McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyronie

Said on radio final will be in Healy pk on sat evenin! Did i not see/hear that if Tyrone won it would be in Breffni?
Northern Sound commentator did not seem to be most reliable source of information!

ONeill

After last year I think Tyrone supporters will not be getting carried away at all. When you win, they say your bench is strong. When you lose it's not.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

sam03/05

yes but when you win three games with basically three different teams then you have a strong bench

reddgnhand

QuoteSaid on radio final will be in Healy pk on sat evenin! Did i not see/hear that if Tyrone won it would be in Breffni?

According to the Irish News the game is in Omagh(7.30 et if req)

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: sam03/05 on February 13, 2007, 09:53:46 PM
yes but when you win three games with basically three different teams then you have a strong bench

Winning 3 games with almost different teams in February doesnt matter a bit if youre losing games come the summer though, the strength in depth wasnt there last year! (albeit any side would struggle without so many key men). All bodes well though, the panel looks like it should be a good bit stronger this season, there shouldnt be room for the passengers Tyrone were carrying last summer.
Also a great bonus to see Dooher back and flying. Thats him and Gormley back well before expected and McGuigan talking about a comeback in the next few weeks, things look decent enough for the Red Hands at this stage.

ONeill

Donegal should be a good test. Are they unbeaten in 2007 as well?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

Was in nightclass, so missed the game and all the on-line commentary. However I hear the commentary wasn't up to much. Couldn't believe the score when I logged onto the Internet to check at 9.30pm. I hope they don't get over confidence for Saturday and the National League.
Testing Accessibility

Armagh4SamAgain

Did many Tyronies go down to Cavan or was it to cold?
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

never kickt a ball

Just back from the game and YES the final is in Healy Park next Saturday night. First observation is that Monaghan were not their usual fired up self under McAneaney. They were also a few players short but so were Tyrone. The most striking image for me on the night was Tyrone comfortably cruising on the field while waves of Tyrone All-Stars performed their warm up routines along the sideline. Dooher, Cavanagh, Jordan, Mugsy, Harte, C Gormley, Carlin, McConnell (McGuigan and Ricey in storage and the University 8 not playing)...... As someone said earlier I don't envy Mickey Harte. All of the players looked comfortable on the ball and strolled around the park with authority. Curran again looked assured in goals. McGinley did his usual solid job at full back. Kelvin Hughes did well at midfield and Cavlan was majestic looking, spraying balls around the pitch to the forwards, prefering to do this than even attempt a shot. Penrose was energetic as usual but had three reasonable chances wide and when he did get a shot on target it dropped into the keepers arms. Rouse scored some good points including his jiggy routine at a free which always causes a stir in the crowd (O'Neill was off at this stage). Some good moves to get scores and O'Neill won man of the match with his 1-5 tally. Dooher returned and despite a low key profile he managed to sweep over two points - one an outside of the boot a la V Kerry 2003. The players i haven't mentioned all did well too.
After all that it's still feet on the ground, however, as this Monaghan team obviously had their eye on other things (League and Champ) and like all the teams Tyrone have played will be a different proposition down the line. A mouthwatering prospect the final next Saturday when no doubt Cavanagh, C Gormley, Jordan, O'Neill, Mugsy, Harte and Dooher will all be in line for prominent roles against a Donegal team who are playing well. Let's hope it lives up to its billing.  
Two observations about Breffni Pk. They have six sets of floodlights but don't seem to be any brighter than Healy and on the way out it is very dark and a safety hazard. Hopefully they will get perimeter lights soon.
Another observation was that like the Stephen McDonnell article today some of the Monaghan crowd started shouting at Freeman to work harder and look for the ball and seemed frustrated with him. Maybe an article for Gaelic Life? - how crowds treat their best players at times?

Over the Bar

just back from game.  doohers back! will post rest tomorrow.  nite!

never kickt a ball

Quotejust back from game.  doohers back!

YIP

ziggysego

Well done never kickt a ball on your 1000th post ;)
Testing Accessibility

realredhandfan

Exceptional Tyrone performance and the bar is being well and truly lifted this year.  Cavlan and Hughes bossed midfield with Cavlans flair and passing exceptional and Hughes workrate second to none.  Marlowe fared well. Couple of good runs from Quinn,  Stevie looks keen,  Dooher - what a couple of points particularly the first and great to see Jordan back, like his namesake all tan but unlike his namesake no upper body weight.  Ready for action.. Overall Im thrilled, and from a club persepctive I think Hughes was superb and will have gave his chances a huge boost.  Cavlan cannot be left out of that squad, hes playing the best football of his career.  Rouse got one superb point as well, needs a little work but looks to offer us something different as well. 

Over the Bar

Feck that mckenna cup numbering system is annoying!  & with no programme sellers about it took a lot of time to work out who was who.   As reported earlier a good dominant performance and thing looks good.  Mickey will have a tough job culling the team but I can't see either damien mcdermott or kelvin hughes making it on their performances last night.

realredhandfan

Otb, you dont know much about football son.  Hughes done more work last night than any other player on the pitch.  to put him in with Daisy is a great disservice and may I add michievous.