McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loughshore lad

As far as I remember Snowy was injured for the All Ireland final last year and therefore would not have been appearing regardless of Stevie O'Neill coming back or not.

Donagh

Quote from: loughshore lad on January 26, 2009, 11:33:06 AM
As far as I remember Snowy was injured for the All Ireland final last year and therefore would not have been appearing regardless of Stevie O'Neill coming back or not.

He was rigged out at the end and for the presentation of the cup.

ONeill

Quote from: Donagh on January 26, 2009, 11:56:11 AM
Quote from: loughshore lad on January 26, 2009, 11:33:06 AM

He was rigged out at the end and for the presentation of the cup.

Sure so was Michaela.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Redhandfan

Quote from: J70 on January 26, 2009, 12:36:45 AM
On Snowy O'Neill - didn't he play for Tyrone this time last year? Did he make the championship squad? If not, why not? Looks a very handy player.

Yes, Snowy O'Neill did play for Tyrone in last year's McKenna Cup and he did make the championship squad.  However, he was hampered by injuries for a good part of the season and struggled to make much of an impact.  I still think he has a lot of potential.  He was IMO one of the top  performers in Tyrone club football in 2007 when Dromore landed their first county title and came within a whisker of defeating Crossmaglen in the Ulster Championship. If his recent McKenna Cup displays are anything to go by, he looks to have rediscovered some of that form and should be retained on the Tyrone senior squad this summer.  He is still quite young and just needs to play with the same confidence at county level as he does with QUB.

Tyrone Dreamer

In case any Antim fans missed todays Belfast Telegraph:

Antrim secretary Frankie Quinn has a double fear surrounding the team's National League Division Four final against Sligo in Longford on Saturday (4.30pm).

"Longford is 120 miles from Belfast and the match is being televised live by TG4. That certainly won't encourage our fans to come out in numbers in this difficult financial climate," raps Quinn, "The sound of silence may not be so golden."

The Saffrons had initially made representations to have the match staged at either Enniskillen or Omagh but their plea fell on deaf ears.

Now Liam Bradley's side will go into their most important match of the year to date devoid of healthy vocal support.

"Obviously our die-hard fans will make the trip and very welcome they will be too. But the important thing is that the team should come back with the trophy, that's all that matters," adds Quinn.

Last year, Antrim won the Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup but that was their first trophy since they won the All Ireland 'B' Championship title in 1999.

"It would be great for Antrim football if a second trophy could be captured within the period of one year. And it would be even better if we could go on and make an impact in the Ulster Championship. One thing I will say about this Antrim side - they have no fear of anyone.

"Manager Liam Bradley has instilled a level of confidence and pride in the side and this is reflected in the manner in which they play," insists Quinn.

never kickt a ball

After today's game the focus will turn to this in Ulster. Anyone showing up in your county championships who you think will get a run out in this competition for their County?

doirebhoy

Saffrons

It has already been made I think.

never kickt a ball

Was made on 11th November last year. No sign of it yet this year.

drici

Gaelic Life no longer sponsoring the Dr McKenna Cup.
Could suggest that there is something in the rumours.

Rudigar

Quote from: drici on November 13, 2009, 10:13:01 AM

What rumours?

KIDDO 4

Donegal ,StMarys and Cavan in Tyrone section.

drici

Armagh
Fermanagh
Monaghan
UUJ

orangeman

Quote from: drici on November 13, 2009, 10:13:01 AM

The Ulster Council has secured a new sponsor for the Dr McKenna Cup after Gaelic Life's three-year deal elapsed.

However, officials won't reveal the identity of the new backer until next week. All nine Ulster counties as well as the three main universities, Queen's, UUJ and St. Mary's, will participate in the popular pre-season football competition next year.

It will be played off during the month of January and completed prior to the start of the National League. The fixtures, dates and venues for the 2010 McKenna Cup will also be announced next week.

Donegal are the reigning champions, having defeated Queen's University in last season's final.