardstation on December 23, 2009, 11:22:21 PM
When does the McKenna Cup finish? When do St.Gall's play the All Ireland semi?

Finishes 30th January

Semi final 14th February, Valentines Day to me and you

Right, I am confused.

QuoteRory Gallagher and his brother Ronan have confirmed their return to county football after being named in Fermanagh's McKenna Cup panel.
QuoteOnce their club commitments end
Quotethey will give a big commitment to Fermanagh for the National League and the Championship
QuoteFermanagh panel: C Breen, J McGrath, S Burns, R Foy, P Gormley, M Jones, D Kelly, B Mulrone, M O'Brien, D Ward, J Woods, P Sherry, S Goan, T McElroy, R Carson, K Cosgrove, P Cosgrove, S O'Brien, J Sherry, J Connolly, N Cunningham, C Flaherty, R Jones, D Keenan, M Keenan, R Keenan, A McCarron, C O'Brien, T O'Flanagan, P Ward.

Leave the BBC alone Hardstation. They're trying to look interested.

thewanderer

Quote from: never kickt a ball on December 19, 2009, 08:48:15 PM
Donaghy is named Armagh captain

Brendan Donaghy is to deputise as Armagh captain during the McKenna Cup because regular skipper Ciaran McKeever is out with a cruciate ligament injury. McKeever, Martin O'Rourke, Stephen Kernan and Paul Courtney have all been left out of the Orchard County squad while they recover from injuries. Former Minor star Kevin Dyas is in the panel after spending two seasons with Aussie Rules club Collingwood. Armagh start their campaign against Fermanagh at Crossmaglen on 10 January.
Other former Minor players making the step-up to the senior squad include Martin Ferris, Colm Watters, Joe Feeney, Paul Magee, Adrian Conlon and Jason O'Neill. They impressed during trials held by new Armagh manager Paddy O'Rourke.
Story from BBC SPORT: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8422436.stm

Paul Hearty     P Ó hAghartaigh     Raonaithe na Croise
Martin Ferris    M Mac Fheoraois    Naomh Padraig Carraig Ropáin
Paul Kernan    P Mac Thiarnáin    Raonaithe na Croise
Paul Magee    P Mac Aoidh    Sáirséiligh na Móinte Arda
Shane O’Neill       S Ó Néill    Naomh Padraig Droim an Tí
Vincent Martin      U Ó Mairtín    Naomh Padraig Droim an Tí
Darnell Parkinson      D Mac Peáircín    Na Piarsaigh Óga Ard Mhacha
Malachy Mackin     M Ó Maicín    Naomh Padraig Coilleach Eannach
Ronan Austin                R Mac Aibhistín    Clan na Gael An Lorgain
Michael McNamee        M Mac Conmidhe    Raonaithe na Croise
Colm Watters      C Mac Uaitéir    Na Gormacha Baile Mhic Cullaigh
Jason O’Neill      S Ó Néill    Naomh Mhuire An Gráinne Mór
Tony Kernan    A Mac Thiarnáin    Raonaithe na Croise
Joe Feeney     S Ó Fianaí    Ropairí na Madán
Brian McCone         B Mac Comhain    Na Cloigthithe Baile Mhic an Aba
Philip McAvoy      P Mac Fhíobhúi    Naomh Padraig Droim an Tí
Kevin Dyas            C Mac Diais    Naomh Padraig Droim an Tí
Ryan Henderson     R Mac Éinrí    Clann Éireann An Lorgain
Brian Mallon       B Ó Mealain    Tír na nÓg Port An Dúnáin
Gareth Swift    G Ó Fuada    Clairsígh Ard Mhacha
Brendan Donaghy    B Mac Donnchaidh    An Chluain Mhór
Paul Duffy      P Ó Dufaigh    Na Piarsaigh Óga Ard Mhacha
Aaron  Kernan     A Mac Thiarnáin    Raonaithe na Croise
James Lavery    S Ó Labhra    Séan Mac Diarmada Machaire
Andy Mallon    A Ó Mealaín    Na Piarsigh Óga Ardmhacha
Finnian Moriarty    F Ó Muireartaigh    Uilf Tón Doire Mhic Áise
Barry Shannon    B Ó Seanáin    Naomh Padraig Droim an Tí
Charlie Vernon    C de Bhearnúin    Cláirsigh Ard Mhacha
Kieran Toner    C Mac Tomhnair    Naomh Mhuire An Gráinne Mór
Steven McDonnell    S Mac Domhnaill    Naomh Moiníne Cill Shléibhe

http://www.armagh-gaa.com/Football/News/Armagh-McKenna-Cup-Panel.aspx
Must be some players c watters, j oneill, t kernan j feeney when the county finalists can only get 1 forward each on the squad. dont think so?