McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: corn02 on January 18, 2009, 09:13:40 PM
Great game today considering the time of the year. O'Neill probably just about deserved man-of-the-match but McGuigan can't have been too far behind. Clerkin was very good for Monaghan, was funny watching him flinging Cavanagh around a few times near the end, Clerkin is a beast of a man. Cassidy impressive and McGinley, as usual, was very good.
Clerkin gets a lot of slagging, but he did some serious work today and covered a lot of ground. Also hit a nice point.

Maguire01

Quote from: Main Street on January 18, 2009, 08:06:45 PM
An entertaining enough game in the poor conditions.
Tyrone back line were good and swallowed up most of the high balls lobbed their way with ease.
Not bad for the AI champions to have a Stephen O'Neill to return to strengthen the team even more.
Have to agree - the high balls were a waste of time, especially in the second half with Woods some way from full fitness.

Maguire01

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on January 18, 2009, 07:14:33 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on January 18, 2009, 06:46:00 PM
7 points again for O'Neill.  From waht I;ve seen so far he's improved even further from his 2005 form.  Scary!

McKenna Cup alert!! McKenna Cup alert!!
Yes, you're right, and Monaghan did have a few new faces around the back today, but O'Neill's skill did shine through and he took some great points.

Main Street

Even if it's LOI or the GAA, I have to say TG4 are a breath of fresh air with their coverage.

The game today was treated with no less attention of their professionalism than if it was a high profile championship game.
Even down to the detail of catching the nice singer of the anthem on camera.

No cosy studio for these guys, they were out there in the middle of the elements introducing the various segments, with everything delivered on cue and with gusto.
From start to finish they succeeded in producing a high standard polished live transmission which was immensely enjoyable.

ONeill

That fairly warmed the cockles. Two good teams producing football like that in mid-Jan makes you want the summer to arrive asap. RHF covers everything excellently as usual. Cassidy is showing up well. He's perhaps the only player who would have one or two of the AIF side looking over their shoulder. Mulgrew still looks lost in the county set-up. Monaghan are a confident outfit as well and will go close in Division 2 again. Great hunger shown from the Tyrone old hands in Jordan, McGinley etc. This year has a different feel to it compared to '04 and '06.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Great fare for the middle of January today. Stevie back in the groove and in full fitness, testimony perhaps to the remedial power of cycling for the hamstrings. A few of the new faces will present MH with selection problems enough and more for the League, which is no bad thing. Mulgrew showed flashes today, with the promise of plenty more to come, I'm sure.

So we fail to qualify for the latter stages of the Mc Kenna for the second consecutive year... as per the pattern of 2008, so far.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

fitzroyalty

All the better considering they haven't been together that long (or shouldn't have been anyway).
Good high scoring game, S O'Neill, McGinley stood out for the enemy whilst for monaghan McManus, Freeman and the two new faces that came on as subs (names?) both scored nice points. Was also expecting a few more yellows, from Monaghan anyway! Fair play  :P

Schkite

Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 18, 2009, 11:42:36 PM
All the better considering they haven't been together that long (or shouldn't have been anyway).
Good high scoring game, S O'Neill, McGinley stood out for the enemy whilst for monaghan McManus, Freeman and the two new faces that came on as subs (names?) both scored nice points. Was also expecting a few more yellows, from Monaghan anyway! Fair play  :P

The two subs you're on about are Paul McGuigan and Paul Meegan. Meegan scored 2 and McGuigan 1. Neither are new though, Meegan was on the panel 2 years ago, came on against Kerry and got a mis-aimed kick in the face from Dara O'Sé! Wasn't on the panel last year because of injury I think. McGuigan's been on the panel a couple of years, a regular last year. Actually came on against Tyrone in the league game in 2006 and scored 3 pts from the 40 if I remember correctly. Used mostly as a wing-back since, even though he's a natural forward.

Schkite

Quote from: hardstation on January 19, 2009, 12:00:50 AM
Didn't McGuigan play full forward for SEM in the MacRory? He was captain when they got to the final.

Yep that's right.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Orchardcounty.com has the Armagh v Donegal game down for Healy Park, Omagh at 7 30pm this Wednesday. I'd assume QUB v Down is at the same time in Newry.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

laoisgaa

Wednesday 21st January (Both games at 7.30pm, Extra Time if necessary):
Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup: 
Semi Finals:        (1)   Queens    v  Down   
(2)   Donegal   v Armagh  at Omagh

western exile

From An Dún website down.gaa.ie

Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup: Down v Queens Thur 7.30 pm Newry
  Date : 18/01/2009 22:59

Down will take on Queens University Belfast on Thursday Night at 7.30pm in Pairc Esler, Newry in the Dr McKenna Cup Semi Final.

The match was originally fixed for Wed night but Down boss Ross Carr agreed to change the match to Thursday night as Queens would have been missing upwards to 12 of their starting team due to exams.

charlie stubbs

Quote from: western exile on January 19, 2009, 02:11:16 AM

Down will take on Queens University Belfast on Thursday Night at 7.30pm in Pairc Esler, Newry in the Dr McKenna Cup Semi Final.

The match was originally fixed for Wed night but Down boss Ross Carr agreed to change the match to Thursday night as Queens would have been missing upwards to 12 of their starting team due to exams.

awful good of ross..

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Schkite on January 18, 2009, 11:58:33 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 18, 2009, 11:42:36 PM

The two subs you're on about are Paul McGuigan and Paul Meegan. Meegan scored 2 and McGuigan 1. Neither are new though, Meegan was on the panel 2 years ago, came on against Kerry and got a mis-aimed kick in the face from Dara O'Sé! Wasn't on the panel last year because of injury I think. McGuigan's been on the panel a couple of years, a regular last year. Actually came on against Tyrone in the league game in 2006 and scored 3 pts from the 40 if I remember correctly. Used mostly as a wing-back since, even though he's a natural forward.

pardon my ignorance! Wasn't familiar with either!

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: charlie stubbs on January 19, 2009, 12:07:00 PM
Quote from: western exile on January 19, 2009, 02:11:16 AM

awful good of ross..

Only 2 days between the semi final and final now.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead